The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

sure, definitely agree on the velvets influence, i was gonna say 'we will fall' seems an obvious tribute but HP beat me to it. i do think that particular riff is somethin' else though, it's virtually proto-discharge or something.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
The tamer, less charming version of GG Allin...

Also, Iggy Pop possesses an impressive physique for an ex-heroin user who doesn't lift. I could say even more about Phil Anselmo, but he definitely lifts.

I like his song "The Passenger".
Tamer, yes, but Iggy is far more charming, believe me. Iggy's physical state defies reality, he's a nearly 70 year-old ex heroin addict, yet he's still chiseled like a weathered old stone. The way he performs on stage probably burns more calories than lifting.

sure, definitely agree on the velvets influence, i was gonna say 'we will fall' seems an obvious tribute but HP beat me to it. i do think that particular riff is somethin' else though, it's virtually proto-discharge or something.
Completely agree, for me that riff is just validation that Ron Asheton is one of rock's great unsung guitar innovators.

i think the stooges' overall sexually frustrated bedroom slacker vibe on that first album can be traced back to mid-60s garage rock mostly, there were like a billion bands doing less heavy, sweaty versions of the same thing during that craze.

They don't so much write songs as they do just rock out all day long with cocks out and some raw blues rock punk whatever-the-fuck, but The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion is all energy and testicles.

Reactions: CiG
Filler? I disagree, from what I remember they were quite consistent
If you're one of those for whom "consistency" is important in an album, you may not be in a good position to judge "filler".

My impression of Span is they're great if you're a fan of the Celtic folk style, but they're unlikely to convert you if you're not, because they have little songwriting ability beyond it, and it's a pretty narrowly defined style to begin with.

Last edited:
I've just heard the "consistent" label applied to a lot of albums full of similar songs, by people who value sameness over uniqueness among those songs.

Man, I haven't had this debate in ages.

I should disclose that I prefer a Spotify subscription over buying albums, so that may influence my view of an album's quality. Anyway, I definitely consider an album with a few great songs and a few bad songs of higher quality than an album full of average songs that are all "consistent" with each other. If a song sounds like (or reminds me of) a hundred other songs, it loses meaning for me.

Last edited:
Filler? I disagree, from what I remember they were quite consistent, care to post an example of a filler track?

i like the stuff that's more poignant/mysterious/evocative/atmospheric/whatever the fuck, pure trad folk doesn't typically interest me, like happy irish jigs n shit.

i think you're conflating consistency and homogeneity, zabu. people tend to use 'consistent' as a purely qualitative term, not to mean sameyness. i've had this conversation with someone else though, he said albums need peaks and troughs or some shit. i don't agree at all but each to their own.

Reactions: CiG
salviatek-003.jpg

Superficie - Helices

Percussion based electronic music from Brazil.