https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtlzTfRPmPLAkZtfcAc806IpnQNBBarxJ

Dark Moor - Maid of Orleans
Stratovarius - Visions (Southern Cross)
Reverend Bizarre - Caesar Forever
Running Wild - Calico Jack
Motionless in White - Abigail
Lizzy Borden - Godiva
God Dethroned - The Red Baron
Solefald - Christiania (Edvard Munch Commemoration)
Artillery - Khomaniac
Maquahuitl - El Corrido de Gregoria Cortez
Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Fuhrer
Alcatrazz - Kree Nakoorie
Bathory - Woman of Dark Desires

Last edited:
No overlap in historical figures that I can see? And only one song about Bathory? Pretty good selection :)

Dark Moor - Maid of Orleans - Helloween rip offs sound gayer than Helloween. And l quite like Kai and co. What l would generally describe as sterile, lifeless, annoying keyboards symphonic metal. To be fair it sounds generic as all hell, not just ripping one band 5/10 I think I've retired from saying the geetar is great and the solo is awesome on shite like this

Stratovarius - Visions (Southern Cross) - These guys on the other hand.. probably ripped Helloween more so than those last dudes. But fuck they do it better too. waay too long however 6/10 oh my gog this is tedious

Reverend Bizarre - Caesar Forever - Having heard of these guys for so long now and hearing the occasional song that l admire but, being a busy overworked selfish old bastard, I've never taken the time. This is really fucking good. Absolutely music bliss to my ears. Long shall they bleed. It's far from perfect and could use another voice or guitar perhaps but yeah ACE 9/10 I'm sure I've said this before

Running Wild - Calico Jack - Had a copy some years ago of this by the mighty RW. There's that fire in the belly attitude front and present. This slays! 8/10

Motionless in White - Abigail - oh l won't come last l don't think. Well.. 2/10

Lizzy Borden - Godiva - Oh yeah great sound, real pepped up tune. This is fantastic. Love the whole band! Never really paid too much attention to Lizzy fuckin Borden and l can hear the Motley or whatever but this is cool. 8/10

God Dethroned - The Red Baron - Wow another band new to my ears not my eyes. Wicked voice. Drummer is insane as always desired. Oh jesus these guys can really write. Ok stop it now. Oh Jesus this isn't the rest of the song huh? Oh good no no it's not. Yeah l like it. Mix of stuff but the vox is killer! 8.5/10

Solefald - Christiania (Edvard Munch Commemoration) - I'd probably enjoy this during an evening where l was consciously distracted and not consider any sort of playlist. And then it goes a bit mental. Ok l have albums like this. I can appreciate this. Won't listen to this again in a hurry and usually wouldn't play those albums for a while. For certain albums l need that atmosphere/mojo/ballbag mood to be right in my face. 5.5/10

Artillery - Khomaniac - Classic! 8.5/10 A vinyl gem l really want

Maquahuitl - El Corrido de Gregoria Cortez - AMAZING sounds like the black keys and every other fucking bullwinkle black metal avant-garde band out there! 7/10

Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Fuhrer - F&J have forever been a band l considered to be a bit shit and the first 2 minutes of this tune absolutely confirmed that to me. Terrible intro solo. The riffs are ok. Vox are not particularly original or strong. I've always believed there are a million better thrash bands around than these guys. 6.5/10

Alcatrazz - Kree Nakoorie - Oh my fucks what a performance! Mistakes loud and clear! (Drunk)Genius loud and clear! I don't know if I've ever seen a better live guitarist 9/10 -1 for his broken string.

Bathory - Woman of Dark Desires - It's that mean cruelty of a older generation hearing this stuff before me. I heard this in about 1994 and didn't think much. By then I'd heard everything faster more brutal etc This is CLASSIC. Totally one dimensional as all good bands should have at least one song. 10/10

meh coulda shoulda woulda

Pretty sure I've heard this song 50 times from 50 different bands, with 50 different names. I'm very picky with this genre, it's a kitchy niche as is so how can you sound like all the other niche cliques? (say that five times fast). Anyways, I looked into the lyrics and wasn't any furtherly inspired.
1/10

Cruel to put Dark Moor right before Stratovarius. Strato has some clout. I greatly enjoy spoken word segments in music, maybe it's because my listening roots are so deeply entrenched in scores and soundtracks, where I have expectations of a stage being set. So that was neat. It was pretty and pleasant as much of Strato is, but not something I'd pursue.
4/10

