Who is the best singer in metal?

Harry Conklin is probably one of the best Bruce Dickinson clones Ive ever heard (and I dont mean that in a bad way) but his live shtick is just too cheesy for me. All the stupid little hand gestures and the studded wrist guards. And the whole HOW ARE YOU MIGHTY METAL WARRIORS DOING TONIGHT??? thing....

Now, the band they're opening for...Andi Deris is an *amazing* front man. One of the best Ive ever seen (tho no one will top Russ).

Hyoukinmono said:
I'm not saying that Graham is the best metal singer, but I've always been a big fan. Thus my "vote" for him. My "vote" was basically just adding him to my list of singers that I like.
I just bought Down To Earth, and his singing on that album is definatly not my cup of tea. His voice is too rough and 'drag-queenish' for my liking. I don't like his Alcatrazz albums either, I simply can't stand his voice. Of course, there are much worse singers out there, such as Kai Hansen.

theodyssey said:
Eh... if i had the energy, i could tell you stories about harry....

Anyhow, yeah. Also the dude from Grim Reaper... what was his name? Grim Reaper rules :lol:
Steve Grimmet was his name. Granted, his appearance wasn't the best in the early days when he wore the red leather suit and had short hair ("See you in Hell" video), but man that dude has an incredible voice! After Grim Reaper broke up he joined a pretty cool band called Onslaught. The production on the album "In Search of Sanity" was unique, but kind of cool. I don't know if they ever did any other albums, but there are some cool tunes on this one, including a cover of AC/DC's "Let there Be Rock".

Grim Reaper's best song was "Fear No Evil", with "D.O.A." coming in a close second. Aside from that, they had a lot of really crappy tunes. I still think Grimmet was one of the best singers in metal though. Especially live!

Oyvind Haegeland of Spiral Architect/Arcturus.

Though everyone I've talked to seems to think otherwise. It has got to be the higher registers.

Yeah, steve grimmet. Heh, i personally enjoy a lot of their stuff... REALLY cheesy. But awesome.

NIGHT OF THE VAMPIIIIIIIIIIRE! HE'S ONLY LOOKING FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!!!!!

And see you in hell is the second best song EVER. Ok, so mabey i'm just being an ass, but grim reaper is the only cheesy 80's hair metal band (if that's how you wanna classify them, if not fine but i'm not gonna argue) that i would say i really like. They just rule... in a bad sort of way... but in all honesty, he has a great voice. To bad it's wasted at times on such lyrics as in the song "suck it and see" *shakes head*

theodyssey said:
Yeah, steve grimmet. Heh, i personally enjoy a lot of their stuff... REALLY cheesy. But awesome.

NIGHT OF THE VAMPIIIIIIIIIIRE! HE'S ONLY LOOKING FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!!!!!

And see you in hell is the second best song EVER. Ok, so mabey i'm just being an ass, but grim reaper is the only cheesy 80's hair metal band (if that's how you wanna classify them, if not fine but i'm not gonna argue) that i would say i really like. They just rule... in a bad sort of way... but in all honesty, he has a great voice. To bad it's wasted at times on such lyrics as in the song "suck it and see" *shakes head*
I think Nick Bowcott's guitar work on "Rock You to Hell" was awesome! And some of the songs were pretty good. I think "Night of the Vampire" may have been the best song on that album, along with "Lust for Freedom".

You're right though, what the hell were they thinking when they wrote "Suck it and See"? I'm not sure what the hell they were trying to convey with that one. I took it as the guy met what he thought was a woman in a bar, she turned out to be a transvestite, and he decided to have sex with "him" anyway. Pretty disgusting in my mind, but hey, maybe that's not what they meant. Who knows.

Anyway, I remember them playing with Helloween and Armored Saint on the Hell on Wheels tour back in the early 90's. They and Armored Saint were awesome! Helloween played well but their music was so cheesy. Nothing like a metal polka to get you going in the morning. Anyway, Steve Grimmet was unreal in that show. The power in his voice was incredible!

metals most underrated singer: Tony Martin (ex Black Sabbath 1989 - 1995).

i threw this album on today and although ive been a major groupie for this guy since i was 15 i had forgotten just how completely amazing his voice is.. My Ultimate Wet Dream: Russell and Tony singing together..

SilentRealm said:
metals most underrated singer: Tony Martin (ex Black Sabbath 1989 - 1995).
I agree 100%, he is just awesome! Headless Cross is one of my favorite metal albums of all time. I think he was a much better singer than Ozzy, although I think Ronnie James Dio was Sabbath's best singer. I wonder if Martin still has a good voice, I'd love to hear more of his singing. Actually, I think Blackmore should have gotten Tony Martin to sing when he 'reunited' Rainbow in '95, his voice is the perfect mixture of RJD and Joe Lynn Turner.

Yngtchie Blacksteen said:
Mark Boals (He can reach all notes reachable, plus he's a decent opera-singer, too.)
He's also one of the nicest guys in metal too and very easy to work with.

I'll add Tony Kakko to my favorites list, and Amy Lee of Evanescence if I can stretch the metal category to include her.