The Official Movie Thread

how do you feel about post-90s egoyan in general? seems like he gets a terrible rep these days but i haven't seen any of it
It does seem to get a bit spotty after Felicia's Journey (1999) but admittedly there's a lot that I haven't gotten to either. Two are are excellent however are Where the Truth Lies (2005) and Adoration (2008). The former is like a mid-90's erotic thriller that somehow managed to get made in the mid-2000's. Sleazy and glossy as fuck. Real dreamy too with all the non-linear storytelling. Kevin Bacon has the market cornered on asshole characters.

Adoration is a late-career masterwork, no hyperbole. Could have been made anytime between Speaking Parts and The Sweet Hereafter. Him and his usual collaborators were just firing on all cylinders on that one. Some of his most effective non-linear editing, on par with Roeg. Mychael Danna might have done his best work on it. Really outstanding violin work on the soundtrack. Fist time I watched it I was in a weird headspace but was swooning within seconds of the opening credits.

Fucking terrible news. I only know him from the Marvel films but I thought he was great in them and was looking forward to seeing the Black Panther play a prominent role in the second generation of The Avengers. Shocked to hear he was apparently battling cancer all this time.

Last edited:
Fucking terrible news. I only know him from the Marvel films but I thought he was great in them and was looking forward to seeing the Black Panther play a prominent role in the second generation of The Avengers. Shocked to hear he was apparently battling cancer all this time.

I liked a film he did called Message from the King, kind of an oddball revenge flick.

Np

12747_1_large.jpg

Saw Tenet yesterday. Thought it was great and I want to see it again. Haven't seen the last couple Nolan films but this was the most Nolan-y film that I've seen. (The most mechanical, most plot-over-character-driven, the most convoluted, etc.) I can see from the reviews a lot of people respond negatively to that sort of indulgence but I kinda appreciate seeing directors go all-in on their hallmarks sometimes and produce their most characteristic movie. Wasn't a super huge fan of Inception but this was basically the parts of Inception I actually liked, times ten.

On a negative note I am struggling to remember most of the action scenes. There's certainly nothing on the level of creativity of the rotating hallway scene in Inception.