disrespect towards metal

I'm very lucky. My girlfriend loves Metal (she even likes my more extreme tastes, which is fantastic) and my mum tolerates it (and my step dad just plays his own music louder to cover it up - thank goodness for headphones).

Thing is, my friends hate Metal. They hate me having long hair. They think my singing is ridiculous. And I really don't care that much, because I just shrug or laugh. We all have our own tastes, after all.

I KNOW I have an awful taste in music. I'll readily admit that. I know Sunn 0))) is nearly pure noise, and that the vocals of Cliteater are over the top and impossible to understand. I know that, I accept that, and I don't care. It's just great fun, which is all that matters.

Laugh all you like at my musical tastes. Just don't bitch and whine when I laugh back (such as saying U2 play basically the same song over and over again in every single one of their albums - oh noes, I didn't go there did I?!?!).

But I take offense to people insulting my hair. I don't point and laugh at every single stupid trendy hairstyle I see (mostly because I'd die of suffocation due to the sheer stupidity of it). At least my style is natural and not styled into a cone shape.

And yes, I smell. I smell of pure man, not of pussy. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but I really can't be bothered to cover myself in cheap perfume. At least I have fresh breath.

(Oh, and if no-one gets it, I'm not directing it at anyone. It's all just an example of what I would say to people.)

My neighbours love my music, they have no choice if they turn there nose up and look away, i turn my music up and keep looking.
"I don't mind other people listening to my music":lol:

your hair, well your hair shows who you are, its your strength, your power:headbang: "get rid, you become a norm":saint:

the manly bit, dude there's nothing manly about a smelly git, its all about respect, even metal heads have respect for themselves, put some lynx on, when you talk about perfume your making it look like all metal heads who wear a deodorant bodysprays are all poofs, mate it shows you have some respect for yourself, show some respect, shows your not a long hair smelly git.

people will always judge a book by its cover, so untill you can make them read the book, you will always be a cover.:kickass::headbang:

cheers :kickass: maiden1

The smelly comment was somewhat sarcastic, to be honest. I wash and I use sprays (Lynx, infact). I just don't coat myself in it like some of my friends. And I don't use aftershave unless I actually cut myself, and even then I only use enough to stop the bleeding.

:)

@CaGeD In:
You say: Does metal make me angry? no, but disrespect to me and the genre does.

In the following mails this thread you show how disrespectful you are to people who do not like metal ... it is always a two-way-road. Relax.
I can imagine within the family and especially parents it is hard. Respect their standpoint, don´t say "fuck God". You might have a better basis to find a good solution together.

lol yea my friends allways talk trash about the music i like, theyre like "anybody can scream" and they like all that emo shit.
i dont really get offended by it cus we usually trash each others music.
as for my parents there really nice about it, theyll joke around about it a lot
like my dad will walk in my room and jus start sceamin

Your Dad is really cool,nice vocalist!!!:headbang:

My parents hate this kinda music,because they thought it would disturb my study and harm my ear ,for when I studied,I used to listen my MP3 player,very loudly.

I never talk to non-metal-listenners.Like Cold GIN saying,this is two-way-road.I don't dispice any other kinda music(expecially for some really crappy pops).If everyone knows that,there aren't so much "oral" fight.

But I hate those people who disrespect the metalhead and metal music.They are shitty.They don't know the meaning of respect.My advice is cut their thoat by whatever you could get.

It's already been touched on this thread, but it's always annoyed me that metal fans bash the shit out of metal bands!

I was reading a post last week that said,"The new Nile album sucks" and the next post read "Nile has always sucked", etc.

If anyone knew how much work it takes to be in a band, much less make a living playing extreme metal, they'd just be grateful these bands are around and touring.

Everyone should be happy there are bands like this around, or we'd be listening to Maroon 5 all day! :cry:

As Bon Scott said, "I tell ya folks, it's harder than it looks" :zombie: :headbang: :kickass:

People who say bad things about metal obviously have no idea what they're talking about; that's like saying bad things about all music collectively. Things that apply to brutal death metal don't apply to, say, doom metal, glam metal (which isn't really metal), folk metal, or Christian metal And vice versa.

BTW, I've had the same sort of problem with my parents. I recommend listening to extreme metal with unintelligible lyrics, then telling them it's all about accepting Jesus as your savior or some shit like that. If that doesn't work, behead them in a bathtub full of goat's urine.
\m/

I've actually been known to revell in the anti-Metal opinions of others. It just makes me feel far superior to them. Let them say 'OMG, that isn't music!' Really, it's quite amusing.

Because in the end, if they insult my music and I leave their music alone that makes me the more accepting and nicer person. And I love that feeling more then any petty insults I could say about popular music.

And yeah, it irritates me when Metalheads insult Metal. My opinion is if you don't like that particular band (and there are alot I don't like) then simply don't listen to them. It's not like you're going to be forced to listen to it whenever you go outside.

Unlike popular music.

I think it's silly to make that statement to be honest. This is a forum for discussing metal and the thing to do to bands you don't like is explain why they are bad, which is basically insulting them. It's not like we have to unite and fight the nonmetal music scene or something.