DEVIL DRIVER

so has anyone heard the new album? I got a promo copy and I'm listening to it now...not sure what I think yet.

Andy, did you reamp the guitars? If so, what did you use?

so has anyone heard the new album? I got a promo copy and I'm listening to it now...not sure what I think yet.

Andy, did you reamp the guitars? If so, what did you use?

i've got a copy. really good album i think, strong songs, great riffs all over the place, vox get a bit samey but thats no different to their other albums.
Mix is typical sneap: crisp, clean and crushing.
Guitar tone on start of Clouds over california sound really awesome, kinda like they have a touch of choras on em?
Personally i find the kicks a touch loud and guitars maybe a touch quiet but i've felt that way about a couple of andy's recent mixes (despised icon being another one) so i guess thats just what he's digging at the mo.
Could be that it's not a final master tho as a few promo's i've had recently havent been fully mastered yet (way to try and stop advance leaking online i guess).

I was thinking the same thing about the guitars being a little quiet, I love everything else though...and if this is unmastered, then the guitars will surely come up in the mix more in the final master

i would have liked a bit more black stuff in their playing , and a little more atmoshpere. i dont like the mix :( especially the drums , guitars and voice are bit too quiet for my taste or for this band. and on the last part, the chill one with the organ/hammond sounds the kick and the snare sound pretty ridicolous with no atmosphere whatsoever, kinda ruins the feeling.
devildriver sounds now like a pretty standard "modern" band . i dont really like standard, they had somth different on fury.
cheers

i would have liked a bit more black stuff in their playing , and a little more atmoshpere. i dont like the mix :( especially the drums , guitars and voice are bit too quiet for my taste or for this band. and on the last part, the chill one with the organ/hammond sounds the kick and the snare sound pretty ridicolous with no atmosphere whatsoever, kinda ruins the feeling.
devildriver sounds now like a pretty standard "modern" band . i dont really like standard, they had somth different on fury.
cheers

funny, the ending of that song is my favorite moment of the entire album. I think it sounds fantastic. I'm hearing plenty of atmosphere on the drums.

This album has to be one of the best sounding Sneap mixes I've heard. The guitar tone slays.

I tracked the devildriver with suecof guys. I engineered the drums with jay and then i tracked all the guitars myself, then jay and i splitting bass duties as well. He tracked the vox.

I used a recto and 5150 with a tubescreamer through a mesa cab and a 87' les paul standard with emgs. Andy actually quite liked the guitar tones (or so he tells me, hehe) and decided only to reamp the 5150 tracks. So the rectifier tracks are the original we printed, which i was quite stoked about. The kick and snare are andys and the toms are ours. I consider the kick and snare fairly close to ours, but obviously with quite a bit of andys flavor. I really dig the mix and think the songs are fucking killer.

One of my favorite albums i've ever engineered.

Hope this helps guys.

Good job on the gtrs, by far the best I've heard you do.
With regards the drums, toms were good, but the kick snare..... what can I say, Jason get some good weed in Texas?

I tracked the devildriver with suecof guys. I engineered the drums with jay and then i tracked all the guitars myself, then jay and i splitting bass duties as well. He tracked the vox.

hell yeah andy this time is happy eheh
Great fucking tone Mark!!!
Anyway I still remember andy complaining about you not using emperor skins on the kick ;) it was one of the projects you gave him to mix (can't remember)! well if this time Sneap is happy I think that is huge compliment :headbang: :headbang:
again: great fucking album, both music and production wise, you guys rule!!

Glad you guys dig it! See now, i really dug the kick we had on the record. The snare was actually somethin i ended up not being stoked on once we had everything tracked. Although, at the time everyone loved it haha. Oh well! Hindsight is always 20/20.

i think we best just forget about that snare, keep quiet, no one will ever know.

By the way, the Emporer skin thing was on Triviums ascendency, where I aked Suecof, not Mark, to use them. He knew better and used Ambassadors....which is why the toms are triggered on that record.

i think we best just forget about that snare, keep quiet, no one will ever know.

By the way, the Emporer skin thing was on Triviums ascendency, where I aked Suecof, not Mark, to use them. He knew better and used Ambassadors....which is why the toms are triggered on that record.

HA! Yes...i dont do sessions without the emps. Ambassadors on bottom though always. Its always good to have the mixer not hate you for a few months...