The Official Movie Thread

the circle jerk every shyamalan movie gets from a certain sect of people is so insane lol

i just mildly like raw myself but titane looks intriguing. won the palme at cannes too for what it’s worth.
oh god
these clearly bat-shit-crazy-people are giving the exact-same type of reviews as the dumb-asses who thought Batman v Superman was "psychologically deep"
its really hilarious
clearly M Night is just pushing what he can do in his movies, but he's really just pushing to push as opposed to pushing in a specific direction
these people are reading way too much into his movies

i remember saying that the target audience for Quentin Tarantino's movies is really just Quentin Tarantino and these dumb-ass movie reviewers are making me realize that M night is really just doing the same

now
don't misunderstand me here
i personally love Quentin's movies and i love Unbreakable and i even kinda like M Night's other movies
but to suggest that either director is making movies for anyone other than himself is kinda ridiculous at this point

I like Awkwafina, she was so surprisingly good in The Farewell. Knowing she's a comical sidekick in that new MCU movie motivates me to see it.

Last night I watched Wonder Woman 1984, what a pile. Terrible script, terrible acting, terrible attempt at getting the period down convincingly. Wasted opportunities like getting a killer 80's pop or synth soundtrack. Boring premise, Gal Gadot is wooden as fuck like always. At one point early on Kristen Wiig drops some papers and says to a guy nearby "I know, walk much?"

Jenkins gets points for outdoing the first movie, I didn't think she could possibly do worse. Proved the world wrong.

MV5BYmQzNmY3YzItOTE3OC00NGZjLTkwZDYtOWVmM2QyMzhiYTgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I actually thought this was amazing and am surprised to hear that a lot of people hated it. It managed to be both its own thing and an extension of the series. And if it's anything like the series I won't fully grasp how good it is until I watch it a couple more times.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
a4976527c0424c6a9c48a330baff88e3.jpg

Rewatched Teeth the other day, such a good movie. Feels like a Jared Hess movie that got twisted into a "social commentary" comedy horror. The scenes of violence in Teeth are still some of the most cringe-inducing I've ever seen, way more than anything I've seen in movies trying really hard to be sadistic.

It's offbeat, clever without being pretentious, and graphic as fuck when it needs to be. Recommended for anybody into black comedies with blatant but well-executed messaging. The final act has one of the most fucked up yet funny scenes ever put to film, haha.

I also rewatched Cronenberg's Shivers last night and for the first time I finally saw Keoma. Both ruled.

Last edited:
33686-love-exposure-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Thoughts on this?

Its flaws are pretty major. Overlong and over-expository to the point of self-indulgence, rehashing the same upskirt jokes (funny as they are) and anti-religious imagery again and again. And although the length of the movie (4 hours!) does serve a purpose, putting the would-be lovers through the wringer in a manner of Shakespearean proportions, the eventual denouement still somehow manages to seem rushed.

Having said that, I was still massively entertained. It felt fresh, subversive and frequently hilarious. I get a lot of Midsummer Night's Dream influence (Koike as Puck). And the kid playing Yu is absolutely brilliant, throwing himself into everything with complete abandon.

sono is one of my favourite active filmmakers and that’s his greatest film, but he has many unique gems. i’d highly recommend following up with the likes of guilty of romance, himizu, love and peace and why don’t you play in hell.

sono is one of my favourite active filmmakers and that’s his greatest film, but he has many unique gems. i’d highly recommend following up with the likes of guilty of romance, himizu, love and peace and why don’t you play in hell.

I'm definitely keen to see more, including the new one Red Post on Escher Street. I have seen Why Dont You Play in Hell but dont recall much about it.