It's a beautiful day outside my office window - warm, sunny, light clouds. Had a really successful week career-wise. My bloody mary is crisp and spicy. I understand Caesar - celebration is for the strong, and may the weak forever perish beneath our weary and sturdy feet. We toil - he toiled. Heavy steps. Heavy decisions. Heavy victories. We earned our drinks. Fuuuuuuuucking sexy classic.
9/10

Instantly thought of A Bard's Tale, a really neat game on PS2. Awesome vox. I was intrigued, difficult after such excellence as Caesar Forever. Luckily the lyrics were within quick reach and I was in fact furtherly inspired. Here we have a truly bard-in' tale on the seas, gallops like acrid salty waves smashing the shipside, not from storm but just the plain and simple light of a plain and simple day in the life of a ship at sea.
8/10

Not my cup of tea, remotely, unfortunately. Sounds like everything else in the genre.... a breakdown, some emo vocals, some harsh vocals, and plenty of pre-pubescence.
1/10

Lizzy Borden - Godiva
Really, really cool subject matter. Something I never thought of and in fact educated myself further on while listening. This song is a continuous assault - quick and succinct. If you read into Lady Godiva, you'd find that people wanted to fuck her because she was naked, and she was naked for THEIR sakes. To help them. So this really just had a nice lesson about friendship in addition to being absolutely rockin'.
6/10

Eh. If I wanted to hear about The Red Baron I'd rather it be Iced Earth, after hearing this. The vocals were too sudden & insistent, and I had to instantly draw the comparison because I'm somewhat into dogfights and find songs about aerospace really neat. Quite meh. The breakdown was moderately pretty.
3/10

Really cool choice of subject matter, again. Never would have imagined someone wrote a song about the guy. Production on this was interesting... I'm no expert but it seemed to vary quite a bit, making it a touch cacaphonic. Now regularly that kind of thing might annoy me, but seeing as this is essentially about a tortured artist, it made a lot of sense. That being said I also detected a touch of programming that really separated my sense of disbelief, forcing me AWAY from the fantasy of an artist traveling the world and into my uncomfortable chair where digital sounds make digital proclamations. This is OK.
5/10

Artillery - Khomaniac
Good metal. Just good simple metal. Artillery has always been 'pretty good' in my book, checking all the boxes... unfortunately they do so without straying too far from the questionairre. Interesting subject though... holy nutjobs. Never gets old.
5/10

I am such a total and complete sucker for shit like this. I almost cried when my Arthur Morgan died. Very very cool, Morricone would be proud. Would have liked more of what the intro promised though - this started so uniquely, then ran that idea into the ground.
6/10

Is OK. A slower assault than Godiva.... but with the same intent, musically. Nice lyrics, but not amazing. This is a subject that needs to be approached with the utmost care, because everybody has done it. You really need to make a goddamn effort.
4/10

OMG EXOTIC BULLSHIT. HELL YEAH. This was IMMEDIATELY great, what a group too check out the lineup. Beautiful lyrics, and god I love whatever the hell that vocal style is called (middle eastern-ish, lots of modulation). Always loved it. My bitch here is that I could not find a single lick of information about 'Kree Nakoorie'. This might not be legitimately historical. It says a lot about this track that I am rating it kindly, despite my love of the game and respect for staying on theme. Kree Nakoorie better be a real goddamn person. Or place with a person in it, a person who matters (not everyone does)
9/10

Wet slaps, smacking virginal scalps with slippery hammers as they slide on the filthy floor. You need to play this LOUD. Wet slap wet slap WET SLAP WET SLAP. Dark fucking desires. She wants to be young and hot because she WANTS. TO. FUCK. FOREVER.
.......good conclusion. I think there are better songs about Bathory but this is a double dip of theming and very well done, can't scoff at it in a million years.
7/10

tumblr_nea52jPRQF1tjsnk1o1_500.gifv

Dark Moor - Maid of Orleans 5.5/10
Entry-level cheesecore, but I don't hate it.

Stratovarius - Visions (Southern Cross) 6.5/10
Epic and uplifting stuff. I haven't jammed them in ages but they still hit these ears nicely.

Reverend Bizarre - Caesar Forever 10/10
Not really convinced this is actually about Caesar himself. "The Wandering Jew" would've been more thematic, but I'm not going to complain about hearing a song from the best album by one of my favourite bands. Glorious doom fucking metal.

Running Wild - Calico Jack 9/10
This makes me wanna do a Running Wild marathon asap! Such a fucking great album closer! Everything is just fizzing with raw energy with these guys. The epic galloping riffs, the chants, so great.

Motionless in White - Abigail 0.5/10
Literal audio refuse.

Lizzy Borden - Godiva 7.5/10
This is a band I've never really investigated for whatever reason. Crazy high energy shit though. I guess this is one of the glaring holes in my USPM experience.

God Dethroned - The Red Baron 7/10
I always respected how streamlined their death metal is. No fat to trim, goes right for the kill. Everything is vicious and almost mechanical, like a well-oiled war machine. The little touches of melody are really well-used too. The solo comes in so nicely, I could just imagine it set to a slow-motion scene of dogfighting carnage. Drumming is always on point.

Solefald - Christiania (Edvard Munch Commemoration) 5/10
Don't really know what to make of this. I didn't hate it nor really like it. Kinda meanders most of the time. Maybe in the context of the album it will make more sense to me...

Artillery - Khomaniac 7.5/10
Good reminder to give this album some attention. I'm a sucker for thrash bands with cleaner more classic sounding vocalists.

Maquahuitl - El Corrido de Gregoria Cortez 7.5/10
Definitely a sucker for the gimmick this EP utilizes, even though I struggle to appreciate black metal more and more these days. Something about their sound feels wild and untamed to me. The vocalist is maybe the one thing I don't think is so great, but the riffs and the drumming (that cymbal work!) are killer. Of course the spaghetti western element helps to set it apart, but it's the other stuff that made me keep coming back.

Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Fuhrer 7/10
Cool high energy speed thrash that's great to headbang to when you're young and drunk. Now I'm old and sober, but I remember when I was fun...

Alcatrazz - Kree Nakoorie 8/10
Amazing song (and video) but I'm not really sure if this is thematic. It's about an entire people, people who still exist, so it's neither a figure nor really even historical.

Bathory - Woman of Dark Desires 9.5/10
80's black metal devastation. I once knew a mistress who played this on repeat during her dungeon sessions with clients. She's dead now but she was definitely a woman of dark desires.

Kree Nakoorie's lyrics seem to be about a photo of an uncontacted tribe taken from a helicopter and it possibly gives a name to one dude in a specific photograph they saw looking like a boss. Title seems to be in Urdu and there are places in northern India called Nakuri. Perhaps whoever submitted it should flip through 300 issues of National Geographic to find him!

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG

This has become a bit of a minor favourite since I got into it a couple of years back. I'm not well versed in Euro power metal but most of what I've heard, whether I like it or not, doesn't even really come close to this. I even tried submitting this myself but wasn't fast enough. Absolutely glorious cheese, Elisa Martin is one of the best power metal vocalists, etc 10/10

Maybe a bit too long and disjointed on its own, good epic album closer though. Not as big on this as I am Dark Moor, but it's cool 7/10

Three songs in and it's already the longest mixtape ever. Rev Biz have never truly clicked with me, always felt like they took way too fucking long to get to the point, but I'm not the biggest doom fan around anyway. This is undeniable though, the lyrics are great... on my second listen and it might be the most I've ever enjoyed the band. Yeah gonna need to reevaluate 9/10

Possibly Running Wild's best epic (that I've heard, I do need to check out the post Death or Glory stuff) and probably the best Rolf had ever sounded at this point 9/10

Fucking hell this is impressively shit 0.5/10

Lizzy Borden - Godiva

Nice. Huge fan of this album. Needed that shot of speedy, sleazy old school metal 8/10

I listened to The Christhunt once or twice back in the mid 2000s but other than that I'm not familiar with this band at all. Not bad, a little indistinct. Solo rules 7/10

Not my kind of thing at all. Bit too spastic and all over the place 4/10

Artillery - Khomaniac

Jam-fucking-packed with awesome riffs (opening is iconic). Always liked this guy's voice a lot too: "SOMEONE MUST DIE!". Killer song. I badly need to find a copy of this 9/10

Found this hard to take seriously at first. Definitely improved in the second half as the riffs became more manic, at times verging on unhinged. Thought it was interesting they made it on to a "RACISTS" list on RYM, then saw Pestilence, Primordial and Hells Headbangers Records there and concluded the list was created by a retard 7/10

Used to own their second LP but I've never heard this one before. Cool stuff, love the frantic speed metal riffing 7.5/10

Dunno if I'd even previously heard of these guys. Was listening without watching the video, thinking "what the fuck this guitarist is ridiculous" and it's Malmsteen. Dunno why I haven't previously heard of this... good shit 8/10

Eternal classic from an all time favourite, no words are needed 10/10

Good playlist, cheers cunts!

