The Official Movie Thread

MV5BMjVlYzJhMGQtZjMzNC00ZDc1LWFjZDMtZDk1ZTQxZTdhNDZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzEyMTA5MTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Watched this because I saw it was written by Na Hong-Jin (writer/director of The Wailing).

Thematically and stylistically very similar to The Wailing too. The plot is not as clever as The Wailing, but it has the same slow burn before unleashing. Pretty intense.

Not a big fan of the doco / found footage style (it's always so convenient how they keep shooting perfectly no matter what's going on around them) but that's a fairly minor gripe.

Pickman's Muse (2010 - US): One of the best Lovecraft adaptations I've ever seen. Thrilled to discover this overlooked precious gem of a movie!!! The amalgamation of the psychotic and the occult was spectacular. Easily 9/10

On a side note, I don't seek faithfulness in adaptations. So, some others can see this as a frustrating failure too. Haunter of the Dark is one of HPL's best stories IMO, and methinks this is a deserving adaptation.

MV5BMjE2MTI5MjY4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzg3NTA3Mw@@._V1_.jpg

This was the shit!

Miike was channelling some serious Johnnie To vibes with this one, but with the classic Miike craziness sprinkled throughout. Highly recommended!

Really need to check this out. Love Miike.

Reactions: CiG
Pickman's Muse (2010 - US): One of the best Lovecraft adaptations I've ever seen. Thrilled to discover this overlooked precious gem of a movie!!! The amalgamation of the psychotic and the occult was spectacular. Easily 9/10

On a side note, I don't seek faithfulness in adaptations. So, some others can see this as a frustrating failure too. Haunter of the Dark is one of HPL's best stories IMO, and methinks this is a deserving adaptation.

MV5BMjE2MTI5MjY4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzg3NTA3Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Have you ever seen The Resurrected (1991) aka Shatterbrain? Been a while since I've seen it but recall it being a pretty good Lovecraft film.

13865_1_large.jpg

A Classic Horror Story (2021 - Italy): Not a complete mess, but a mixed bag. The Italians disappointed me, which happens rarely in horror. Pales in comparison to The Ritual (2017), which was a similar movie (but this Italian movie differently has a flimsy ending). All these aside, the protagoness (malapropism) did a stellar job here. 6/10

a-classic-horror-story.jpg

Last edited:
DbvrfnfQ.jpeg

This was a movie I'd been trying to see for almost 2 years and it completely exceeded my expectations. It follows the life of a homeless woman in New York who lives in the subway tunnels. The way it's shot reminds me of Sean Baker so that's a big appeal for me, but I also loved the way it represents the homeless existence from a female perspective which is actually pretty rare. Things like having to scrub her underwear clean in a public bathroom because she doesn't have tampons, or constantly dealing with sexual advances from men, knowing that if she declines that's one more night she has to spend on the streets.

Very raw, emotional and direct cinema with a certain wanderlust quality, but without glorifying the homeless existence. At first it feels that way, as she's digging through junk in the dark tunnels, fully content in her own world of abandoned memories, but then it slowly reveals the realities of her situation, like a blizzard coming in. It also touches on race and immigration issues. The lead Annapurna Sriram is absolutely amazing, she has a very vibrant, visceral presence that reminds me of Kiki Rodriguez from Tangerine or something. I don't think I've ever seen her in anything but she commands every scene.

I went and added this to the 2nd place spot in my 2020 movie list.

Necronos (2010 - Germany): The best horror/fantasy movie I've ever seen by far, and one of the best horror films that I know. The Germans did it! There are some scenes that may be nonsensical for the people who are not into fantasy very much. Like, Goran (a lesser demon) can be hurt by a metal stick, but not by guns. I think this is not even moot, in the fantasy context. The metal stick from a Medieval(esque) world can be enchanted and can damage some otherwise invincible creatures. This movie should be the definitive video art of the black metal heads. The hierarchy of evil was resplendently and grittily portrayed.

Huge warning and massive spoilers
: Full nudity, extreme gore, no hope, no protagonists, no deus ex machinas, no cheap tricks, no remorse. 10/10 or 666/666

ob_3cd3d7_0-necronos-tower-of-doom.jpg

Immortel (ad vitam) - (2004 - France/Italy/UK): Like a looooong cinematic video (in games) of those years. Not only it was good, but also, and more importantly, it was not boring. This is really a tough thing to pull off. Even such game cinematics could get bland, if they are longer than 5 minutes. A feast for the eyes, a playful lover to the imagination. Hmm, certainly not a tutor to the intelligence. (It would be a masterpiece, then.) Kinda like The Fifth Element (1997) and Gods of Egypt (2016) were intertwined, but in an original way. 8/10

Immortel%2B%2528ad%2Bvitam%2529%2B%25282004%2529%2B.jpg

Decided to slowly move through the Paul Thomas Anderson films and I'm happy breaking them into two categories

Ones you should watch and will be happy you did
There will be blood
Phantom Thread
Punch Drunk Love
The Master

And the rest fall into the never should bother camp :lol:

i still somehow haven’t seen magnolia, but of the others hard eight is easily my least favourite (still pretty good). boogie nights and inherent vice are classics though.

Magnolia was so fucking bad. Can't believe I was reading praise for it.

Boogie nights was so bleh I couldn't understand all the praise I was reading. Looks like we're opposites on ol Anderson

i love the four you listed so not really! and to be fair boogie nights is almost like a different filmmaker, much more indebted to some new hollywood guys, so it's understandable liking his later work and not liking that one.

i wrote this in the '97 list:
of the two comparisons regularly levelled at paul thomas anderson's early work, i find scorsese a little more accurate than altman. it's a love of movies that fuels this stuff, an excess of style in which cracks begin to appear and 'humanity' seeps through, and that's something i'll always associate with scorsese, at least from the nineties onwards. there are a growing number of critics calling out anderson as a fake, an insincere show-off who cares more about impressing than expressing, but i always seem to find strong emotional (and sometimes intellectual) undercurrents to his work, and despite its obvious debts to other films and slightly labored metaphors for cultural change, boogie nights and its depiction of a wild, screwed up sub-culture (or family, more accurately) are no exception. this is a great moving picture in the classic sense, in that it moves, it's as alive with motion as any dance, and it's impossible not to get swept up along with it.

i'd stand by that, i think it's his most alive and human movie for me, he got more distanced and stylised later which isn't a bad thing, just different. i think i like it a little more than punch drunk love, which gets less fun and too self-conscious once the romance kicks in, or phantom thread which is just a little too calculated to really hit me. there will be blood and the master are my faves though. i really need to watch inherent vice again because i loved it but then immediately forgot almost everything about it which isn't a good sign lol. i'm a total sucker for that kind of rambling pynchonian neo-noir though.