Traditional Doom Metal

Die Healing is my favorite Vitus album, easily. S/T is number 2. I love Wino, but Scott Reagers is way better for Vitus IMO.

The song "Transcending" from Penance's album Proving Ground is one of my all-time favourite doom metal tracks. But the band has a lot of boring material imo.

I've heard everything released by Penance. Unless you have a massive attention span, The Road Less Travelled and The Road Revisited are weary and lackluster albums.

Well, it's the band's own label, so yeah. You should still buy from them what you can, though.

Of course, but you know how it goes. Something that's legally free is tough to come by... and it's good so that's even better.

I've heard everything released by Penance. Unless you have a massive attention span, The Road Less Travelled and The Road Revisited are weary and lackluster albums.

I've listened to the Road Less Travelled a couple times in the past few days... and I dont get the hate.

pffftt...Penance is awesome. Proving Ground is my favorite. Spiritualnatural is really good too. Their "classic" is Parallel Corners. The ROad Less Travelled was their debut, after the break up of the overrated Dream Death, so naturally it sounds more like Dream Death than anything after it.

I like really dark death/doom without much frills... like Moondark, Coffins, diSEMBOWELMENT, Goatlord, and Hooded Menace... but they dont really feel like doom metal to me... more just slow death metal...

And I cant compare that to traditional doom at all. (if what I said made any sense)

Anyway... anyone listen to Paul Chain? I've heard some of his albums are trad doom and good... but I wouldnt know where to start with so many releases.

im not into sludge-ish doom/death. give me trad over sludge any day

I know they referred to themselves as sludge when they were active, but it's not really sludge as the "definition" exists. It's more like thrashy doom with very slight hardcore influence and the tiniest bit of death metal.

I like Penance, but in my opinion they don't even come close to touching Dream Death, in terms of originality or quality.

this whole korean/us address thing is fucking me, I gotta like email each distro to see if they can send to me..annoying as hell

I know they referred to themselves as sludge when they were active, but it's not really sludge as the "definition" exists. It's more like thrashy doom with very slight hardcore influence and the tiniest bit of death metal.

yeah they're pretty much from the celtic frost, trouble and slayer school of asskicking

From his post in the Doom Metal thread, the poster is the band's vocalist...

They really do sound fantastic... and even with just three rough mixed myspace tracks, I think it's safe to call them epic doom metal.