The Official Movie Thread

i just find him pretty unfocused and inconsistent, his stuff needs editing big style. take there will be blood for example, damn good flick but i feel like a few awkward transitions and unnecessary scenes kept it from quite being the brilliant citizen kane/giant reinterpretation it could've been. a lot of the stuff at the end was badly done for example.

actually i love punch drunk love and i can't remember boogie nights well at all, i probably shouldn't be criticising.

watched Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, had lots of great parts, but it felt like there was also a lot of wasted potential.

Just finished David Lynch's 'The Elephant Man', a moving although inaccurate take on the life of Joseph 'John' Merrick (played brilliantly by John Hurt), a young Victorian man who suffers from a congenital defect resulting in the deformity of the head and body. Tragic, but also heart-warming.

i just find him pretty unfocused and inconsistent, his stuff needs editing big style. take there will be blood for example, damn good flick but i feel like a few awkward transitions and unnecessary scenes kept it from quite being the brilliant citizen kane/giant reinterpretation it could've been. a lot of the stuff at the end was badly done for example.

actually i love punch drunk love and i can't remember boogie nights well at all, i probably shouldn't be criticising.
I disagree with you about TWBB, but I can understand why you say that. His first movie, Hard Eight, certainly had all the problems you mentioned, but it was apparently altered by the studio rather than Anderson. Boogie Nights is his only other movie I've seen and that seemed the most smooth flowing of the three. I'd recommend seeing it again if you can.

Well, I see what you mean, Tom. I certainly didn't find Magnolia engaging throughout the 3 hours with change of its running time. At least half an hour coluld have been edited out without much damage to the plot.

Then again, many Magnolia fans say that it's such a layered film wth many little nuances in each scene, a great deal of which can only be picked up after several viewings.

my favourite cruise performance is in eyes wide shut where kubrick totally tears his smooth actor persona to pieces, he's brilliant in so many unintentional (i suspect) ways in that flick

So I've just discovered Turkish superhero films, and I must say they kick insane amounts of ass. There are so many reasons to love them, just one tiny one being Spiderman strangling a woman in the shower.

I borrowed Iphigenia from my Greek teacher to watch this weekend. It's a pretty good film, even for someone who isn't obsessed with ancient history/mythology like I am.