What is metal elitism?

There's nothing wrong with thinking the shit you like is better than what other people listen to. It gets annoying if you constantly degrade the other persons music and explain why your music is what every smart and sensible person should be listening to. Modesty, people.

A friend of mine who loves hip hop gave me a whole bunch of stuff to try and get me into hip-hop/rap, and at best I didnt find it unbearable. This was basically the only song that I found to be somewhat enjoyable, but it became pretty clear to me that I just dont like the genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
rap music

i work with a lot of black folks (the 'hood variety) so i hear a lot of rap from headphones, people "singing" (SEE: talking) lyrics, booming bass in cars (because that's cool), plus the guys just want this suburban white guy to hear it.

so i listened to this shit.

apparently this is the "houston" sound. no wonder this city blows.

then they played me this, and I wept for this culture.

i dont doubt that. thats what the guys play for me on their phones. after hearing all the shit they play, i have absolutely less than zero interest in hearing any rap.

the guy that i work with are cool dudes, no doubt. but i cannot stand the saggy pants, doo rag, nigga this nigga that, get me some breezies, superman dat ho, ballcap too big for their head culture. and im surrounded by it at work

could be worse. i could be surrounded by country music rednecks

Sure but there's a rap dude version of you out there and he listens to quality hip hop and could teach you a thing or two about it. What's sad is he hears Slipknot and does the same thing to Metal.

^^ And that's why elitists of any genre are frequently misunderstood. Nobody needs to get angsty about it though.

try this
[videos]

Actually, this isnt bad at all. Still probably not something id listen to, but it's definitely much darker and brooding than pretty much any other hip hop ive heard.

Im still wondering why whenever alternative taste in music comes up, its almost always rap or hip hop. Especially considering that this is a thread about metal elitism :err:

edit: @ J. - Aside from the redneck part, id probably prefer that. Ive always liked country more than rap/hip hop (which isnt saying much).

@ Jimmy: probably. thing is i have zero interest in spreading metal around. id rather it stay hidden that way i know i am elite

@EternalMetal: im in houston so my exposure to either hip hop culture (east side, where i work) and country culture (north and west, where i live) are extensive.

I dont mind some country music like george strait, garth 90s type stuff. its not something id buy or choose to listen to but its tolerable and chicks like that stuff. the crap nowadays is pathetic. fucking kenny chesney in concert at the rodeo blew.

@EternalMetal: im in houston so my exposure to either hip hop culture (east side, where i work) and country culture (north and west, where i live) are extensive.

I dont mind some country music like george strait, garth 90s type stuff. its not something id buy or choose to listen to but its tolerable and chicks like that stuff. the crap nowadays is pathetic. fucking kenny chesney in concert at the rodeo blew.

Yea, the new country pop is fucking unbearable. If it's country, the older and more outlaw, the better imo.

Technically pop "country" isn't even country. The majority of country radio is nothing but pop/EDM with maybe a stray banjo or fiddle and a singer with some faint twang in their voice. That is if it isn't auto-tuned out. I suppose I'm a country elitist. Last year some guy on YouTube mashed up 6 pop (or "bro") country songs together proving that they all literally sound the same:

@ Jimmy: probably. thing is i have zero interest in spreading metal around. id rather it stay hidden that way i know i am elite

msgqQlx.jpg