The Official Trek Thread

It's not "just a movie". I've been crazy about Star Trek and what it represents since I was 5 years old, it's part of who I am. It pisses me off when major details are changed without any regard for continuity or integrity, or to appease the average moviegoer.

It's not "just a movie". I've been crazy about Star Trek and what it represents since I was 5 years old, it's part of who I am. It pisses me off when major details are changed without any regard for continuity or integrity, or to appease the average moviegoer.

my mom's kids all have different fathers

i remember my younger brother's father being a trekkie and my mom sitting through an entire episode of the TOS for the first time just a couple months before the series premeire of TNG
even though she was in highschool when TOS was making episodes

i remember still being a little kid and sitting on my mom's lap as we eagerly watched the series premiere of the TNG

i remember watching "Starfleet's War with the Dominion" and realizing how it was clearly done as something to get Star Wars fans to start watching Star Trek

i was one of the people already addicted to Voyager before the audience doubled with the appearence of the "new sexy chick" Jerri Ryan playing "7 of 9"

so don't lump me in there with the "average movie goer"

but i also understand that the 2009 movie was specifically made to be entertaining to the specific people that had never sat through any kind of star trek anything before

for the specific people that knew absolutely nothing of the star trek universe, the 2009 movie was an awesomely done "sci-fi action movie"

The whole premise was that it was an alternate reality. Therefore, it has nothing to do with the original fucking canon at all.

^ It was lazy. Really lazy.

"Oh hey, rather than follow original canon, let's do whatever the fuck we want and justify it by screwing with the timeline!"

"Oh hey, rather than follow original canon, let's do whatever the fuck we want and justify it by screwing with the timeline!"

that's exactly what they did

they did it so they could make a movie that would be entertaining to the specific movie goers that knew absolutely nothing about star trek

that's what they did
get over it already

I advertise it as "Not your hetero Star Trek".

OMFG
laughing so hard i'm choking

seriously though
the whole time-travel shit in the first movie was for the purpose of being able to ignore cannon and create a whole new universe and make a "sci-fi action movie" that non-trekkies would enjoy

Tbh I'm sorta just trolling to elicit a reaction from you but I really do hate the movie. Into Darkness though was amazing. A total departure from the 2009 movie.

Tbh I'm sorta just trolling to elicit a reaction from you
yeah
there's some other people doing that too

but I really do hate the movie.

seriously
aside from the parts that pissed you off
it does seem like a well-put-together movie

Into Darkness though was amazing. A total departure from the 2009 movie.

does Into Darkness take place at the same time as the TOS episode with Kahn or did they just totally ignore that part of the timeline??

The Stardate from the episode of TOS where Kahn was introduced was 3141.9. The Stardate in Into Darkness was 2259.55. So, they totally ignored the original series timeline in this aspect.

Edit: From some online research, the Earth date from TOS would have been 2267. They did Stardates kind of weird I guess during TOS. In Into Darkness, the Stardate is the same as the actual Earth year.
So,
Kahn in TOS=2267
Kahn in Into Darkness=2259
Still not consistent.

^ Exactly. They totally just said "fuck the timeline". But all the nostalgic references to Wrath of Khan in Into Darkness gave me a hundred simultaneous boners, so for that movie anyways, it works out.

^ Exactly. They totally just said "fuck the timeline". But all the nostalgic references to Wrath of Khan in Into Darkness gave me a hundred simultaneous boners, so for that movie anyways, it works out.

Possible spoiler:

Don't want to give anything away to those who didn't see the movie yet, but in one important scene in Into Darkness, I was like, "what the fuck is going to happen now?? There's no Genesis planet..." I think you might know what I'm referring to.

The Stardate from the episode of TOS where Kahn was introduced was 3141.9. The Stardate in Into Darkness was 2259.55. So, they totally ignored the original series timeline in this aspect.

Edit: From some online research, the Earth date from TOS would have been 2267. They did Stardates kind of weird I guess during TOS. In Into Darkness, the Stardate is the same as the actual Earth year.
So,
Kahn in TOS=2267
Kahn in Into Darkness=2259
Still not consistent.

this might sound weird, but TBH this^^ is pissing me off a hell of a lot more than any of the things The Butt was complaining about with the 2009 movie

IMO, the 2009 movie was totally bad-ass, but i thought they were making this new movie series taking place durring the the gap of time of the episodes of TOS, showing how those episodes would have come out different with the alterations in the timeline, but to make Kirk interact with Kahn for the very first time happen in a whole 8 years earlier than the TOS episode just doesn't make sense

So obvious glaring changes that make less sense sit well with you, but a discrepancy that could go either way pisses you off? The fuck?