US 2008 Paradise Lost Tour

Another thing I was wondering...the chorus vocals (such as in Serpent's Kiss, Masquerade, etc.) sounded remarkably loud, clear, and CD-like. Were they using backing tracks for those, or was it just the voices of Romeo, Lepond and Pinella?

lol just out of curiosity what is brocore?

brocore if F'in funny thats what brocore is.... good one, I think I will start using it.

Im assuming it might be shaved heads, lots of tatoos, fu manchus and giant free for all "many men enter.... one man leave" mosh pits ?

Another thing I was wondering...the chorus vocals (such as in Serpent's Kiss, Masquerade, etc.) sounded remarkably loud, clear, and CD-like. Were they using backing tracks for those, or was it just the voices of Romeo, Lepond and Pinella?

Blend of both. There is a backing sample that is triggered by Pinnella and the band sings over top of it.

Blend of both. There is a backing sample that is triggered by Pinnella and the band sings over top of it.

Glenn, given that you know that, maybe you can answer a question I've been curious about for some time...

Triggering a backing vox sample on the keys is going to make the sample occur at a set tempo (assuming its all one sample mapped to a given note). But when you play a song live, you approximate the tempo, and chances are you will vary + or - 5 to 10 bpm. So how do you get a triggered backing vox sample to sync into the tempo of a given section in a live performance. I mean, I guess you could map each note of the backing vox across multiple keys and gain a little bit of control over when they spit out, but I would imagine that would sound choppy with samples snapping off and on unnaturally. Anyway, just a point of curiosity if you or anyone happens to know.

Glenn, given that you know that, maybe you can answer a question I've been curious about for some time...

Triggering a backing vox sample on the keys is going to make the sample occur at a set tempo (assuming its all one sample mapped to a given note). But when you play a song live, you approximate the tempo, and chances are you will vary + or - 5 to 10 bpm. So how do you get a triggered backing vox sample to sync into the tempo of a given section in a live performance. I mean, I guess you could map each note of the backing vox across multiple keys and gain a little bit of control over when they spit out, but I would imagine that would sound choppy with samples snapping off and on unnaturally. Anyway, just a point of curiosity if you or anyone happens to know.

I bet that they are just starting the songs at the right tempos and they stick to it. If not though, with digital editing it is easy to chop up the sample and spit it out at pretty much any tempo sounding the same, so if you know the tempo that you're playing at (you can sample the snare drum backbeat live and figure it out like that), that's one way...but it seems more plausible that they are just playing the songs at the right tempo, and maybe Jason gets a tempo reading before leading off?

That is a great question, and also one that I've always wondered myself.

On the same note, I'll bet the voices in all of their epic choir-like sections are sampled (e.g. Babylon, Church); I know they're sampled in the bridge of Sins and Shadows...

Philly show!

my friends and i got a doll and gave it a cape that said "babylon whore, Ravage me!". i was one person away basically on the barrier. ther ewas a small girl in front of me, so i was in essence front row. i threw up the doll right after set the world on fire. russ watched me throw it. it landed under romeo, as he played the intro to domination. russ picked it up.... looked at it... held it's head in front of romeo's crotch... and made it look like it was sucking romeo's johnson. then he threw it back to me, and some other guy grabbed it. i got it back eventually. pictures of the whore still to come. Neither of the guys read the cape, so they probably just thought i was throwing some freaky doll up there. also, romeo started playing inferno when the ret of the band started to play wob. romeo startedlaughing, and russ was making jokes about it for the rest of the night. the sound could have been better (romeo was a bit hard to hear...maybe his treb should go up), but the bands performance was nothng less than godlike.

Mike Portnoy was in the audience sitting with Russ's wife in the vip section upstairs.

@Jax. tell the guys what the doll was. a least they'll know why one of their fans had a friggin doll. also, i'm not sure if you asked them to play egypt for me, but they did, and i loved it!

setlist was:

Oculus ex inferni
set the world on fire
domination
serpent's kiss
masquerade (why no break down at the end?)
paradise lost
egypt/ death of balance
Walls of babylon
inferno
smoke and mirrors
revelation/divine wings ending
------
eve of seduction
of sins and shadows

Hey I was there I saw you do that! Too cool! I was in the second row and first row, but I held on the railing most of the time (besides when I went to the mosh pits). It was pretty cool to see Stygian, I've played with them before.

And that ass in the middle in the front row kept on screaming at Portnoy and pointing at him. Sucked for Mike. He turned around and put his over his head haha.

And I started a chant for LePond during Domination and he saw me do it! I just thought that was really awesome.

Great show.

Philly show was amazing. Russ sounded absolutely divine - I've seen 'em at least a dozen times now and he's never sounded better. I was so happy to hear Egypt and Divine Wings (if only 1/7th of it! :p) I'm very tempted to catch them at the Jaxx show next month now.

I know I'm going to sound like a bitch about this but I don't know why he has to say so many f words at a concert. It's kind of dumb to me. Too many metal bands do it and I wish symphony x wouldn't do it either.

Hey Is it only in Montreal that they play odyssey or what? Nice setlist trought but I hope at the end X will finish Odyssey like last show, it was soooooo fucking nice!