All the new Opeth fans

i first got into opeth about 7 months ago when i heard all of MAYH, and Orchid after that. I asked my friend who has an opeth shirt to lend me a couple of cd's and those were the ones he lent me. after that i went to best buy and bought everything i found. i bought orchid, BWP, deliverance, and damnation and just this weekend i bought GR. my point who cares when a fan becomes a fan as long as they are a fan that knows their shit and has atleast 3 cd's that they went out and bought (not downloaded, copied, etc. actually cd). i called myself a fan after i bought those first four cds and thats cuz i'm missing still 3 out of the 4 "greatest" opeth cds (still life, MAYH, and morningrise).

Does when you become a fan really determine how big a fan you can become? Can new not be true? That seems ridiculous. That would mean that the truest fans would be in Stockholm, right? That none of us around the world could be as cool as them. Why? Because they were in the right place at the right time? I didn't find Opeth until late. Am I just some bandwagon jumper? No way.

I don't understand why we don't welcome neophytes with open arms here. They at least have proven to have some taste by having an interest in Opeth. Longtime fans ought to be spreading the word, teaching the newbies.

Or is it like Mikael said, that fans hate new records and want to have their favorite bands in their pockets?

speaking of metalcore/hardcore kids, I was at the Sounds of the Underground and there was some kid that actually said Opeth sucks. It was one of my brothers friends, so my brother took his shirt and threw it. But I agree that we Opeth fans should be trying to convert some new fans, you know, spread the good word.

angelofdeath9308 said:
speaking of metalcore/hardcore kids, I was at the Sounds of the Underground and there was some kid that actually said Opeth sucks. It was one of my brothers friends, so my brother took his shirt and threw it. But I agree that we Opeth fans should be trying to convert some new fans, you know, spread the good word.

Good story ;). I'm kind of clueless as to what that has to do with this topic or what someone not liking Opeth has to do with metalcore/hardcore kiddies but I think I will just smile and nod. :Spin:

I love introducing people to Opeth. I have a friend who refused to like metal, and then Pantera weened him into the genre, and extreme metal eventually stole his heart. Opeth being on top of course. Some kids like to hold on to bands for their facade, I know quite a few of them. But in the long run, they don't matter, they'll find some other bandwagon to hop on. The music speaks for itself. I think that it's great people are finally noticing Opeth, whether it be for GR, or Damnation or Orchid for that matter. More fans = more reason to come to the US and tour for those who always had true faith in them.

As for the fan that downloads the albums and claims they are the biggest fan, that's the majority of metal fans nowadays. I proudly own HUNDREDS (if not, thousands) of metal albums, while some kid downloads 4 Gorguts albums and acts like they are a metal god. These people speak for themselves. There will always be those to "worship" the underground, and then move on to other "underground" bands when their old favorites get noticed (Like Opeth did, or is, pick your album). Let the music do the talking! Metal isn't a fashion, dammit!

BlackenedDawn said:
I love introducing people to Opeth. I have a friend who refused to like metal, and then Pantera weened him into the genre, and extreme metal eventually stole his heart. Opeth being on top of course. Some kids like to hold on to bands for their facade, I know quite a few of them. But in the long run, they don't matter, they'll find some other bandwagon to hop on. The music speaks for itself. I think that it's great people are finally noticing Opeth, whether it be for GR, or Damnation or Orchid for that matter. More fans = more reason to come to the US and tour for those who always had true faith in them.

As for the fan that downloads the albums and claims they are the biggest fan, that's the majority of metal fans nowadays. I proudly own HUNDREDS (if not, thousands) of metal albums, while some kid downloads 4 Gorguts albums and acts like they are a metal god. These people speak for themselves. There will always be those to "worship" the underground, and then move on to other "underground" bands when their old favorites get noticed (Like Opeth did, or is, pick your album). Let the music do the talking! Metal isn't a fashion, dammit!

Not that this has anything at all to do with this thread or your post really...but Gorguts are freaking awesome. Luc Lemay is apparently coming back with a new band and is gonna make some new music :D.

As for downloading music. There are hundreds of cds I want but do not have. My cd collection is probably around a hundred or so cds and although I would like more stuff I refuse to download. I like to support the bands I listen too and excessive downloading can get you caught and in trouble with the law too. So I just have to wait until I have the money to buy cds I want rather then illegally download every cd, screwing over the artist, and then call myself a "hardcore" fan. Also, I get cds so that I can really enjoy them and listen to them and don't just have them for the sake of saying I have _____ band's cd which makes me so cool (because doing that is pretty lame).

