Who is the best singer in metal?

Yngtchie Blacksteen said:
I agree 100%, he is just awesome! Headless Cross is one of my favorite metal albums of all time. I think he was a much better singer than Ozzy, although I think Ronnie James Dio was Sabbath's best singer. I wonder if Martin still has a good voice, I'd love to hear more of his singing.
I personally think Tony was Sabbaths best singer.. I like Ronnie a whole lot, but theres no contest for me.. Tony makes me melt into a huge puddle on the floor. Plus if you see how he is talking in interviews and stuff the man has no ego about his voice at all, which I admire greatly.

After Sabbath he did a personal project called Back Where I Belong, and did some projects for other people as well, but I have never heard more than a few second samples of any of it. I'm thinking of finding out on his personal site www.tonymartin.net where i can get my hands on the rest of his cd's.

The leads from Ill Nino and Sevendust ain't half bad, if they're included in metal. Also the lead from Shadows Fall. Being able to balence screaming and sing, and then making flow is skill.

Yngtchie Blacksteen said:
I'm sure he is, he sounds like a cool guy from reading his interviews. I haven't heard Edge Of The World yet, is it similar to Ring Of Fire?
Not really. There are less classical influences and more old prog influences, aand some straight rock here and there, and Mark uses a lot more of his range (not just the banshee register :) ). I have to say I prefer EotW to most of the Ring Of Fire stuff because it lets Mark shine, though ROF is really coming up with some gems too now that SOMEONE out of the picture now isn't dictating that all the songs be written by one person. :Smug:

Chris Brooks said:
Not really. There are less classical influences and more old prog influences, aand some straight rock here and there, and Mark uses a lot more of his range (not just the banshee register :) ).
Damn, this sounds like my dream album, I think I'll order it as soon as possible. Too bad you only played on 'Fly', I'd love to hear more of that geetar magic of yours. ;)

Russell Allen is mighty
Seeing James Hetfield live was mighty too, I have to give him credit...Lars on the otherhand, needs a lobotomy
I'm a BIG fan of that dude from Beyond Twilight
That dude from Nocturnal Rites is mighty too...wow I haven't listened to them in AGES...must find albums
Can't really think of anybody else at the moment, I'm sure I will though.

Jesus this thread should be in black and white it's so damn old, I bet most of you weren't even born. My previous incarnation started this thread but he sold out, he's working in a bank somewhere and listens to James Blunt and new Children of Bodom, what a fuckin retard. Still they were good days, enjoy your youth while it lasts punks.

Anyway going on topic for a change I still say Russell but now closely followed by Andy Kunz of Vanden Plas, who was just breathtaking on Christ O.

Off the top of my head:

Mikkel Sandager (Mercenary)
Lars F. Larsen (Manticora)
Kobi Farhi (Orphaned Land)
John K. (Biomechanical)
Heri Joensen (Týr)
Jens Carlsson (Persuader, Dark Empire, Savage Circus)
Mariusz Duda (Riverside)
Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus)
Jari Mäenpää (Wintersun, Ex-Ensiferum)

Russell Allen is, of course, a given.

:kickass:

Wow, this is almost as major as when I bumped the Official Off Topic thread.

Lately, I've been listening to alot of Adagio, and David Readman's voice really stands out to me.

Ronnie Dio (in his prime)
Russell Allen
Urban Breed
Udo Dirkshneider (in his prime)
Andy Kuntz
Tony Martin
Mike Howe
Edu
Chity Somapala
Ray Alder
Geoff Tate (in his prime)

Bryant

To keep the list short, here's just a few of my favourites:

Russel Allen (of course, SyX wouldn't be the same without him)
Phil Anselmo (back in the days of course. Outstanding voice, range and style)
Ronnie James Dio (no comment necessary ;))