The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

I just found out that Opeth AND Dream Theater are gonna be in Richmond on May 27th, and I'm debating whether I should go or not. I really don't want to toss out extra money right after MDF-VI, but it's hard to turn down the opportunity to see two fantastic bands without having to do any traveling at all. Richmond hardly ever gets bands like these.

I think the deciding factor, though, may be the venue. I really don't like going to concerts where you're expected to be seated for the event, and can't get close to the stage without paying out the ass for close seats - and this place looks to be the "no horsing around near the stage" type:

thenationalva-1.jpg

What do you guys say? Should I go or not? I'm fucking torn here.

I'll probably drive by the place at some point and see if I can get some info from the people there. If it turns out I can't get close to the stage with general admission, though, I'm thinking the deal is off.

I don't understand why you'd want to stand and move around while watching Opeth or Dream Theater play live; it's not exactly like they have anything to mosh to. To be honest, I'd prefer to sit and watch them play.

It's still metal. It's loud, aggressive, and physical. It's just wrong to have to sit down for a metal show. You can still headbang to a lot of Opeth and DT anyway.

Plus, depending on the seats and the venue's policies about letting general admission people close to the stage, the view might be really shitty, at which point I might as well just be listening to it at home with the volume turned up really loud.

Plays can be loud, aggressive and physical, yet you don't stand up for those. You don't stand up when you're listening to music at home either, do you? Just saying.

Well, no, but listening to music at home doesn't have the same atmosphere. Any moshpit in my room would be utterly shit. You don't have the smell, the vibrating ground, the lights slowly turning you into a mindless zombie, the crush of people around you all trying to get closest to the band...

Plays can be loud, aggressive and physical, yet you don't stand up for those. You don't stand up when you're listening to music at home either, do you? Just saying.

Well, at a play you're mostly trying to pay attention to what's going on on-stage. Concerts are more about feeling the music and the whole sense of excitement in the atmosphere. And it's a lot more exciting when you're in the middle of a crowd of people, jumping around, yelling obscenities, throwing up the horns, headbanging, etc. That just seems like a huge part of metal shows as far as I'm concerned.

edit: I actually do like to headbang when I'm listening to metal at home. It's just kinda goofy to do it by yourself.

Well, at a play you're mostly trying to pay attention to what's going on on-stage. Concerts are more about feeling the music and the whole sense of excitement in the atmosphere. And it's a lot more exciting when you're in the middle of a crowd of people, jumping around, yelling obscenities, throwing up the horns, headbanging, etc. That just seems like a huge part of metal shows as far as I'm concerned.

edit: I actually do like to headbang when I'm listening to metal at home. It's just kinda goofy to do it by yourself.

I guess we go to concerts for a couple of different reasons then. I like paying attention to the band, listening to what they're playing and watching them play it, and watching what they're doing with their instruments. I really don't care about anyone else there in the crowd, or the atmosphere the crowd provides. If I had the opportunity to be the only single person at a concert of a band I really love, I'd take it.