The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

Be sure to listen to Dawn and Lost Wisdom by Mount Eerie. Some really great stuff from last year. If you want noise-y folk stuff, than The Glow Pt. II is worth a go. Both bands are fronted by the same guy and the music is written by him also, so you will like both bands style.

indie music is great. one of my favorite indie bands was a favorite of Kurt Cobains called Beat Happening.

Even though I don't like Kurt Cobain or his music, he liked some good bands, including Swans, so he earns some points from me for having a decent taste in music at the very least.

Speaking of Swans, I finally own White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, which makes me pretty happy since it's fairly hard to come by for a decent price.

I guess Kurt Cobain liked Au Pairs and they were worth checking out, though slightly cheesy. Oh, and he digged Earth and Celtic Frost.

Of all the early 90's alt./indie rock stuff that came out than, why Nirvana? Seriously? The music is certainly not terrible and is heartfelt but can not hold a candle to some of the other early 90's gems in indie/alt. rock. I mean really, Pavement. Slanted and Enchanted is a thousand times better than Nevermind, which is, nonetheless, a rather boring album while still be their best release that I've heard from them.

Edit: I forgot My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr.

Bleach was the best Nirvana album if you ask me, though it's still pretty whiny and bland. I've never figured out why people think Cobain was an exemplary lyricist, vocalist or guitar player.

I think it is obvious that he hit a chord in a disgruntled youth in the same way punk and metal did beforehand or even simultaneously. Which is funny because his lyrics are pretty much garbage, his riffs are just recycled from his favorite bands and his guitar playing thrived on shitty amps and broken guitars. Not to mention his band was backed by bunch of losers and would-be mainstream stars. I will credit him for putting effort in though, for he did seem to write music from his heart. Something unlike most musicians at the time did, as far as I know because I was not there when it all happened.

Avoid Kurt everyone, go right over to Elliott!

Bleach was the best Nirvana album if you ask me, though it's still pretty whiny and bland. I've never figured out why people think Cobain was an exemplary lyricist, vocalist or guitar player.

I really like In Utero actually. Their other stuff... not so much but that album clicks with me. Heart Shaped Box is probably the best Nirvana song.

i hate piper at the gates of dawn

my top 10 of the '60s (sticking to one per band):
1. mad river - s/t
2. the doors - s/t
3. iron butterfly - in a gadda da vida
4. love - forever changes
5. high tide - sea shanties
6. cream - disraeli gears
7. songs of leonard cohen
8. the byrds - mr tambourine man
9. hendrix - are you experienced?
10. zombies - odessey and oracle

as for nirvana i like nevermind most

1. mad river - s/t
2. the doors - s/t

as for nirvana i like nevermind most

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate and The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle rule.

Why did you forget The Beatles?

Bleach at best was a Melvins rip-off, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the Melvins rule.

but yea, Kurt Cobain had excellent taste in music, he liked everything from indie pop/rock stuff to even stuff like underground Swedish death metal. (a little tidbit of useless info, Nirvana actually tried to cover an Unleashed tune but felt it was too close to the original to pass off as their own).

1. mad river - s/t
2. the doors - s/t