The Official Movie Thread

reminder he was originally gonna be the director of lords of chaos, if they’d given him creative freedom it would’ve been crazy lol. i’m guessing he pulled out because they didn’t do that.

Reactions: CiG
Saw Malignant. Reasonably entertaining (second half at least) with some cool effects but hasn't changed my views on Wan. The first half is total by-the-numbers horror: lame jump scares, characters like the scientist, abusive husband and sassy black cop couldnt be more stereotypical if they tried, and a score that is intrusive and inappropriate. And speaking of stereotypical, the group of degenerates in the police lock up doing the whole 'fresh fish' routine was (unintentionally) hilarious, like Wan has never seen a prison and got everything he knows from Orange is the New Black.

The acting is all round awful too, especially the two cops.

Been watching a lot of stuff lately (mostly due to the October horror marathon thing) but these two really stood out:

46420-locandina-big.jpg

The Loved Ones (2009) By the guy who directed that lowkey hit The Devil's Candy. Honestly the blurb on the poster is pretty accurate; Pretty In Pink meets Wolf Creek. This one is pretty bonkers and I went in completely blind so yeah it was a wild experience. Cannibals, eating roadkill, homemade lobotomies, incest, early 00's nostalgia (not sure if Kasey Chambers made it across the pond), sadism, Ozploitation. This is one of those movies that feels like it could have torpedoed into a shitpile if they took a wrong step tonally, but as wacky and crazy as the movie is, it's played so straight that it works. Kind of has to be seen to be understood.

MV5BNTM4Nzg2MTI1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjIwODcyMTI@._V1_.jpg

Catfight (2017) I'd been wanting to see this for ages and then it randomly came to Netflix recently. It was actually even better than I was expecting. I thought it was just gonna be a quirky black comedy about two women that hate each other, but it turned out to be steeped in political satire with messaging about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Very on-the-nose (lol) but without feeling hacky. The only thing I can think to compare it to is that recent political satire The Hunt. Just when you think you've guessed the film's political angle it shifts up again and sort of exposes the viewer's own bias in assuming where it was headed. Also the fight scenes are fucking brutal, and it's funny too.

b494d70b1ef840213b90b50b331e00e7.gif

I also had to eat my words about Rob Zombie's first Halloween remake. I never hated it or anything but I never had much of a high opinion on it either, so I rewatched it the other day and really enjoyed it.

I still thought the actor playing kid Michael Myers was a bit cringe and miscast, and nothing during his childhood really explains anything or has any real reason to exist other than the façade of an origin story, but the rest of the movie makes up for it. I really liked the soundtrack and the tone of the film this time around for some reason and I suppose with so many years of seeing other films between now and when I last watched it, the gigantic support cast of familiar faces was fucking awesome to see.

Ken Foree getting Terminator'd for his clothes at a truck stop was a nice touch. Also the idea of a gigantic white trash psychopathic killer being unleashed on his old now gentrified neighbourhood adds an extra layer of something I really like.

I also rewatched Rob Zombie's Halloween II but that was about as good as I remember. Tonally weird and confused, retarded character developments that felt shoehorned and crappy (Laurie going from the typical suburban good girl in the first movie to a pUnK rAwK cHiCk who wears Black Flag shirts and dances around to "Kick Out The Jams" in the sequel due to her trauma was so stupid), Michael Myers being strangely loud and grunty when he kills people (silent Michael or GTFO) and other things I'm forgetting right now.

Last edited:
Damn rms liked it? Holy shit, I can't wait to see it this weekend.

:lol:

I'm glad, I thought it was a solid adaptation. Has its shortcomings, but I'll chalk that up to it being one half the story.

Despite its undoubtedly grand approach to visual scale, it's pretty minimalist when it comes to dialogue. For those unfamiliar with the plot, it might be difficult to follow at times. Not the overall gist, i.e. chosen one goes to foreign planet to save an oppressed people--but all the subtleties of the narrative, like the ambiguity of Paul's mission, the constructedness of his "chosen" path, etc. might get lost in the cinematic grandeur. Hopefully Part II amplifies these elements.

But as a fan, I thought it was a really sharp and tonally appropriate adaptation. There was a surreal bleakness to the atmosphere that felt spot on.

To be fair the only other Wes Anderson movie I've seen in adulthood is Isle of Dogs so it's possible I never had anything against his style but simply picked the absolute worst place to start. The French Dispatch was affected as hell but the style integrated well with the newspaper framing device and there was real pathos in some of the stories.

I don't know if his older movies are like this at all but I loved how my eyes had to dart all around the screen to follow the action. You have these static shots where different sections of the frame come alive in order and your eyes just follow along like you're watching a rat running through a maze and it invites you to engage with the whole picture in a way I'm not sure I've experienced in film before. I'm tempted to go see it again before its theatrical run is over.

Reactions: CiG
To be fair the only other Wes Anderson movie I've seen in adulthood is Isle of Dogs so it's possible I never had anything against his style but simply picked the absolute worst place to start.

Ah. Yeah, I think you did. But at the same time, working your way backwards will still be fun if you liked The French Dispatch so much. How you described it kind of sounds like The Grand Budapest Hotel.

:lol:

I'm glad, I thought it was a solid adaptation. Has its shortcomings, but I'll chalk that up to it being one half the story.

Despite its undoubtedly grand approach to visual scale, it's pretty minimalist when it comes to dialogue. For those unfamiliar with the plot, it might be difficult to follow at times. Not the overall gist, i.e. chosen one goes to foreign planet to save an oppressed people--but all the subtleties of the narrative, like the ambiguity of Paul's mission, the constructedness of his "chosen" path, etc. might get lost in the cinematic grandeur. Hopefully Part II amplifies these elements.

But as a fan, I thought it was a really sharp and tonally appropriate adaptation. There was a surreal bleakness to the atmosphere that felt spot on.

Yeah that's missing a little. I'm just behind where the movie ends in reading, but christ the book is rough for me. Don't think I'm a sci-fi book guy :lol: