YOUR TOP 5 GUITARISTS OF ALL TIME

This thread has reminded me of all the "guitar" albums I have. Wanted to share a disc that any guitar player on this forum should appreciate. Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughn--"In Session." Recorded in Hamilton, Ontario: December 6, 1983. I will not asses this disc, for my words will never do it justice. The music will deliver. If you haven't heard this already, do yourself a huge favor and pick it up.Peace.

I don't know how I forgot this guy, maybe spending too mush time with "Mother Nature." Who gives a fuck, any way Scott Henderson is an absolute maniac. Disc's are Tore down House, Dog Party and there is a "live" one(forget the name) Check out his work with Tribal Tech--fusion band. Peace.

ironbeard said:
I don't know how I forgot this guy, maybe spending too mush time with "Mother Nature." Who gives a fuck, any way Scott Henderson is an absolute maniac. Disc's are Tore down House, Dog Party and there is a "live" one(forget the name) Check out his work with Tribal Tech--fusion band. Peace.
Tribal Tech is AMAZING.

Ok, here goes :

Denis "Piggy" D'Amour from Voivod R.I.P.
One of the most groundbreaking metal guitarist

Alex Lifeson from Rush
Great songwriter, magnificient arpeggios, original playing and songwriting

Stevie Ray Vaughan R.I.P
The best blues guitarist of all time, PERIOD !!! (I am not a blues fan, but man, did he play...)

Mikael Akerfeldt
Overall play, originality, songwriting, leads, versatility (he made me take the axe back, thank you Mikael!)

David Gilmour
My first guitar hero, for songwriting and how many memorable solos...

Cheers to all !

:worship:

jimmy page
jimmy page
jimmy page
jimmy page
jimmy page

I win.

if you have any doubts, wath the LZ DVD, check out the stairway solo right before the fanfare part, he pulls this completely unexpected bit that is like some kind of sonic orgasm. or if you have any boots of them check out the thank you solo from Orlando in 1970. Unfuckwithable.

David Gilmour - An amazing songwriter, player, etc... no explanation needed.

Ritchie Blackmore - The first well-known player to infuse hard rock with classical music. Plus, Deep Purple is one of my top 5 bands.

Mikael Åkerfeldt - psh... everyone knows why. :lol:

Derek Trucks - I had the pleasure of seeing him live last year... his band put on an amazing show... he knows exactly when to solo.(and his solos are mind-blowing)

Al Di Meola - I saw him live last year as well, brilliant show. I have admired his playing ever since I began playing guitar, and he is a true innovator.

Other favorites: Peter Lindgren, Tony Iommi(although he is nothing without Sabbath), Steve Vai(a bit too queer to be in my top 5), Jimmy Page, Paco De Lucia, Joe Satriani, Jon Petrucci, Jesper Strømblad, Steve Wilson, Anders Nyström, Dave Mustaine, Peter Tägtren, etc.

ok, it's very hard to narrow it down to 5 but I will try...

In no particular order:

Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Dimebag Darrell Abbott
Peter Tägtgren of Hypocrisy
Jimi Hendrix

special mentions go to Peter Lindgren, Dave Mustain of Megadeth, Kaki King, Kerry King of Slayer, Jesper of InFlames, Devin Townsend, Anders Nyström of Katatonia, Steven Wilson (of course)...

I'll just stop there, I could go on, but I don't have the time...

Has nobody heard of Jason Becker? As much as I like Friedman, Becker > Friedman by a LONG shot. Becker > King/Hanneman/Dimebag combined. That is how good my man Jason is.

1) Jason Becker
This man owns.
SM: Serrana

2) Marty Friedman
This man does too.
SM: Speed Metal Symphony, Tornado of Souls, Lucretia

3) Mikael Akerfeldt
You all know why.
SM: Blackwater Park (song), A Fair Judgement, Deliverance

4) Pat O'Brien
Say what you want about CC, O'Brien is skilled.
SM: Frantic Disembowelment

5) Dave Mustaine
He might be a prick, but he wins.
SM: Holy Wars, Hangar 18

3+ pages, on a metal board, and Buckethead has gotten one tiny mention.

I mean, I like a lot of these guys......but he's the best I've seen by a good margin. Among the most technically proficient, maybe the most eclectic and versatile, and without a doubt the most original of all listed. Jazz, rock, metal, techno, hardcore, blues, whatever you got.

Greg Howe has some crazy more technically oriented recordings. I rarely listen to him now, but he's worth checking out for those who haven't heard about him. Among his solo albums I could recommend the neoclassical meets jazz fusion sounding Ascend. The Ukranian keyboardist Vitalij Kuprij plays on that album, and he's really good. Howe also plays on Kuprij's first solo album around the same time. I used to really dig this stuff.
He has toured and recorded with Michael Jackson and Enrique Iglesias and Justin Timberlake before :loco: Actually a friend of mine who loved Greg Howe had to go to an Enrique Iglesias concert to see him. :lol:

1. John Petrucci (Dream Theater) - SM; Under a glass moon, erotomania
2. Ritchie Blackmore(Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blackmores Night) - SM; catch the rainbow
3. Glen Tipton(Judas Priest) - sm; touch of evil
4. Criss Oliva(savatage): Sm: ghose in the ruins
5. Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath): SM; Heaven and Hell

My top 5 are ..........??????????........... Well # 1 is easy

Mikael Akerfeldt # 1

Kirk Hammett # 2

Stevie Ray Vaughn # 3

Joe Satriani # 4

Tie between Paige/Hendrix/Waters/Dimebag/Clapton/Eddie Van Halen

Mark Knohpler -> due to pure skill, sometimes I wonder if it's he's really healhty but he does play really well, even if you sometimes get a feeling of that he's showing off during his solos.

Stevie Ray Vaughan -> Feeling when playing, that's seriously awesome

David Gilmour/Roger Waters -> Two words: Pink Floyd.

Jimmy Page -> No explination needed.

Marcel Dadi -> I still wonder how on earth he plays all that with one guitar at one time (no over lapping recording).
Dunno why no one mentioned him?