The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

My retarded friends think that Amon Amarth is amazing and shit so they love it already. Nothing by Amon Amarth is amazing, but some tracks on "Twilight of the Thunder God" are fun to blast while drunk. They are just pop metal tbh.

Amon Amarth was one of the first metal bands I got into, so I'm a bit biased, but they have some awesome highlights from each album, like "Victorious March" or "Death in Fire."

edit: I'll concede that they're "pop metal," but what metal isn't pop music? Mind you, the rawest and truest to its form metal is very good, but I still consider it pop music.

Giving the new Amon Amarth album a listen. They're not even trying anymore, just rehashing riffs from their last 2-3 albums and blending them with power metal and Gothenthrash. Not a big surprise, but disappointing nonetheless.

I listened to one song and it was so predictable I turned it off after while. No surprises indeed.

Amon Amarth was one of the first metal bands I got into, so I'm a bit biased, but they have some awesome highlights from each album, like "Victorious March" or "Death in Fire."

Versus The World is a great album IMO.

edit: I'll concede that they're "pop metal," but what metal isn't pop music? Mind you, the rawest and truest to its form metal is very good, but I still consider it pop music.

For me the shittiest part of their new songs is the fucking choruses. There might not be any new interesting riffs either, but fuck, those "hit" choruses.

Malazan Book of the Fallen inspired stuff here:

http://caladanbrood.bandcamp.com/

I'm fucking loving this album. I get the comparisons to Summoning, but I actually hear more of the Draugnim/Imperium Dekadenz thing going on.

It's not as good as Summoning, but it's still great. I've never read Malazan, but I plan on it sometime. The guys in the band have the best stage names: Shield Anvil and Mortal Sword.

Those are actually pretty well-chosen stage names. In the books, each god (or maybe just some? he's deliberately stingy with the exposition) has a Mortal Sword, a mortal man who has been chosen by the god (with or without his consent) as their champion and to some degree avatar. The Shield Anvil brings spiritual comfort and absolution to the fallen, often immediately after killing them. In the third book the Mortal Sword and Shield Anvil of Fener lead a mercenary cult against an army of cannibalistic zealots. It's metal as fuck.

Read those books so I can talk to you about them. I can't find anyone to talk about this shit with.

I couldn't finish the second book. It reads like a video game; not really my cup of tea.

The only decent fantasy author out there anymore, in my opinion, is R. Scott Bakker.

I remember talking with you about him, but everything that I've read (a short story set in the Riftwar universe, and some of Magician) just strikes me as hackneyed and tired. It's all the same epic fantasy; imbued with a superficial violence and maturity that masks a juvenile core. I'm even starting to think this way about George R.R. Martin, and it's how I responded to the Malazan books as well.

Bakker is the only current fantasy author (whom I've read) that has continually convinced me that his texts, his philosophy, and his work in general, is intellectually mature and genuinely violent (i.e. its violence isn't there for effect, it's there because it communicates something about the ideas in the novels themselves). When I read Bakker, I'm overwhelmed by the profound feeling that my existence is fragile and that death not only hems in from all sides, but is actually a part of me. They're purposefully and authentically apocalyptic texts, and the pain in them is palpable, not merely theatrical.

I'd rather not read more about Trayvon Martin, thanks.

same here

uugghh
the first cop to see trayvon's corpse was actually responding to a 9-1-1 call that was actually made before the one single gunshot and Zimmerman made no attempt at all to resist arrest, and Zimmerman was covered in open cuts that were photographed at the scene before he got into the cop car

if they'd been the same race as each other, it would have been a totally open-and-shut self-defense thing with absolutely no media attention at all whatsoever

My retarded friends think that Amon Amarth is amazing and shit so they love it already. Nothing by Amon Amarth is amazing, but some tracks on "Twilight of the Thunder God" are fun to blast while drunk. They are just pop metal tbh.
Their earlier stuff is a lot better. Still pretty catchy, but you can easily draw the line from stuff like Entombed and Dismember to albums like Once Sent or The Crusher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3U7d-D2n4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwUHlwE1L4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAp64nGjZK8

Around Versus The World there was a pretty distinct shift in their songwriting style, where the song structures became more formulaic and hook-oriented. Versus was still an excellent album, and I'm also quite fond of With Oden on Our Side (the drumming is phenomenal) but there's a pretty distinct gradual stripping out of the death metal elements of their sound. Their last three are the albums that really bug me...some pretty catchy songs, but it's all so trite and polished.

I listened to one song and it was so predictable I turned it off after while. No surprises indeed.
Blood Eagle was cool. That's about it. There were one or two others in the second half that I thought were pretty decent, but I honestly can't remember any of it.

I remember talking with you about him, but everything that I've read (a short story set in the Riftwar universe, and some of Magician) just strikes me as hackneyed and tired. It's all the same epic fantasy; imbued with a superficial violence and maturity that masks a juvenile core. I'm even starting to think this way about George R.R. Martin, and it's how I responded to the Malazan books as well.

Fantasy itself is juvenile and somewhat hackneyed. Magic and dragons? Martin manages to try and keep it as real as possible without completely abandoning the magic and dragons, especially in abandoning typical fanatasy themes of stark black and white, Archetypal Good vs Archetypal Evil.

I appreciate an author's ability to world build (especially if it spans multiple generations), even if the events occur in a somewhat predictable and/or juvenile way. It's the reading/interest level of the majority of the potential audience.

Bakker is the only current fantasy author (whom I've read) that has continually convinced me that his texts, his philosophy, and his work in general, is intellectually mature and genuinely violent (i.e. its violence isn't there for effect, it's there because it communicates something about the ideas in the novels themselves). When I read Bakker, I'm overwhelmed by the profound feeling that my existence is fragile and that death not only hems in from all sides, but is actually a part of me. They're purposefully and authentically apocalyptic texts, and the pain in them is palpable, not merely theatrical.

Interesting.

Oh, and Limp Bizkit and Korn are are "pop metal", not this:

Anyone who says otherwise needs to go back to troll school...

I know that metal is still novel to you and all, and that you find the upperground stuff fresh and exciting. That doesn't change the fact that most melodeath and symphonic black metal bands are pop metal. Opeth and Mastodon are pop metal as well. Meshuggah and any Djent band are also pop metal.

Any band that can fill an arena is popular.

Fantasy itself is juvenile and somewhat hackneyed. Magic and dragons? Martin manages to try and keep it as real as possible without completely abandoning the magic and dragons, especially in abandoning typical fanatasy themes of stark black and white, Archetypal Good vs Archetypal Evil.

I think it depends on how one contextualizes magic and dragons, and how they're manipulated representationally. Magic as a metaphor for technology, for example, deserves more merit.

Martin's bald relativism actually wears on my nerves. Sure, he subverts our expectations of good and evil, but it goes no further than that. Bakker, on the other hand, presents a series of very specific conceptual binaries and plays these against each other. He's been called a misogynist, but the accusation is misplaced; his texts are, without a doubt misogynistic, but most fantasy series (of the "high" or "epic" variety) are. Bakker openly admits the misogyny of his texts; in fact, he claims that his books present a world where women are actually, objectively, inferior to men. So now we have to question what exactly the role of fantasy is in this regard (beyond its use as a literary mode); Bakker's admission of textual misogyny means that it is presented as a fantasy, but he forces us to acknowledge it as a fantasy.

The "bad guys" in Bakker's novels are creatures that literally thrive on the torment of others. Their existence is rape and torture. So Bakker introduces an ethical dimension into his texts by exploring the issues of pleasure, pain, and how pain is translated as pleasure, and vice versa. His books are full of episodes that play out such dilemmas.