The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

I'm leery of just keeping some pills in the back pocket. I remember a low dose of Zoloft giving me nausea, diarrhea, headaches, chills, tremors, panic, and orgasmic dysfunction all on the first day. Most of those effects went away by day 2 or 3, and all of them were gone by week 2. It's certainly possible that some of those effects were lingering from what caused me to see a doctor and take the pills in the first place. Zoloft is supposed to reduce anxiety, but I'm sure it would take a high enough dose to blast most people with so many side effects that it would just make things worse in the short term.

I am not clinically depressed so I would NOT fuck with antidepressants for any reason - the Xanax is just gonna sit there and never actually be taken.

I have become overwhelmed with an all encompassing,impenetrable sense of laziness. My motivation for work, including work work, and personal work has been diminished to nearly non-existent level. I don't know what my deal is. I am at work right now. Am I working. Nope.

I'm focusing more on the Universal Abstract and how it schizmatizes historical materialism and modern economic theory, with a focus on fiat money and Marx's dismissal of culture.

Did you read the entire first volume? If so, that's a bit extreme, even for a business ethics class.

It's no more extreme than what we've discussed in class. I've read the first half of the first volume, which is what I'm expected to have read. The requirements for the assignment are pretty loose, so if he dings me for it I'll just take it up with the department.

I have become overwhelmed with an all encompassing,impenetrable sense of laziness. My motivation for work, including work work, and personal work has been diminished to nearly non-existent level. I don't know what my deal is. I am at work right now. Am I working. Nope.

I had this problem for a while and then I started empathizing more with my boss, who's been so overcome with work that he was up until 7 AM the other day. I have a similar workload but am just really efficient, so I think I'm gonna try to clear my plate and take some of his portion.

It's no more extreme than what we've discussed in class. I've read the first half of the first volume, which is what I'm expected to have read. The requirements for the assignment are pretty loose, so if he dings me for it I'll just take it up with the department.

Gotcha. I just meant that it's somewhat extreme even for a low-level philosophy class. Most courses only assign the first section of the first volume; those who really want to study Marx take further classes on Marxism, or read the rest in their spare time.

I'm surprised a business ethics class spends so much time on Marx, unless the teacher is a gung-ho Marxist. You really need to take time with Marx to understand the nuances of his argument, but in a business ethics class you also need to read more than just Capital. I won't presume to know how the teacher has the class structured, though.

Ah, understood. I thought you were saying my argument was extreme. We're supplementing the mediocre required text with Marx and Locke in order to create a moral framework to apply to current issues like the BP oil spill. It's pretty comprehensive and participation-driven.

I'm personally not a big fan of Marx's exposition style. It's repetitive beyond the point of hypnotism, and feels invasive much like Hawthorne or Melville. I don't think I'll be doing much more exploration of his catalog.

Not much. I'm getting a tattoo.
106_logo.gif

Kick ass.

There might be different nuances, but it doesn't change the underlying principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_theory_of_value

But read the section titled: "Marx's Contribution". Already you can see how he completely disagrees with the way Smith and Ricardo envision labor value. He begins by taking their argument for granted, and then gradually exposes its shortcomings and flaws in his own.

I haven't been around lately. Thought I'd say "Hi, everybody!". Hi, everybody.

I just got my new Crate head in the mail, so the new band I'm in will finally get moving along better. I'm stoked.

After working 8 days in a row I'm taking an entire day to try different craft beers customers have given to me and spinning records.

But read the section titled: "Marx's Contribution". Already you can see how he completely disagrees with the way Smith and Ricardo envision labor value. He begins by taking their argument for granted, and then gradually exposes its shortcomings and flaws in his own.

But he still ultimately believes in, essentially, an "objective price", one heavily dependent on what it takes to make/extract/etc something. You might call this the "supply side value theory". What this fails to address is that no matter how difficult something is to create or obtain, if no one wants it it has little to no value. To create or obtain it would be a waste of time and other resources since it would create no new wealth.