The Official Movie Thread

View attachment 29322

Pretty impressive debut right here. The director Mark Toia is an Australian who has been making advertisements for like 20 years and recently decided to try his hand at film. He and his wife bankrolled this whole thing with their own money apparently which is surprising because the CGI doesn't feel like it.

Looking around I'm seeing people describe it as "RoboCop meets Predator" which isn't too far off or anything but personally I'd go with something more accurate (and less hype/complimentary) like CHAPPiE meets Rambo 2, with a pinch of Rambo 4 and The Terminator franchise. The cast gets put through a gauntlet. It's violent as shit, the robots are animated with some class, the acting isn't too awful for a bunch of mostly nobodies (the director could afford one "star" and he chose Neal McDonough) and there is some cool use of old school gore effects which was a nice touch.

Definitely recommend for anybody who likes a nice simplistic action/sci-fi/survival shoot 'em up, which is a rare thing for a 2020 movie.

Just checked this out--what a fun yet simultaneously impressive film. I wasn't prepared for the high FX quality; the only times it really suffered was during the robot-on-robot fights, but still better than most of the big budget CGI flair.

I agree about the acting, for the most part. Some of the script is contrived, but exposition of science-y stuff can be difficult. I was also moved by the film's political investments re. US occupation in foreign countries.

I mean, what a historical moment to have a young boy crying over the corpse of his father, and to linger on that shot for a seriously long time.

I feel like there's also a subtext about complicity. A lot of characters (mainly white/US characters) bear some responsibility for what happens, even if they exhibit remorse. And the film pulls no punches with its body count.

Reactions: CiG
I see this is playing on amazon prime, I'll check it out later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks

Just started watching.....

i0DPmpo.jpg

wow i somehow remember this movie because I turned on Starz at some point in the middle of the night when I was in middle school and this pile of shit was on :lol: guessing it is in fact a piece of shit with no follow-up :lol: :lol:

watched Do The Right Thing -- I guess with the climax, which is very similar to the intro in Boyz N the Hood (I think? teenagers shoot up asian store owners, can't remember which one it is), am I a dirty ass racist for not feeling any sympathy in these two scenes for the "black response"? :lol: :lol: curious how others take these two things, where I think Spike wants us to believe it's an appropriate response?

I watched Happy New Year, Colin Burstead last night which means I've now seen all of Ben Wheatley's feature films. Feels good. Here's how I would rank them all:

1. A Field in England
2. Kill List
3. High-Rise
4. In the Earth
5. Sightseers
6. Happy New Year, Colin Burstead
7. Down Terrace
8. Free Fire
9. Rebecca

Watching Neill Blomkamp's new movie tonight:

Demonic-2021.jpg

Edit: Well that was definitely Blomkamp's weakest movie so far. Not terrible, but not really my kind of thing. Still it was a somewhat interesting new spin on the whole demonic possession subgenre, mixed with a virtual reality sci-fi thing that feels like the only Blomkampian part of the whole movie. The acting seemed particularly weak, other than Michael Rogers (who was awesome in Beyond the Black Rainbow) who felt like the only solid member of the cast to me.

Last edited:
Mandalorian jetsam Gina Carano makes ‘White Knuckle’ return to cinemas in 2022
The former face of women’s MMA has scored her first movie under The Daily Wire, a revenge thriller based on the novel “White Knuckle” from author Eric Red, who also penned scripts for “The Hitcher” and “Near Dark.”

“I’m completely ignited to be creating this thriller with The Daily Wire and Bonfire Legend,” the former “Haywire” lead told Deadline. “I feel I am exactly where I want and need to be at this moment in my life; it feels as if I have wings.”

Carano was recently fired from the ultra-popular “Mandalorian” series on Disney+ after a series of “abhorrent and unacceptable” social media posts, but was quickly uncanceled by Ben Shapiro in defiance of the “authoritarian Hollywood Left.”

“White Knuckle” is the story of a “traumatized” but “strong-willed” woman and the truck driver she hires to help track down and exact revenge against a serial killer.

What the fuck is the timeline we're living in anymore. Ben Shapiro is now bankrolling movies? :lol:

bea6e710397f9b7c9b0c1cbb59d8deef_c77ba623-1b85-40c7-8ddd-255946bc6a9d_480x.progressive.jpg

What a masterpiece. Sad that this is the only movie Steven Seagal ever directed. On the other hand, when you get everything right the first time around, I suppose there is no need for a second try.

Any one else waiting for the newest spider man movie??

Far From Home was pretty crap, so no not really.

bea6e710397f9b7c9b0c1cbb59d8deef_c77ba623-1b85-40c7-8ddd-255946bc6a9d_480x.progressive.jpg

What a masterpiece. Sad that this is the only movie Steven Seagal ever directed. On the other hand, when you get everything right the first time around, I suppose there is no need for a second try.

I liked how Michael Caine put in so much time and effort to master a Texan accent.

Old Seagal films are always a perfect way to spend my sparse days off of my jobs.

Also,

MV5BYjNlMDk3ZTUtMjMwYi00MTJhLWJhZTMtYThiNDE4MzQ5YmY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

As bad as this movie may be, objectively, I can't bring myself to hate it. I actually had an ok time. Sorry, not sorry

I liked how Michael Caine put in so much time and effort to master a Texan accent.

The whole movie has a much better cast than it has any right to. I guess nothing attracts talent like the words "Steven Seagal directorial debut". I especially liked John C. McGinley as the villain's unhinged henchman.

The whole movie has a much better cast than it has any right to. I guess nothing attracts talent like the words "Steven Seagal directorial debut". I especially liked John C. McGinley as the villain's unhinged henchman.

Michael Caine is one of the more honest actors when it comes to admitting they did shitty movies or took roles strictly for cash. He's recounted On Deadly Ground before:

The danger is, of course, that the wait for a decent movie makes you desperate, and I got desperate to the point that I accepted a picture in Alaska with Steven Seagal, the martial arts expert. The movie was called On Deadly Ground and the title was to prove apt.

Although Steven and the rest of the team were great to work with, I had broken one of the cardinal rules of bad movies: if you're going to do a bad movie, at least do it in a great location.

Here I was, doing a movie where the work was freezing my brain and the weather was freezing my arse. I vowed never to work in a tough location again. The litmus test for this, I decided, would be my wife.

If Shakira refuses to come, I ain't going. I remember asking her if she would like to come to Alaska and she didn't even bother to reply. I should have got the warning. I've been lucky with my career. Like most people, I've screwed up a couple of times and got away with it.

I checked out a psychological thriller called Rent-A-Pal today, honestly mostly because I saw @Slayed Necros rated it pretty high and it looked pretty weird. Definitely cool and I feel like Wil Wheaton was born to do this role. :lol:

sdkjfh.png

It taps into some interesting social issues that I won't go into for spoilery reasons but ultimately I did think the finale was a bit predictable. Still, worth a watch if you're into shit dealing with loneliness, delusion, psychology, proto-virtual reality etc. Also props to the lead, I'm assuming he's not a big name or anything, but his quirky indie/mumblecore style keeps the film grounded in a way that protects it from descending into cheese.

Watched this last night

19544_1_large.jpg

Going to try watch as many movies from that post-apocalyptic book as possible. Starting at the front and go down the list. I've probably seen about 70% of them at some point, but revisiting some of them and finding the ones I haven't seen should be a challenge.