I have no clue what you mean. What new Opeth fans? I guess you're not talking about America, their music will never be trendy in America.

if their music doesn't change any, you are just a loser if you care if they get more fans.

their new album is amazing

Mumblefood said:
I don't really think so... They were hardly a blip on the radar until BWP's release, and from there it seems to have taken off nearly exponentially with each release. I first heard Opeth around the release of Still Life (which i guess supports your point in a way...), but for a couple years until the release of BWP there was still next to no one to talk to about them (including on the internet). From BWP on, it seemed like they just grew. It's funny to think i used to get so monumentally excited to find another Opeth fan, when now, people who don't even listen to metal have heard the name.

Hey Bumble, remember me? glad to see you still around. we're finally close to releasing the music I sent you like 2 years ago haha

remember this: http://www.gwynbleidd.com/media/gwynbleidd-1-part1.mp3 ??

I've been a fan since Still Life and I own all other Opeth albums except for Orchird and Damnation. Opeth is amazing. This band is just some of the best progressive metal out there. Really powerful. Real beautiful.

I salute all good hearted Opeth fans out there.

Opeth you guys FUCKING ROCK! ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opeth is the kind of music that I stand for. I die for.

Every Opeth fan had to discover this band at some moment. Some discovered them when they realeased their first album, some - when they realeased 'Ghost Reveries'. It's quite natural, some of them didn't have an opportunity toi hear that music, some of them were too young... Also the fact that people who began listening to Opeth a month ago don't know all Opeth albums is quite natural. Wait a moment. Some of them will listen to the rest of album, some of them - disappear...

One more thing: you don't have to be great fan - or 'real fan' - to listen to some band's album. This can be one of the many bands you listen to, just one more album in your collection. It's natural too.

Of course, it's irritating when something thinks that he/she knows everything about some band's music or about music in general after listening to one or two albums...

But - let's give them a time. Let's give them a chance. You shouldn't tell they will always be 'worse' fans only because they began listening to Opeth a bit later than you.

I've been a fan since 2000... first album I heard and that got me into Opeth was My Arms, Your Hearse... been addicted ever since and own every album they've released including Lamentations and the vinyls... I even bought my soon to be wife the Opeth g-string... now if THAT doesn't make me a die-hard fan ;)

I also find it rather annoying with kids who download albums and think they're Opeth-professors... As long as they would at least BUY the actual albums I only see positive things about Opeth getting well deserved attention.

I'm a very recent opeth fan(late Ocotber, early November), but what got me into them was Orchid. I've heard all their albums but my favourites are still Orchid, Deliverance, and Damnation, and hearing Opeth play Under the Weeping Moon and Deliverance live on the 30th of November is probably the high point of my life. And I'm currently convincing my friends to get into them.

soundave said:
Does when you become a fan really determine how big a fan you can become? Can new not be true? That seems ridiculous. That would mean that the truest fans would be in Stockholm, right? That none of us around the world could be as cool as them. Why? Because they were in the right place at the right time? I didn't find Opeth until late. Am I just some bandwagon jumper? No way.

I don't understand why we don't welcome neophytes with open arms here. They at least have proven to have some taste by having an interest in Opeth. Longtime fans ought to be spreading the word, teaching the newbies.

Or is it like Mikael said, that fans hate new records and want to have their favorite bands in their pockets?

Absolutely.

They seem to forget how they started. Because OMG!! I'm soooo tr00 and ev1l!!!!111 This kind of argument tends to be boring after being written 24541254212 million times for some of you guys...

Because we all have been 'newbies' once. It doesn't matter if your parents introduced you, if you started to listen Hair Metal, or if you started liking metal 6 months ago. Don't complain, embrace what you have/like and stop bitching for fuck's sake!
I know I got terribly pissed when someone makes a thread which has been done in the past, but I'm not flaming or insulting everyone in the forum.

Grow some balls or ovaries... ugh.

BRI said:
It's very clear how well RR have promoted Opeth since they signed on, and I do think it's great that Opeth are getting new fans. I'm not one of those people who thinks that their favourite band should be "my special thing that nobody else can enjoy", but it is getting very annoying the amount of people who've gone and bought / downloaded Ghost Reveries and now believe they are hardcore Opeth fans, or even that they are now into extreme music (lol). I shouldn't feel this way but I do, maybe because I cherish Opeth so.
C'mon man. Like you listened to opeth starting with Orchid. Maybe you did and that's really cool. But if not, then you are not an original fan yourself. :tickled:

I first heard Opeth when a member of another message board I'm on talked about the band. So I downloaded Demon of the Fall and In my time of need. Later I bought the Damnation album and have been hooked ever since.

Well, I got Still Life about two months before Ghost Reveries and I thought it was pretty good and then I got Blackwater Park (I had downloaded a couple of songs before and thought they were great and that I had to get into these guys) and then most of their other things. I don't consider myself a hardcore fan, I'm a new fan but I'm definitely not one of those "bandwagon" people because that's just not how I am. And I've known about them since about April or so because somebody I talk to online always talked about them. Anyway..OPETH!