The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

i hate microwaved jacket potatoes, they're fucking vile. what I do like about microwaves though, is that if you're making a meal involving various stuff, with different timings, they tend to make it easier, like you can just cook some of it in the last few minutes with the microwave and mix it in or whatever, instead of having multiple things on hobs and in the oven.

I didn't even know what Americans use for that till I looked on wikipedia. As with faucet and tap, we use a shorter word.

Some say American's speak an English closer to the original. I don't know, I kind of doubt it, given that the supposed isolated examples of retained original English in America tend to be made up of Irish people speaking Irish sounding dialects. I don't care though. If I spoke in American English to my irl friends and family I would be seen as massively pretentious.

It's actually been demonstrated to be an accurate statement that the typical American English is closer to the language's earlier form. It's something to do with neighboring countries influencing the British English language over time.

That said, America also has dialects of English that are greatly different from each other as well.

It's actually been demonstrated to be an accurate statement that the typical American English is closer to the language's earlier form. It's something to do with neighboring countries influencing the British English language over time.

That said, America also has dialects of English that are greatly different from each other as well.

Which countries? Scotland and Wales? No one has invaded and colonized England since US independence, so I'm not sure I buy this.

Which countries? Scotland and Wales? No one has invaded and colonized England since US independence, so I'm not sure I buy this.

It's the other ones that make up the UK with them. You should consider reading about it online if you really need evidence.

I have lived in hotel rooms/efficiencies, even the cheapest ones are still expensive.

It's the other ones that make up the UK with them. You should consider reading about it online if you really need evidence.

Northern Ireland? That's like a backwater that almost no mainland brits ever go to.

I don't really know what you're talking about. The articles seem to be focused on grammar. Accents are another thing.