The Official Movie Thread

Same, might be top 5 MCU for me. Gorgeous, fluid action scenes, great villain, likeable cast overall (I might be in a minority but I actually liked Awkwafina's sidekick/comic relief/love interest character.) The only part that didn't work for me was the CGI monster battle at the end.

Same, might be top 5 MCU for me. Gorgeous, fluid action scenes, great villain, likeable cast overall (I might be in a minority but I actually liked Awkwafina's sidekick/comic relief/love interest character.) The only part that didn't work for me was the CGI monster battle at the end.

I have never really understood the appeal of Awkwafina's comedy but in this movie I really thought she was fantastic with both halves of her performance.

MV5BOTUxNmZiOWQtOWFmMy00YTU1LTkzMGItOTRhZDA0ZDAwMDE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc2NjEyMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Just pure action movie fantasia, every gun is loaded with fireworks, shotguns reload to crashes of thunder, JCVD kicks and shoots people interchangeably in melee range, every kick and blow lands with the most comically bone-crunching sound, slo-mo, freeze-frames, wipe transitions that make a "swoosh" sound, Lance Henriksen in top form, pigeons and a phantasmagoric final showdown in a burning warehouse full of Mardi Gras props. I'm so in awe of this thing, probably one of the most movie movies I've ever seen and an instant favorite. I haven't liked the other Hollywood-era Woo films I've seen and I suspect it's because he toned down his style after this one was critically panned (by morons.) This one is just 120% Woo and it's fucking glorious.

Last edited:
I'm sure it would, wonder if I could get my student film club to vote it into the spring program :p It is a fantastic movie on any screen though!

Yeah, we're doing screenings at half capacity right now and starting in October we'll be able to have full theaters. We screened Spirited Away two weeks ago, we're doing The Lighthouse tomorrow, and then the rest of the term is Clerks, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Blade Runner 2049, Lars and the Real Girl and Ran, in that order.

Just pure action movie fantasia, every gun is loaded with fireworks, shotguns reload to crashes of thunder, JCVD kicks and shoots people interchangeably in melee range, every kick and blow lands with the most comically bone-crunching sound, slo-mo, freeze-frames, wipe transitions that make a "swoosh" sound, Lance Henriksen in top form, pigeons and a phantasmagoric final showdown in a burning warehouse full of Mardi Gras props. I'm so in awe of this thing, probably one of the most movie movies I've ever seen and an instant favorite. I haven't liked the other Hollywood-era Woo films I've seen and I suspect it's because he toned down his style after this one was critically panned (by morons.) This one is just 120% Woo and it's fucking glorious.

your description of this movie makes me imagine 2 people coming out of the movie, one person going "that was the most horrible movie EVER" and then the other person going "that was the most awesome movie EVER" while talking about the same movie

Watched Old last night...Christ this was bad. Seems like a big direction change from the graphic novel, too. We know the twist is coming and he still misses :lol:

And finally got to see Raw...missing alot of the fuss around it other than just purely grotesque in a way that was worth watching. Maybe I'll see it again sometime. Her new one is playing here so that would be nice to sneak out and see some more weird shit :lol: