As a metal fan, what other genres do you like that is not heavy metal?

Some ambient, a variety of classical, some rock, and a lot of underground hardcore and metalcore, mostly Massachusetts local. Some mainstream metalcore and hardcore once in a great great while, for fun. Those are the only decen shows around here.

Apart from metal, I enjoy...
Classical
Jazz (primarily free-form jazz without vocals)
Folk
High-quality MIDI video game soundtracks (usually RPG soundtracks)

From Classical I enjoy mostly sonatas
Prog Rock
Jazz Fusion

One of my friends listens to underground hip hop. It is much more bearable than the pop stuff that sounds like it is a commercial skipping and playing the same word/ beat over and over.

I listen to a bit of industrial, metalcore, and a tiny bit of hardcore.

I also listen to Classical, Gregorian, old hip-hop (2pac, Dre Eazy-e etc) and traditional Celtic stuff.

edit: And I hate pretty much anything mainstream, cos to me it all sounds the same!

besides heavy/power metal...

Black, Melodic Black, Death, Melodic Death, Folk, Viking, Pagan, and Industrial metal.
Neofolk is great
Underground Hip-Hop (I don't mind some mainstream stuff, but I really hate rnb club-rap/Neptunes/Dipset/etc.)
a little Classical
And some random rock like Alice in Chains/Acid Bath, and the old guitarist instrumental shit.

Progressive and Power Metal are my preferred genres of metal, but I generally am open to the Extreme Metal stuff too.

And besides Metal, I absolutely love Classical Music, Soft and Hard Rock. I also like some Pop artists like Kelly Clarkson and Shakira, but I can't stand others like Christina Aguilera or Britney Spears.

Rap is also something I can't really like. It takes talent to Rap, but I don't find it musical, just a talent like juggling, ventrilioquism, etc., if you know what I mean.

anbhás;6000363 said:
edit: And I hate pretty much anything mainstream, cos to me it all sounds the same!

thats kinda what the mainstream says about metal....just making note of that.

fuck em, though.

people need to stop saying mainstream, for fuck's sake judas priest, iron maiden, slayer, metallica, cannibal corpse, opeth, led zeppelin, pink floyd, etc... etc... are all mainstream

what they are referring to is modern pop music

people need to stop saying mainstream, for fuck's sake judas priest, iron maiden, slayer, metallica, cannibal corpse, opeth, led zeppelin, pink floyd, etc... etc... are all mainstream

what they are referring to is modern pop music

compared to an act like say, Panic! At The Disco, they aren't mainstream.

Modern pop music is always much bigger than mainstream metal. There are really three levels of popularity, not just 2. Everyone either says that a band or whatever is either underground or mainstream, but they should really be more specific. I always say mainstream for Justin Timberlake and whatever, sidestream for say Slayer or Pink Floyd, and underground for extreme metal or underground rap or whatever, the stuff that few people have ever heard of.