The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but from God; the powers that be are ordained by God.

2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God, and those who resist shall receive for themselves damnation.

3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same,

4for he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid, for he beareth not the sword in vain; for he is the minister of God, an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

5Therefore ye must be subject not only for wrath, but also for conscience' sake.

6For, for this cause pay ye tribute also, for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

7Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due, custom to whom custom, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.

Even the mandate of heaven idea is better than that Christian excuse for tyranny.

Free market solutions could work pretty well for solving environmental problems, but they suck at educating people about them. Look at all the "facts" people get from cable news networks.

You have a point, but I think that your comment is a little misled. The free market is good at granting people what they strive for, and most people don't strive for book learnin'. The free market's whole intent is to only give people what they strive for and nothing else, lest it would be either a system of looting from some and giving to others and forcing oppressive rule upon those that are living within the market. The free market would work well in solving environmental problems because owners of land and waterways would be inclined to protect their livelihood, and the environment could become cleaner while the general public remained apathetic about the causes of why the environment is becoming cleaner or what would happen if the environment did not become cleaner. The only time the general public needs to be motivated to clean the environment is when the act of cleaning the environment consists of government coercion. If the government did not motive the general public to endorse its oppressive policies, the general public would revolt against the oppression. Hence, why there is a lot of misinformation on both sides mainstream environmental debate.

As for cable television, I would hardly call that a free market. Then again, what market in the United States is free?

Are we speaking illegally? In high school, my friends were the ones that typically distributed pot and such to the rest of the school, so I was around the selling of it quite frequently. I never did it myself though. I used to buy and smoke pot a lot, but I haven't done that recently.

I used to sell weed, and smoke a ton. That was my education in free-market capitalism. Of course, the threat of imprisonment didn't make it entirely free, but price competition was fierce, quality of product was strictly on the honor system, and I saw dealers go out of business because of their poor practices.

Voted for you Krampus, I'll be annoyed if the divorcee gets it.

I used to sell weed, and smoke a ton. That was my education in free-market capitalism. Of course, the threat of imprisonment didn't make it entirely free, but price competition was fierce, quality of product was strictly on the honor system, and I saw dealers go out of business because of their poor practices.

It's funny that you equated it to that, I've always thought the same thing. I never got into it because of it being illegal, but not because of the threat of imprisonment. It's a pretty lawless business, and quite a few of my friends were robbed at least a couple of times.

It's funny that you equated it to that, I've always thought the same thing. I never got into it because of it being illegal, but not because of the threat of imprisonment. It's a pretty lawless business, and quite a few of my friends were robbed at least a couple of times.

Kind of like not getting involved in the alcohol business during the Prohibition. Capone would be as likely to bust you as the cops. Perfect example of the law of unintended consequences.

Making my last fucking lecture for the semester. It's about time, I need a break. No more waking up at 6 am on Mondays and Wednesdays; early mornings aren't for me.

Making my last fucking lecture for the semester. It's about time, I need a break. No more waking up at 6 am on Mondays and Wednesdays; early mornings aren't for me.

I have to work at 5am at least 5 days a week. I hate it. What's the lecture on?

I'm chilling with my buddy malt liquor and Percocet. Mmmmm...gonna eat some honey bbq wings pretty soon too. Skipped the gym today, just felt super tired for some reason. i hate that shit.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't complain; but I'm least productive in the mornings.

The last lecture's on the Italian Renaissance. Not that difficult, there's so much to talk about.

Mornings are very peaceful, which is probably why I like to lay down and not wake up haha.

The Italian Renaissance is definitely limitless in subject matter. What are you going to discuss specifically?

I'm looking to spend a good chunk of time on Machiavelli, but I'll also cover the basics: da Vinci, Michelangelo, Brunelleschi. I also have a short presentation on Petrarch.

Unfortunately it's the last week of classes and I got behind this semester, so I need to cram the Italian Renaissance into one week. I can't do it all, so I'll just focus on as many of the above personalities as I can.

You teaching some sort of Western Civ sequence? I'd love to do that one of these years. I've already done lectures on the Roman Empire but to handle all that would be a thrill.

Also, love reading about Machiavelli. Here's is most of an essay done by a political philosophy professor here at UMaine you might find very interesting - http://books.google.com/books?id=f9...=onepage&q=palmer masters slaves text&f=false

I need to remember to have all my shit packed *before* renting the truck and storage unit. It's taking me forever to sort out what goes in the unit, what goes to my family, what goes with me, etc. At least I've got the truck for 24 hours.

Totally psyched I'm about to leave home though.