Iconoclast: News/Info Thread

I agree with both of you! I've listened to each new song once and I'll reserve judgement until I hear
the actual CD. These songs might not even be on the final release. Symphony X just might be trying
to gage fan reaction and then surprise us all. We know they have great senses of humor.

They also did said that they choose the fastest/heaviest/more-suited-to-concert songs to play.

And there could always be differences between the live version and the studio version.

I do agree with you guys though :wave:It as to sound good, not just service to prog-heads.

Too get some positive speculation going:

I've been thinking about how Paradise Lost had some references to Divine Wings on it, and thinking (maybe) that this album could have some references to V. It's dealing with technology, and a lot of the story on V was about a civilization with advanced technology coming to an end. And the themes of how future civilizations are really just rediscovering everything they had already done, I wouldn't be surprised if the band threw in some references musically or lyrically to that album.

"The question lies between the lines: can we change?"

LOL. Man what happened to the days of just cranking a song at maximum volume, throwing your fists in the air, and headbanging?

Oh thats right the "tech" age came along where some people just can't enjoy anything anymore. Everything has to be picked apart, analyzed, and dissected. This is my biggest beef with anything labeled "progressive". These fans just can't enjoy music the way its meant to be enjoyed. Waaa this lyric sucks. waaa this solo is boring, waaa waaa waaa!

I just want to hear some kick ass METAL, and these 2 new songs deliver just that! Fuck the naysayers!

It has nothing to do with any "tech" age; I'm simply a detail-oriented person. Analysis and dissection is what I do. And that doesn't mean I can't enjoy songs as a whole, either. I really don't appreciate the assumptions; if you don't want to read it, don't.

SX2.jpg

Haha look at Pinnella's awesome sneakers! Dig the photos, btw.

I've been thinking about how Paradise Lost had some references to Divine Wings on it, and thinking (maybe) that this album could have some references to V. It's dealing with technology, and a lot of the story on V was about a civilization with advanced technology coming to and end. And the themes of how future civilizations are really just rediscovering everything they had already done, I wouldn't be surprised if the band threw in some references musically or lyrically to that album.

That would be really interesting! If you ask me, the first string line in End of Innocence sounds very V-like. Can't wait to hear this stuff on the album!

LOL. Man what happened to the days of just cranking a song at maximum volume, throwing your fists in the air, and headbanging?

Got some news for ya: Some music is not JUST for headbanging/rocking on to. I could for instance sit with a fellow V admirer and discuss the album's music and theme for hours.

The "tech age" thing is true, but irrelevant to the post you were addressing.

Got some news for ya: Some music is not JUST for headbanging/rocking on to. I could for instance sit with a fellow V admirer and discuss the album's music and theme for hours.

The "tech age" thing is true, but irrelevant to the post you were addressing.

This is why I brought up the "progressive" music community. Would you guys sit around and write a 5 page essay on "V" afterwards? Just turn it up and rock the fuck out. Thats like the prog nerds at concerts who stand at the show with their arms folded trying to dissect the shit. Get your fucking fist in the air, scream like a motherfucker and enjoy!

You think years ago people were sitting around and dissecting the music and lyrics to songs like "Hell Bent for Leather", "rock you like a hurricane" "Toxic Waltz" or "Angel Of Death"? OMG did you hear that time signature in Angel Of Death OMG OMG 111!!! LOMBARDI IS A MATH GENIUS!!! FTW!11!!!! (Sarcasm)

Lyrics have always been a cheese fest in Metal. Whether you have the death/black screaming about sacrifice and mephistopheles, or power metal screeching about swords, and dragons, or Hair Metal where they sing about parties, and sex...and etc etc. To me its about THE ENERGY, THE RIFF, THE PRODUCTION, and THE MELODY. The rest is just all added bonus after that. If the song has meaning and is thought provoking good..if not as long as my ass is kicked I do not care!

I can't really agree with Metal Madman. I have never been the type who just turns it up and headbangs even though I love headbanging.

For me music has to be intelligent, has to be complex or I just don't feel anything. It also has to been emotionally powerful. I guess what I mean is a song has to be emotionally intelligent if this is even possible at all. This is why I like Symphony X and not Manowar.

And I definitely don't like tech stuff. I hate mathematical sounding prog metal, hell I don't even like prog metal that much as a music style. I like bands that create complex atmospheres and beautiful stuff, but not tech. That is another reason why I don't like plain shredding. When I hear Michael doing some basic shredding stuff on Iconoclast I can't stand it..

I need legato and string skipped arpeggios, and that little whiny thing he does way too much. ROMEO!:yell:

I guess the difference is that I and many of us strive for very creative music. I don't think math metal and tech is creative, just as a mathematically piece of artwork isn't really creative. Symphony X, pre PL, have been a really creative band and Romeo's guitar the same. To see that change, is a big deal for those who don't listen to music just to rock out.

I can't really agree with Metal Madman. I have never been the type who just turns it up and headbangs even though I love headbanging.

For me music has to be intelligent, has to be complex or I just don't feel anything. It also has to been emotionally powerful. I guess what I mean is a song has to be emotionally intelligent if this is even possible at all. This is why I like Symphony X and not Manowar.

And I definitely don't like tech stuff. I hate mathematical sounding prog metal, hell I don't even like prog metal that much as a music style. I like bands that create complex atmospheres and beautiful stuff, but not tech. That is another reason why I don't like plain shredding. When I hear Michael doing some basic shredding stuff on Iconoclast I can't stand it..

I need legato and string skipped arpeggios, and that little whiny thing he does way too much. ROMEO!:yell:

I guess the difference is that I and many of us strive for very creative music. I don't think math metal and tech is creative, just as a mathematically piece of artwork isn't really creative. Symphony X, pre PL, have been a really creative band and Romeo's guitar the same. To see that change, is a big deal for those who don't listen to music just to rock out.

Your opinion is respected, and I agree on some things. I don't mind talking about a song, or a song structure, lyrics and stuff.....I was being sarcastic at times. Its when the stuff is so dissected, and ripped to pieces that I think you start losing the enjoyment of the music. I appreciate musicians who learn their craft/instrument to high standards, but I also do not mind someone who can rip out flesh melting basic chords as well. To me its all in the delivery, and the melody.

Thats like the prog nerds at concerts who stand at the show with their arms folded trying to dissect the shit.

What about standing, arms folded, eyes closed and rolled back in sheer ecstasy, too preoccupied by musical goodness to do anything else? Now that's a concert.

Your opinion is respected, and I agree on some things. I don't mind talking about a song, or a song structure, lyrics and stuff.....I was being sarcastic at times. Its when the stuff is so dissected, and ripped to pieces that I think you start losing the enjoyment of the music. I appreciate musicians who learn their craft/instrument to high standards, but I also do not mind someone who can rip out flesh melting basic chords as well. To me its all in the delivery, and the melody.

Hey I see what you're saying. : ) I agree man for sure. I also don't like it when stuff is too dissected lol. It's no longer music!

What about standing, arms folded, eyes closed and rolled back in sheer ecstasy, too preoccupied by musical goodness to do anything else? Now that's a concert.

Nothing wrong with that man, I think everyone enjoys music differently and it depends on your personality. I am not the type to freak out and head bang I am more introverted so I am likely to be just standing enjoying music. I would rather sit and watch music for the most part. As far as Romeo's guitar solos go I think they need to be focused on to get the most out of them.

^ This.

:lol: @MJR