The Official Movie Thread

I've been neglecting foreign language cinema lately so I'll probably turn that around by checking it out.

Watching Brady Corbet's second feature:

dhdfhdf.jpg

I should have known what to expect after seeing (and loving) The Childhood of a Leader but holy fuck that's one way to start a film about the rise of a pop star. Disturbing.

Edit: This was unexpected. Stacy Martin in Vox Lux wearing a Imperial Triumphant shirt.

kjh.jpg

Edit 2: This would make an amazing double billing with Her Smell.

Last edited:
Watched earlier...

23393_2_large.jpg

Badass flick. Love everything James Glickenhaus directed or had a hand in making

Reactions: CiG
A few updates:

Leos Carax’s Rock Opera ‘Annette’ with Adam Driver Will Be Told Almost Entirely Through Song.
Leos Carax’s first film since 2012’s “Holy Motors,” “Annette” would’ve premiered at the Cannes Film Festival this year. But the French film celebration’s delay and inevitable downsizing, and whatever form it takes, mean that Carax’s rock opera starring Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard as lovers will likely show up at the later fall film festivals. If they happen at all.

Carax’s first full-on English-language film, “Annette” is a musical set in Los Angeles that will feature original music from the ’70s rock band Sparks, and it tells a love story between a stand-up comic (Driver) and an opera star (Cotillard). In a new interview with KMUW, via The Film Stage, Sparks’ co-frontman Ron Mael said, “I think maybe the film will be shown at the Venice and Toronto Film Festivals if those are still on in the fall. It’s really special. It’s different than a normal movie musical, as you might expect coming from us. It’s just such a thrill that such big names were impressed enough by it to want to become involved.”

Paul Thomas Anderson’s 'Soggy Bottom' Wraps Filming.
In our current climate, it’s quite an achievement for any film to safely wrap production––and such an update brings even greater excitement when it’s our most-anticipated film in the works. Paul Thomas Anderson, cast, and crew can now have a socially distanced celebration as the $40 million production has wrapped on his 1970s-set film going under the working title Soggy Bottom.

As revealed by Oscar-winning costume designer Mark Bridges (Phantom Thread, Inherent Vice) in a now-deleted Instagram post, production on the film has wrapped after about a three-month shoot. Led by Philip Seymour Hoffman’s son, Cooper Hoffman, as well as Bradley Cooper, Alana Haim, and Benny Safdie, the film shot in and around the San Fernando Valley.

Following the story of a high school student and successful child actor (Hoffman), as well an old-school producer/director (Cooper) and a politician running for office (Safdie), hopefully we’ll see the film surface later next year after post-production concludes.

‘Florida Project’ Director Sean Baker Shooting Secret Movie With Simon Rex.
Sean Baker is close to wrapping “Red Rocket,” a secret film he has been shooting in Texas.

The dark comedy will star Simon Rex of the “Scary Movie” franchise and “Jack & Jill.” Plot details are being kept under wraps, but production should be finished this month. The film was independently financed and will be looking for distribution.

Baker isn’t the only director to take up his camera in secret. Steven Soderbergh applied a similar under-the-radar approach while making his upcoming movie “Let Them All Talk,” which will star Meryl Streep and Gemma Chan.

Work on “Red Rocket” commenced as Hollywood and the independent film community that Baker belongs to are trying to find a way to make movies safely during coronavirus. The film has employed industry standard safety protocols.

Paul Verhoeven's ‘Benedetta' Has French Release Date Moved to May 2021.
Hotshot French producer Saïd Ben Saïd has confirmed that Paul Verhoeven’s “Benedetta,” which was supposed to compete at this year’s Cannes Film Film Festival, will be now released in May 2021. This new date suggests an almost-guaranteed Cannes 2021 competition slot.

The fact that Verhoeven’s film has been pushed back by nearly a year must mean that its producers, which include Ben Saïd, think highly of the film’s chances to win the Palme D’or at next year’s Cannes. It could also mean that Cannes boss Thierry Fremaux has told Verhoeven that his film is guaranteed a competition slot at next year’s festival. Expect more Cannes-worthy films to be pushed back a year now.

“Benedetta” stars Virginie Efira and Charlotte Rampling and was initially planned for Cannes 2019, but its distributor Pathé had decided to postpone the release to 2020 due to medical reasons (Verhoeven needed to have a hip operation and wasn’t going to be able to attend the fest). So one more year, one less year, you get used to it, but our desire for watching this movie remains very high.

Verhoven’s 17th feature is set in a 15th century ravaged with the plague (how apropos) as young novice Benedetta Carlini (Efira) joins a convent of nuns in Tuscany. Her presence disrupts the social dynamic and hierarchy and unleashes a series of furious consequences.

Joyce Carol Oates Praises Andrew Dominik’s ‘Blonde’ Rough Cut: ‘Brilliant, Very Disturbing’.
The filmmaker behind “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” and “Killing Them Softly” is back after nearly a decade hiatus with “Blonde,” an adaptation of Joyce Carol Oates’ 2000 novel of the same name that takes a fictionalized look at the inner life of Marilyn Monroe. The author revealed on Twitter she has seen Dominik’s first cut of “Blonde,” and she has nothing but praise to share about it.

“I have seen the rough cut of Andrew Dominick’s [sic] adaptation and it is startling, brilliant, very disturbing and perhaps most surprisingly an utterly ‘feminist’ interpretation,” Oates wrote. “Not sure that any male director has ever achieved anything [like] this.”

Certainly with you on Carax, a musical in collaboration with The Sparks? That sounds amazing.

Edit: Looking forward to Mank too, Fincher's new one which comes to Netflix very soon.

Last edited:
yeah me too probably, i like both though. riddick has that awesome wordless stretch at the start and that ridiculous head/box set piece, and i dig the dumb joss whedon-style bad guy banter as well tbh. somehow i’ve seen both of these movies like 4 times but have never seen the chronicles of riddick, dunno why.

Reactions: CiG