Last edited:
Dark Moor - Maid of Orleans 8.5/10 sounds like a mix of 80's pop music and sped up nintendo music. Don't listen to this style too often. But if i was ever going to listen to symphonic, speedy, cheesy, kind of epic metal with female vocals that have a weird accent.....then this would be it.

Stratovarius - Visions (Southern Cross) 7.5/10 I like these guys early albums. This was pretty good, a little on the long side.

Reverend Bizarre - Caesar Forever 5/10 just middle of the road. Extremely long. I could probably get into something like this if i was in the mood.

Running Wild - Calico Jack 8.5/10 I picked up the Death or Glory album sometime in the early 90's and like it a lot. For unknown reasons never explored them further. But yeah I dig it.

Motionless in White - Abigail 2/10

Lizzy Borden - Godiva 7.5/10 only familiar with these guys name, never gave them a proper listen. Pretty good

God Dethroned - The Red Baron 8/10 same as above..familiar with the name only. Enjoyed this quite a bit

Solefald - Christiania (Edvard Munch Commemoration) 5/10 different for sure, but it really doesn't do much for me.

Artillery - Khomaniac 10/10 masterpiece!

Maquahuitl - El Corrido de Gregoria Cortez 6/10 actually liked the beginning....but fizzled out after that

Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Fuhrer 8.5/10 I'm a fan

Alcatrazz - Kree Nakoorie 8/10 know nothing of these guys but recognized malmsteen. Then i thought yngwie's looking a little plump

Bathory - Woman of Dark Desires 7.5/10

Edit: been trying to type this out for days...but by the time I'd finish and try to post I'd get the timed out error:err:

Last edited:
Dark Moor - Maid of Orleans 6/10
Stratovarius - Visions (Southern Cross) 9/10
Reverend Bizarre - Caesar Forever 7/10
Running Wild - Calico Jack 7/10
Motionless in White - Abigail 3/10
Lizzy Borden - Godiva 10/10
God Dethroned - The Red Baron 6/10
Solefald - Christiania (Edvard Munch Commemoration) 6/10
Artillery - Khomaniac 7/10
Maquahuitl - El Corrido de Gregoria Cortez 6/10
Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Fuhrer 10/10
Alcatrazz - Kree Nakoorie 7/10
Bathory - Woman of Dark Desires 6/10

The quality of the Running Wild upload ain't too good so you may wanna swap it out for this one.

Dark Moor - Maid of Orleans - 7/10
Stratovarius - Visions 8/10
Revered Bizarre - Caesar Forever - 7/10
Running Wild - Calico Jack - 9/10
Motionless in White - Abigail - 4/10
Lizzy Borden - Godiva - 9/10
God Dethroned - Red Baron 9/10
Solefad - Christiania - 6/10
Artillery - Khomaniac - 10/10 Ayatollah Khomeini? I never made the connection before now. :lol:
Maquahuitl - El Corrido de Gregoria Cortez - 8/10 - Enjoyed this one! :kickass:
Flotsam and Jetsam - Der F/uhrer - 10/10
Alcatrazz - Kree Nakoorie - 8/10
Bathory - Woman of Dark Desires - 8/10

Dark Moor - Maid of Orleans - 7/10 enjoyed this more than most power metal. couple fun riffs, unoffensive vocals, bit long/repetitive

Stratovarius - Visions 8/10 bit more energy than the previous one, bordering on thrashy at times. overly long slow middle section, could have used more progression, stilted spoken voice part. good effort

Revered Bizarre - Caesar Forever - 4/10 the boring low-effort kind of doom, pls drink some coffee and realize how shit this is compared to Sabbath or other good doom

Running Wild - Calico Jack - 7.8/10 sits about where Stratovarius does to me. i should like this but it doesn't stand out from other metal like this, kind of rambles

Motionless in White - Abigail - 2/10 i hope this isn't the future of metal.. this sucks

