The Official Movie Thread

tumblr_lyc6qrjkr51qjoyrwo1_500.gif

Decided to rewatch a favourite called Shadow and Fog. Fuck the critics I still think this is Woody Allen's most underrated film (though not all their points are off-base).

The combination of German expressionism and foggy set-based Hammer horror (seriously the set is massive and gorgeous), a huge cast of actors in major and minor roles (Mia Farrow, John Cusack, Madonna, Jodie Foster, Kathy Bates, William H. Macy, John Malkovich, Donald Pleasence, Kurtwood Smith, John C. Reilly, Wallace Shawn "and so on and so on"), gloomy atmosphere, philosophical and religious ruminations, cynical depictions of society and Allen's iconic rambling and witty neurosis is like a dream for me.

xdxdxd.jpg

Woody Allen even has a George Costanza moment towards the end when he goes to have sex with a whore (Jodie Foster) and it cuts to him in bed making excuses for not being able to perform. It's all here if you're a fan of his but the strange setting elevates it from being just another movie where Woody Allen rattles off barbed witticisms about the nature of man and turns it into a pretty bizarre but beautifully filmed thriller. Also no lame Scooby Do ending tied up in a neat bow for the audience.

https://www.cnet.com/news/peter-dinklage-is-the-new-toxic-avenger-in-the-upcoming-reboot/

So looks like Peter Dinklage is playing The Toxic Avenger in the reboot being written and directed by Macon Blair.

I imagine he's going to play the voice of Toxie after he transforms? Can't imagine having a 51 year old play Melvin pre Toxie and definitely not having Dinklage as a mini Toxie lol.

Either way super curious about this. I wonder how far they are gonna push the gore. With Blair directing and Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz producing, I can't imagine it'll be too tame.

Reactions: CiG
Watching Brady Corbet's second feature:

View attachment 26682

I should have known what to expect after seeing (and loving) The Childhood of a Leader but holy fuck that's one way to start a film about the rise of a pop star. Disturbing.

Edit: This was unexpected. Stacy Martin in Vox Lux wearing a Imperial Triumphant shirt.

View attachment 26684

Edit 2: This would make an amazing double billing with Her Smell.

Watched this the other day and thought the directorial decisions were for the most part excellent. The decision to shoot the opening classroom scene from the perspective of the teacher was inspired and the linkage between the commoditisation of popular music and tragedy was really interesting . I was less enamoured with the second half. Portman over acted and didnt seem like a logistical extension of the Celeste character, even making generous allowance for a decade of paparazzi, drugs and alcohol.

Watched this the other day and thought the directorial decisions were for the most part excellent. The decision to shoot the opening classroom scene from the perspective of the teacher was inspired and the linkage between the commoditisation of popular music and tragedy was really interesting . I was less enamoured with the second half. Portman over acted and didnt seem like a logistical extension of the Celeste character, even making generous allowance for a decade of paparazzi, drugs and alcohol.

Well, I at least agree that the first half was superior.

Edit: Watching...

MV5BMGY2MDFlMTAtODU3NS00MDkxLThiMTItMTBlMDliNmMwOGQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg

Tied with Coffy for my favourite blaxploitation movie. So many good one liners.

Last edited:
R.I.P. Toecutter/ Immortan Joe

RCbX4Ve.png

Damn just watched these movies recently

Damn that fucking sucks!

Never heard of that Adkins movie but that looks like some dumb fun, cheers for sharing.

Edit: Started watching this movie ages ago but something came up so I'm giving it another go...

ak-nyeo_273680fd.jpg

I remember the opening sequence being pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Watching Castle Freak 2020.
Holy fucking shit why does this exist?

might be as fucked as the original actually. Hats off

Good to know a true horror head approves of it, I want to see it but was unsure.

It’s partly the sexual violence of the original but then they mixed it with The Void.

I’ll definitely need to watch it when I can focus a bit more but plenty of nudity, gore, and then bam yog sothoth in your fucking face.