The Official Movie Thread

Have you seen The Descent or Event Horizon? Both were pretty decent horror movies, though Event Horizon may be more than 10 years old (it doesn't look like it though)

Yeah, Event Horizon was '97, I think. Doesn't matter though, great sci-fi horror.

Not a huge fan of The Descent. It wasn't bad, I think I was just expecting something more.

Has anyone here ever seen The Ugly? It was a New Zealand horror film also made in '97, and supposedly it was good. I've seen the trailer for it and it looked pretty awesome.

I know this is a bit beyond 10 years, but Jacob's Ladder has to be one of the scariest horror movies I've seen.

I thought The Descent relied way to heavily on "boo!" tactics for suspense. The movie just felt rather thin and undeveloped.

ehh I don't know. Yeah it had a lot of the "Boo!" tactics (haha), but for me one of the best parts of the film was where they had to cross that ridiculously deep gorge by climbing on the ceiling. That was the tensest moment for me.

The Thai version of Shutter captivated me and also a movie made by the same people called Alone. There is another movie I already watched about half of called Art of the Devil but I don't feel like finishing it because it's not as good as the other two I mentioned.

i liked the descent. didn't love it or anything.

best horror i've seen recently is kiyoshi kurosawa's 'pulse'.

although actually i'd gladly classify 'synecdoche new york' as a horror seeing as it disturbed me more than just about anything ever has.

so I watched probably one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen, We Are the Strange.

It was actually really freaking awesome. I'm a huge fan of animation and what people can do with it, and this has really raised the bar, in my opinion. It seamlessly mixes anime, stop animation, CGI and traditional animation. Not only that, but the characters and plot are actually understandable. It's just a totally bizarre and awesome experience. I would NOT want to be on drugs and watch this film. Fans of The Brothers Quay and Jan Svankmajer should definitely check it out

Last edited by a moderator:
just purchased/watched Lawrence of Arabia and 13 Tzameti recently.

Didn't actually watch Lawrence of Arabia because I've already seen it and I didn't have 217 minutes to blow at the time. I'll probably check out the special features sometime this week.

13 Tzameti was somewhat a blind buy (been reading a lot of good things about it for a while now, but never saw much of it). I thought it was a pretty good movie, but was expecting more from all the talk it received.

Saw a japanese movie called Hellevator. Probably quite unheard of. I had expected more gore, but I did enjoy it anyway.