What is metal elitism?

people who blanket hate entire genres generally have no intention of even trying to understand or appreciate them, so there's no point bothering with recs

Or some people just don't enjoy the sound of rapping? I might be the only person in the world who has this opinion but, I literally don't care about lyrics at all. Like not even in the slightest. Huge reason why rap does absolutely nothing for me. I don't like rap beats either. I've heard a lot of rap, and every single song I disliked in nearly every way possible, sometimes I laugh because the lyrics and voice of the rapper is so stupid though.

Stop defending yourself so much. I think it's fine for you to not enjoy something if you're willing to acknowledge that there is merit behind it, which you have already done. You don't need to keep talking about how you don't enjoy it.

Rap is OK, but often whenever I hear a rap song I like, I find that the artists they sampled were better.

Or some people just don't enjoy the sound of rapping? I might be the only person in the world who has this opinion but, I literally don't care about lyrics at all. Like not even in the slightest. Huge reason why rap does absolutely nothing for me. I don't like rap beats either. I've heard a lot of rap, and every single song I disliked in nearly every way possible, sometimes I laugh because the lyrics and voice of the rapper is so stupid though.

i did say 'generally' tbf. it's an overused accusation but there genuinely are a lot of closed minded people out there, even amongst intelligent folks. i used to be one of them which is why i feel like i can say this. there are an absolute shitload of things i used to dismiss as a teen but then, once i consciously delved into the genres and tried to understand what people saw in them, i almost always ended up liking some of it or at least being more tolerant. i've increasingly become a v curious person though, i enjoy learning what people see in something i don't get and i work hard to try to get into that mindset - i appreciate that some people aren't like that lol. but yeah, not liking the sound of rapping is fair enough, but do you really not like ANY rap beats even though they often sample other genres (inc. metal) and can often be epic or dark or etc in similar ways to a lot of metal etc? just seems odd to me. *shrug*

also, i think a lot of people base their opinion of rap on having heard the mainstream or critically acclaimed stuff - if most of us did that with metal, we'd probs hate metal too. i know i would.

Ever considered giving a shot to jazz rap? Most rap I like is from this subgenre.

Last edited by a moderator:
also, i think a lot of people base their opinion of rap on having heard the mainstream or critically acclaimed stuff - if most of us did that with metal, we'd probs hate metal too. i know i would.

Nah, the most classic/mainstream stuff is more the equivalent of a Metallica or Judas Priest or something. Plus, rap is more dependent on high production values than metal.

deathcore rules

there are an absolute shitload of things i used to dismiss as a teen but then, once i consciously delved into the genres and tried to understand what people saw in them, i almost always ended up liking some of it or at least being more tolerant. i've increasingly become a v curious person though, i enjoy learning what people see in something i don't get and i work hard to try to get into that mindset

I do this a lot myself, which results in me being less quick to dismiss and hate something that I dont immediately identify with. Which is why I let my friend introduce me to copious amounts of hip-hop. I see the appeal and understand why people enjoy it, but it is just a style that I have a hard time identifying with. Ill occasionally listen to it and feel like a badass, but then ill put on a metal record and realize that I wasnt really enjoying it. Rap even less so. I enjoy so many more genres (other than metal) that I can actually appreciate and get into much more than hip-hop or rap. I even prefer the diabetes inducing J-pop/K-pop more than I do almost anything from the hip-hop genre that ive heard.

Nah, the most classic/mainstream stuff is more the equivalent of a Metallica or Judas Priest or something. Plus, rap is more dependent on high production values than metal.

nas, public enemy, wu tang etc, sure. not so much the likes of nelly, 50 cent, p diddy etc, who sold better than the above in their primes i believe.

I do this a lot myself, which results in me being less quick to dismiss and hate something that I dont immediately identify with. Which is why I let my friend introduce me to copious amounts of hip-hop. I see the appeal and understand why people enjoy it, but it is just a style that I have a hard time identifying with. Ill occasionally listen to it and feel like a badass, but then ill put on a metal record and realize that I wasnt really enjoying it. Rap even less so. I enjoy so many more genres (other than metal) that I can actually appreciate and get into much more than hip-hop or rap. I even prefer the diabetes inducing J-pop/K-pop more than I do almost anything from the hip-hop genre that ive heard.

sure. me too most of the time.

i remember getting the first gravediggaz album because i liked the song on the demon knight soundtrack.

it was the best song on the album.

EDIT: Found it

Stop defending yourself so much. I think it's fine for you to not enjoy something if you're willing to acknowledge that there is merit behind it, which you have already done. You don't need to keep talking about how you don't enjoy it.

No need to be a douche.

i did say 'generally' tbf. it's an overused accusation but there genuinely are a lot of closed minded people out there, even amongst intelligent folks. i used to be one of them which is why i feel like i can say this. there are an absolute shitload of things i used to dismiss as a teen but then, once i consciously delved into the genres and tried to understand what people saw in them, i almost always ended up liking some of it or at least being more tolerant. i've increasingly become a v curious person though, i enjoy learning what people see in something i don't get and i work hard to try to get into that mindset - i appreciate that some people aren't like that lol. but yeah, not liking the sound of rapping is fair enough, but do you really not like ANY rap beats even though they often sample other genres (inc. metal) and can often be epic or dark or etc in similar ways to a lot of metal etc? just seems odd to me. *shrug*

Nah man, I've heard every kind of rap there is. Underground rap, that "death rap" shit, gangster rap, mainstream rap, etc. Most people where I live only listen to rap/hip hop.

No need to be a douche.

Weird. My post was actually in support of you and your right to dislike something on the basis of the fact that you didn't outright dismiss it as something objectively bad. I was saying that other people can't really say you're being unfair.

Apparently agreeing with someone and saying that they don't need to defend themselves anymore makes you a douche. Cool.

moose.jpg

moosedm2003_468x440.jpg