Traditional Doom Metal

Be Forewarned regulary rotates with Relentless as my favourite Pentagram studio album. It has a couple of less slightly weaker songs but the second half of the album is near flawless. The production is much clearer and heavier than most of the other albums, and the entire thing just crushes. Tracks like Life Blood, Petrified and the title track are beyond awesome. But do yourself a favour and the get the First Daze compilations, especially the first, which contains some of their best songs. In fact, First Daze Here is probably my favourite and most listened to Pentagram release..

Cool. It's not often that 80's bands put out such sensational albums once they've aged into the 90's.

The 70s version of "Be Forewarned" totally rapes and pillages the album version.

QFT x 3746583982921111111

One of th emost haunting, menacing songs of the 70's. It's probably my favorite song/version out of all Pentagram material tbh. At the beginning of the song, you can just picture Bobby curled up in the corner of a room in a fetal position, battling mental demons.

Good going Matthew.

Don't forget Weird Light and The Lamp Of Thoth (the latter of which I know you're not apeshit about). It'd be nice to see the new Solstice and Solomon Kane out this year as well.

Weird Light are putting out their debut this year? Yea, that would make sense. 08 is gonna be fucking ruthless...fucking relentless. $$$$

WL, along with AoS and Griftegard are RIDICULOUSLY promising new Doom Metal bands.

As far as TLoT, yeah...I can take em or leave em, so far anyhow. They are very hit or miss so far with me. They show moments of awesomeness followed by mediocrity. I am still looking forward to their upcoming full length though. I feel they are going to get a lot better with growth.

The Lamp of Thoth has grabbed me alot. Atleast some of the songs, I think their self titled and Blood on Satan's Claw are great. I love Doom/Heavy metal bands with very occult image like Pagan Altar or TLoT.

The Lamp of Thoth has grabbed me alot. Atleast some of the songs, I think their self titled and Blood on Satan's Claw are great. I love Doom/Heavy metal bands with very occult image like Pagan Altar or TLoT.

Oh, likewise. I absolutely love that style/image as well but TLoT is very patchy imo. They'll churn out a stellar song than the next will be simply "meh." Like I said, they are definitely promising and have yet to hit their peak. When they do, it shall be very exciting.

I've never looked forward more to a new album then the upcoming Valkyrie cd. I heard a new song and it's tight, but nothing compared to material of the s/t

zx86xi.jpg

The tentative track listing is as follows:

RUNNING OUT
DAWNTIDE'S BREEZE (formerly known as "destruction")
GREEN HIGHLANDER (Instrumental)
APOCALYPSE UNSEALED ( formerly known as "valkyrie")
FALSE DREAMS
THE GORGE (solo acoustic)
MAN OF TWO VISIONS

NoShadow.jpg

Indianapolis metal contingent THE GATES OF SLUMBER have completed work on what will undoubtedly be recognized as one of the most prominent true heavy/doom metal albums to be released this year, namely the masterpiece known as "Conqueror"...

What will easily serve as The Gates Of Slumber's crowning achievement, "Conqueror" is a mere reminder that there is actually quality metal, in the truest sense, being released today, and proves once again that the best metal being released today comes from the underground, where the true and dedicated dwell, those who appreciate true metal as an art form and appreciate it for the right reasons.

"Conqueror" nonetheless is an adventurous jaunt, with the epic and colossal nature of the songs being more to the point, which in turn makes "Conqueror" the most tightly knit, focused and structured Gates Of Slumber offering to date. Produced and recorded by Sanford Parker (Unearthly Trance, Nachtmystium, Pelican etc.), hence one can only expect a nice warm and natural sound that opposes all the triggered and digitally processed garbage that's pretty much polluting the scene, everything about "Conqueror" is mighty. From the memorably constructed melodies, Karl Simon's passionately sung vocals and awesome guitar solos, and the wicked rhythm section provided by bassist Jason McCash and drummer Bob Fouts, "Conqueror" is pretty much an album that defines everything we here at Profound Lore Records like about metal, and is an album that again, gives us faith that there is such a thing today as true quality metal with class and conviction.

To be released in North America May 19th and in Europe via our comrades I Hate Records, the track listing to "Conqueror" goes as follows:

1. Trapped in the Web
2. Conqueror
3. Ice Worm
4. Eyes of the Liar
5. Children of Satan
6. To Kill and Be King
7. The Machine
8. Dark Valley Suite
I. Black River I
II. Lines Written With the Knowledge that I must Die
III. Call of the Black Gods
IV. Black River II

Look for more Gates Of Slumber updates to periodically surface as the build-up towards "Conqueror" continues and an MP3 to surface in the near future.

Word. No official release date yet but expect it within the next couple months on CD. The cover art is by Ken Meyer Jr. who does a lot of comic book and gaming art.

If you ever get a chance to see them live, Do It. They put on a helluva show.

That's what I heard, and I think I'm gonna take a trek up to New Haven or NYC to see em. Yea I heard the cd and LP should be expected in the Spring. The cd is being released by noble origins I believe and the LP by Kreation Records.

NoShadow.jpg

Indianapolis metal contingent THE GATES OF SLUMBER have completed work on what will undoubtedly be recognized as one of the most prominent true heavy/doom metal albums to be released this year, namely the masterpiece known as "Conqueror"...

What will easily serve as The Gates Of Slumber's crowning achievement, "Conqueror" is a mere reminder that there is actually quality metal, in the truest sense, being released today, and proves once again that the best metal being released today comes from the underground, where the true and dedicated dwell, those who appreciate true metal as an art form and appreciate it for the right reasons.

"Conqueror" nonetheless is an adventurous jaunt, with the epic and colossal nature of the songs being more to the point, which in turn makes "Conqueror" the most tightly knit, focused and structured Gates Of Slumber offering to date. Produced and recorded by Sanford Parker (Unearthly Trance, Nachtmystium, Pelican etc.), hence one can only expect a nice warm and natural sound that opposes all the triggered and digitally processed garbage that's pretty much polluting the scene, everything about "Conqueror" is mighty. From the memorably constructed melodies, Karl Simon's passionately sung vocals and awesome guitar solos, and the wicked rhythm section provided by bassist Jason McCash and drummer Bob Fouts, "Conqueror" is pretty much an album that defines everything we here at Profound Lore Records like about metal, and is an album that again, gives us faith that there is such a thing today as true quality metal with class and conviction.

To be released in North America May 19th and in Europe via our comrades I Hate Records, the track listing to "Conqueror" goes as follows:

1. Trapped in the Web
2. Conqueror
3. Ice Worm
4. Eyes of the Liar
5. Children of Satan
6. To Kill and Be King
7. The Machine
8. Dark Valley Suite
I. Black River I
II. Lines Written With the Knowledge that I must Die
III. Call of the Black Gods
IV. Black River II

Look for more Gates Of Slumber updates to periodically surface as the build-up towards "Conqueror" continues and an MP3 to surface in the near future.

That's a bitching cover.

The Gates Of Slumber is one of the most amazing bands out there right now as far as I'm concerned. I actually still need to pick up a copy of the Awakening...I'm waiting for the reissue. I passed on the split with Spiritus Mortis though, I'm not much of a fan of SM.