Lizzy Borden - Godiva - 9/10 this kicks ass, but maybe just because it's right after that previous track? still it's got that driving rhythm that pulls you forward that i dig. it doesn't let itself get boring. nice pick

God Dethroned - Red Baron 3/10 really not a fan of these vocals, and they're too prominent in the mix. not enough musically to save it

Solefad - Christiania - 8/10 interesting. i like one of the singers and not the other. pretty cool medieval folk vibes at times. progressive. i'd listen to other stuff by them and maybe find something i like more. they have potential but not a great song

Artillery - Khomaniac - 9/10 i liked this album from the first time i heard it decades ago. always thought the lyrics were kind of funny, but other than that good times. Artillery in their prime were almost right up there with the big 4, could have taken Anthrax's spot.

Maquahuitl - El Corrido de Gregoria Cortez - 9/10 this is really cool. i'm reminded of surf rock in places, but it's more like spaghetti western black metal. it doesn't fall too far into the edgelordy black metal rabbit hole. creative and well implemented for the subject matter

Flotsam and Jetsam - Der F/uhrer - 7/10 i've tried to get into these guys before, good energy. just not a fan of the guitar work so much, too much tremolo and goes out of key in ways that don't work to my ears at times. pretty basic verse/chorus sections

Alcatrazz - Kree Nakoorie - 8/10 score is just for Yngwie's tech guitar work. don't really like the vocals except for a couple transitional parts. would not go see yngwie live again because of antics, but i mean, the dude can seriously play.

Bathory - Woman of Dark Desires - 6/10 these guys just sound like they need to go crawl back into whatever hole they came out of. they do create a compelling atmosphere but it just goes nowhere other than background mood setting noise.

The title had me wondering if this was an OMD-cover, but it's obviously not. I like the music and especially the solo part. 8/10

Overall quite enjoyable. Vocalist reminded me sometimes a bit of Michael Kiske. 8/10

In spite of its length, I really liked this! 9/10

With Thrash Metal being my favourite subgenre (especially way back in the eighties), I never really cared much about Running Wild, and their "Pirate Metal" image didn't exactly make them more appealing to me. However, apart from the rather dull "oooooo"-part somewhere in the middle, I like this song. 8/10

Luckily, one of the shortest songs in this round. Annoying vocals and the music goes on my nerves as well. 1.5/10

Lizzy Borden - Godiva
Short and fun song. 7.5/10

A song about Snoopy's favourite antagonist. In spite of what the genre description on M.A. might suggest, I actually liked this song, especially the solo parts starting at 1:50. Not too fond of the generic blast beat parts, though, therefore only 7/10

Didn't know what to expect, but I really liked this. Some parts, especially the one at 6:35, sounded like early seventies Progrock. 8.5/10

Artillery - Khomaniac
Thrash Metal the way I like it. 9/10

Considering the compilation appearances of this band mentioned on Metal Archives and the lyrical themes of the other bands their main member is involved in, I won't rate this song, even though this will mean it will get a higher average rating than it would, if I rated it (since the music is not my cup of tea).

The intro part could be a bit shorter and the lyrics of the chorus are a very "unfortunate" choice (the same might go for the title) which might attract the wrong audience - I blame the latter on American ignorance -, but the rest of the lyrics make clear that this is not a NSTM song. The music is right up my alley and I like this song as much as I did 36 years ago. (Seeing the band name Lizzy Borden in this playlist, Flotsam and Jetsam's "She Took an Axe" would also have fit in this round.) 9/10

If this song hadn't been mentioned in a wikipedia article about the Paraná, I'd still wonder what it refers to. As regards the song itself, I like it a lot, especially the guitar-playing. Didn't recognize Yngwie by his looks, but judging by the virtuoso playing, this couldn't be someone I had never heard (of) before. As regards his appearance, the singer looks like he is at the wrong gig, but his powerful vocals fit perfectly. Especially because of the extraordinary guitar work: 9.5/10

Vocals might no be my favourite kind, but are still bearable for me, and since I like the song itself: 8/10

Looks like one of the most enjoyable rounds for me thus far, only two songs I really disliked and anything else 7/10 or higher.

Considering the compilation appearances of this band mentioned on Metal Archives and the lyrical themes of the other bands their main member is involved in, I won't rate this song, even though this will mean it will get a higher average rating than it would, if I rated it (since the music is not my cup of tea).

wow didn't know you were racist against mexicans, they're people too y'know