The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

PiL, one of my absolute favorite bands, and definitive proof that John Lydon is a legend (as if fronting the Sex Pistols wasn't proof enough).

Way better than the Sex Pistols.

Songs of Love and Hate is easily my favorite folk album and a contender for favorite non-metal album of all time. The album has a pretty varied tone from song to song but this one has a dark, brooding atmosphere with well-written lyrics that strongly allude to bitterness over a failed relationship.

Songs of Love and Hate is easily my favorite folk album and a contender for favorite non-metal album of all time. The album has a pretty varied tone from song to song but this one has a dark, brooding atmosphere with well-written lyrics that strongly allude to bitterness over a failed relationship.

I don't know how good of a comparison PiL and the Pistols are, given PiL has put out quite a bit of material whereas to this day the Pistols have only ever made one studio album. So of course PiL outdoes them just based on having recorded more albums, and damn good albums too. But the Pistols will always have a special place in my heart as another of my true favorites and one of the greatest rock and punk bands ever.

contribute to the mixtape game ywanker

I don't know how good of a comparison PiL and the Pistols are, given PiL has put out quite a bit of material whereas to this day the Pistols have only ever made one studio album. So of course PiL outdoes them just based on having recorded more albums, and damn good albums too. But the Pistols will always have a special place in my heart as another of my true favorites and one of the greatest rock and punk bands ever.

They don't sound anything alike. I mentioned it mostly because I'm not a big Pistols fan.

I feel similarly about The Clash. I'm a much bigger fan of the Ramones, The Dead Boys, The Damned, and The Urinals when it comes to '77-punk, just to name a few.

They don't sound anything alike. I mentioned it mostly because I'm not a big Pistols fan.

I feel similarly about The Clash. I'm a much bigger fan of the Ramones, The Dead Boys, The Damned, and The Urinals when it comes to '77-punk, just to name a few.
Of course they don't sound anything alike, PiL is post-punk, the Pistols are regular punk rock. That's alright, but personally I love the Pistols. The Ramones are the ultimate punk band, so of course I'd go with them over the Pistols, I must say I prefer the Pistols to The Clash, Dead Boys, and The Urinals though. The Damned are on roughly even footing with the Pistols in my book.

i've never been very into the sex pistols or PiL. not that fond of the clash but 'train in vain' has become an all-time favourite tune over the past couple years and i'm gonna revisit their discog at some point to see if anything else jumps out.

aside from stuff already mentioned that i like (the damned, ramones, radio birdman), my '70s punk canon contains the likes of wipers, television, pere ubu, the adverts, germs, richard hell & the voivoids, stiff little fingers, avengers and that superior early misfits shit.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Nice. I'm a fan of all of those, especially The Germs, Television, Richard Hell, the Misfits, and Avengers. I'd the Dead Kennedys, Iggy Pop, X, Bad Brains, G.G. Allin, Johnny Thunders, Patti Smith, The Dictators, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Black Flag, The Rollins Band, Melvins, The Buzzcocks, Blondie, Jello Biafra, and with regards to protopunk, Music Machine, the New York Dolls, the MC5, and The Stooges. Just to name a few.

Reactions: JontRevolting
nice! i was avoiding '80s and proto-punk stuff so it didn't become an unwieldy list but i share your enthusiasm for a lot of those. there's also virtually always a few proto-punk gems on any garage nuggets comp you pick at random, i find.

nice! i was avoiding '80s and proto-punk stuff so it didn't become an unwieldy list but i share your enthusiasm for a lot of those. there's also virtually always a few proto-punk gems on any garage nuggets comp you pick at random, i find.
No kidding. The Sonics are the best example of that (garage rock going protopunk) in my opinion. One of the heaviest early 60's bands period.

Reactions: CiG
To this day Gerry Roslie is one of my favorite singers. That man can scream. In fact, I'll be catching The Sonics live on their current tour soon. Can't wait.

Reactions: CiG