Coronavirus Themed Mixtape Game

Why insult yourself like that? He gave huge ratings to songs he also said were about half good half bad. Pretty funny.

I don't see what's so contradictory about his blurbs? They make sense to me. Having one or two niggles about a song doesn't make it "half good, half bad".

lol the Gammacide song is much more generic. I probably like it as much as the Evile song (5/10 territory) but there's nothing really distinctive about it. Totally regular thrash except for the blasting section in the middle (which is still par the course on its own merits).

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
A little blasting =/= death metal. The main riff is pure 1986, and the tremolo picked part is as basic as you can get in the style. It's more "brutal crossover" which was nothing special in 1989. Like, take any ordinary fast thrash song and plop DRI's A Coffin in the middle of it, and you've got that Gammacide song.

The Evile song at least relies less on power chords, and its mid-tempo-ness is more distinct basically by definition. It's still like a 6/10 in terms of distinctiveness, but Gammacide's is like a 3/10. It sounds like Contradictions Collapse-era Meshuggah minus the technical rhythms.

A little blasting =/= death metal.
oh yes, the blastbeats are the only reason i said it verges on death metal, and not the pummeling brutality and heaviness of the whole damn song. lmao, amazing.

and its mid-tempo-ness is more distinct basically by definition.
shows how clueless you truly are when it comes to thrash. I guess anthrax and exodus arent generic but Demolition Hammer are, amirite????

"brutal crossover" which was nothing special in 1989. Like, take any ordinary fast thrash song and plop DRI's A Coffin in the middle of it, and you've got that Gammacide song.

Lmfao. There is zero DRI influence or even similarities in that song. Literally none. Once again showcases that you really belong nowhere near this conversation.

Anthrax and Exodus were easily more original than Demolition Hammer and you'd have to be retarded to think otherwise.

Also

http://texasmetalunderground.com/interviews/gammacide/gammacide.htm

Rick Perry: Well, it was kind of weird because we thought nothing of playing songs by both Venom and Motley Crue. Plasmatics or Aerosmith, it didn’t matter to us. So our originals were along the same line, you know. We had party-type rock songs as well as Priest-influenced power metal songs. But I always leaned toward the heavier material. The turning point was when we went down to Austin to see Slayer at Liberty Lunch. The crowd was so intense, and Slayer was so brutal and uncompromising that it changed my whole outlook. Around this time the S.O.D. record came out, and that was so heavy and strong that it made us look into the hardcore punk scene. So we started hanging out at punk clubs in Dallas like the Circle A Ranch and Theater Gallery. We saw D.R.I. and The Offenders and that stuff started influencing our music. By this time Rigor Mortis had formed, they were a trio originally with Casey singing. The first heavy metal show at a Dallas punk club was Warlock and Rigor Mortis at Circle A Ranch. As you noticed Warlock was heavier by this time, we were basically power metal bordering on thrash. I thought we were way stronger as a band by this point, but Jerry wasn’t entirely happy about it. His tastes were more to the sleazy, cock-rock type stuff.

The crossover influence on Gammacide is pretty obvious.

So what? Most thrash bands were also influenced by punk. I guess that means their music also sounded like "crossover/DRI ", amirite? :lol: fucking idiot. And what does that have to do with the song in question? That Gammacide song has ZERO crossover. Your initial DRI statement is quite possibly the most retarded thing ive heard this year so far. Nobody with a working set of ears would ever say such a thing.

And as far as saying theres no death metal there , here are numerous statement from numerous reviews on MA ....

"If you're a fan of both thrash metal and death metal, it's mandatory for you to listen to this"

"The overall production is thick, though a tad on the muddy side-the album has a distinct death metal sound."

"something that few thrash bands were doing at that time, especially in the USA (where death metal was the new thing and thrash was losing its intensity) - BLAST BEATS!"

"The guitars are insanely heavy. With a little more distortion they could easily be confused with a death metal production. The drums are insane, the way they sound and how they are played. The snare sounds awesome and the bass drum is loud throughout. The bass is kind of low but you can still hear it a lot of the time."

"This Texas horde had a simple mission in their existence, to annihilate your brain with nothing but straight ahead thrash metal with distinct death metal overtones.
"

Hmmm, i wonder how many people in that review section mentioned the clear "crossover/DRI sound" that album has. :lol:

The Gammacide doesn't sound like death metal at all though. Basic four-note chromatic tremolo picked riffs are very common in crossover thrash, like the DRI song I named.

Holy Terror - Black Plague

Good riffs, good vocals, thrashes hard. 8/10

Diskord - Rambling Words from a Sore Throat

Ended better than it started, probably the sort of thing that'd take at least a few listens to click (or not) with me. Decent though. 6.5/10

Bloodbath - Draped in Disease

Yeah not a fan. The melodic solo was nice but otherwise pretty average track. 5/10

Dawn - Ride the Wings of Pestilence

I fucking loved this band/album when I was a teenager. Never found this to be amongst the best songs on the album and yeah it's nearly 4 minutes too long and needlessly repetitive. 6.5/10

Voivod - Bacteria

Liking this a lot more than I did back when we did the ranking game. Will definitely further investigate. 8/10

Evile - Plague to End All Plagues

Some decent riffs but the vocals aren't good and I was pretty bored by the 2 minute mark. 4/10

Gammacide - Walking Plague

Haven't heard this in at least a decade. Never was able to find a copy back when I was looking. Rules. 8/10

Crimson Glory - Masque of the Red Death

Far and away my favourite thing here. Should've kept the vinyl. :( 10/10

Peste Noire - Des Medecins Malades Et Des Saint Sequestres

I didn't like this back when it came out after endlessly hyping the demo tape to friends. Most of this sounds hilariously bad now, borderline embarrassing. I still have the Macabre Transcendance tape somewhere, anyone want it? 2/10

Why insult yourself like that? He gave huge ratings to songs he also said were about half good half bad. Pretty funny.

I don't see what's so contradictory about his blurbs? They make sense to me. Having one or two niggles about a song doesn't make it "half good, half bad".

Pretty much what Vegard said. Would you rather I do a Burkhard review? "Awesome riffs, but don't like the vocals. Therefore, 2/10".

Reactions: SonOfNun
Pretty much what Vegard said. Would you rather I do a Burkhard review? "Awesome riffs, but don't like the vocals. Therefore, 2/10".

No that'd be retarded just in the other direction. I just found it amusing you said this about a song you gave an 8.5/10:
I find Slaughtersun maddening - it's full of incredible riffs but I don't really like the production much, particularly the vocals which are abrasively high in the mix, and it's over-long.

Or this a 7.5/10:
The slow sections are genuinely creepy. The faster sections and vocals... meh.

Just reminds me of those video game journalists who review a game, basically say it's a mixed bag, and then give it a high rating. :D

No that'd be retarded just in the other direction. I just found it amusing you said this about a song you gave an 8.5/10:

Or this a 7.5/10:

Just reminds me of those video game journalists who review a game, basically say it's a mixed bag, and then give it a high rating. :D

I dont understand why this is a difficult concept to understand. Vocals are rarely make or break for me, particularly for extreme metal. I give much greater weighting to riffcraft and I can and do listen to plenty of albums where I'm not a big fan of the vocals.

I dont understand why this is a difficult concept to understand. Vocals are rarely make or break for me, particularly for extreme metal. I give much greater weighting to riffcraft and I can and do listen to plenty of albums where I'm not a big fan of the vocals.

Vocals, pacing, "fast parts" and the overall production of an album. Not sure why you're pretending like you only had some small insignificant complaints about songs you gave big ratings to. Maybe I'm just a weirdo here but I'd never give an 8.5/10 to a song I thought had bad vocal mixing, crap production and bad pacing.

Anyways not a big deal just busting your balls little fella.