Iconoclast: News/Info Thread

Imo Dehumanized is more like something from the Odyssey + I don't really get the joke about it not being 'prog enough' unless you have some kind of a personal definition of prog.

There's plenty of keys in the new songs, but no keyboard solo. Seems like no solo = no keys for most people complaining about it. In case you haven't noticed, solos have a meaning in the compositions of this particular band and especially the keyboardist has a great sense of style in that aspect.

It's actually one of the reasons why I like the band - virtuosity stays in the compositions and is not scattered in blobs of meaningless wankery. I pretty much hate keyboard solos, but I think Pinnellas solos are awesome and fit any songs mood flawlessly.

I've always felt that the songs where keyboard solos seem to show up are the one's that are telling more of a story, from point A to point B, rather than a song that really is just focusing on a mood or idea. The synth tone that Pinnella uses really seems to evoke this kind of "journey" feeling. Song like The Odyssey, lots of places in V, The Accolades, etc. Most of the tracks on Paradise Lost were really just focused around ideas (lust, seduction, betrayal), so they really didn't tell a story. Unfortunately, I tend to find the storytelling type songs better from Symphony X, they really take you on a journey.

I've always felt that the songs where keyboard solos seem to show up are the one's that are telling more of a story, from point A to point B, rather than a song that really is just focusing on a mood or idea. The synth tone that Pinnella uses really seems to evoke this kind of "journey" feeling. Song like The Odyssey, lots of places in V, The Accolades, etc. Most of the tracks on Paradise Lost were really just focused around ideas (lust, seduction, betrayal), so they really didn't tell a story. Unfortunately, I tend to find the storytelling type songs better from Symphony X, they really take you on a journey.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me.

You make perfect sense. While I don't usually care for keyboard solos, Symphony X and Michael Pinnella get them right. They fit well in their songs and are very tastefully done. I enjoy songs that tell a story as well. Also, which certain Symphony X CD we may like more or what style we think it fits into, the level
of musicianship displayed on each is consistent.

This actually does make sense; I've never looked at it this way before! I also think P's solo tone is very tasteful, although I'm not sure why - perhaps it's a bit more organic than the typical keyboard solo patch?

SymphonyX_POM2011_08.jpg

:lol:

So, I am still waiting for this crazy, world shattering news from Glenn. He calls this a surprise? Anyway, the new album cover (I am hoping) kicks ass! It's their best since V. I definetely want a t shirt of that! As for the new songs, meh. Russ has a fantastic voice but it sounded like same old same old to me but I am impossible to please. My only hope is that this new album flows well. Maybe a bunch of decent songs stringed together will make a pretty good album.

I don't think Glenn was stating that there is going to be a HUGE surprise or anything like that. I think he was saying that we may be surprised at some of the direction the music will be heading on this album... one of those "oh, cool" moments. World shattering... probably not.
If I am wrong, please correct me, Glenn. :)

I don't think Glenn was stating that there is going to be a HUGE surprise or anything like that. I think he was saying that we may be surprised at some of the direction the music will be heading on this album... one of those "oh, cool" moments. World shattering... probably not.
If I am wrong, please correct me, Glenn. :)

I believe a bit of both would be true. There will be suprises in both manners that will further conversations on many fronts. Allowing yourself to be surprised is the key. For example, I have to applaud anyone taking the stance of avoiding the new songs in an effort to keep that untainted, for lack of a more appropriate word, experience reserved for when the cd is in their hands. I know those numbers are few, but it's cool.

As for those of you who are questing to hear it right away, I can only hope that the things that have been posted so far have met with your approval and will also continue to build toward your anticipation of owning the cd as well.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...but we're still fans in the end.

I too have to applaud it. And so far from what i've seen from the reaction to the two songs that we have heard. Is an uproar of symphony x fans, who are extremely excited for the upcoming album. I honestly have seen very 'little' negative talk about the new songs. My anticipation has perhaps tripled since I started this thread. Like we mentioned in an other thread, promotion is key. We as fans have started a freight train, and broke the breaks... Whether or not when we crash at the end is a different story lol.

It's been a hard journey for me, I want updates, but I was worried about not liking the new album. I wanted to keep myself in the dark (from hearing the music). But I feel as though the lack of nuclear blast/current site updates was making the skies gray. I'm just happy to have made the sun come back. Not me single handedly of course, its everyone on this forums, has contributed to something pretty amazing. I take my hat off to you guys.

On the surprise front, can't wait to see what you mean Glenn! Its nice to see such a lively forum again, of people eagerly awaiting Symphony X's/Nuclear Blasts, next big move. Which i'm assuming is an official reveal of the artwork/track list/release date. And hopefully within that, some surprises we didn't see coming.

Based on the two new songs I've heard, this album will kick ultimate ass. I really hope that Lepond's bass is as audible as it was on Paradise Lost, though, since when I first popped that CD in and track 3 started I was blown out of the water by that silky sexy buttery smooth tone (Babylon before the verse and the Seven bass solo rocked my bass-loving ass off too). Anyway I love how the new songs have so much energy! I want to hear Heretic!

The thing I love so much about this band (and I can't stress it enough) is that all their instruments blend so well together, it's as if they're all 20% of the band (excluding PL, where P was 5% and MJR was 35%). It's like an actual orchestra. They should play with an orchestra. Wouldn't it be funny if they played with a 120-piece symphony and their setlist was:

Of Sins and Shadows
Out of the Ashes
Medusa
Smoke and Mirrors
Inferno
Wicked
Incantations
King of Terrors
Paradise Lost (full album, minus Oculus, the title track, Sacrifice, and Revelation)

No I kid, the glass is half full.

So any guesses on how many tracks Iconoclast will have? I'm guessing 9 or 10.

Take control, and resurrect my soul!

Based on the two new songs I've heard, this album will kick ultimate ass. I really hope that Lepond's bass is as audible as it was on Paradise Lost, though, since when I first popped that CD in and track 3 started I was blown out of the water by that silky sexy buttery smooth tone (Babylon before the verse and the Seven bass solo rocked my bass-loving ass off too). Anyway I love how the new songs have so much energy! I want to hear Heretic!

The thing I love so much about this band (and I can't stress it enough) is that all their instruments blend so well together, it's as if they're all 20% of the band (excluding PL, where P was 5% and MJR was 35%). It's like an actual orchestra. They should play with an orchestra. Wouldn't it be funny if they played with a 120-piece symphony and their setlist was:

Of Sins and Shadows
Out of the Ashes
Medusa
Smoke and Mirrors
Inferno
Wicked
Incantations
King of Terrors
Paradise Lost (full album, minus Oculus, the title track, Sacrifice, and Revelation)

No I kid, the glass is half full.

So any guesses on how many tracks Iconoclast will have? I'm guessing 9 or 10.

Take control, and resurrect my soul!

So wait, you're going to have Symphony X play with a 120 piece orchestra and NOT include the Odyssey??!?

I guess you missed the part where he said "wouldn't it be funny if..."

And about the Odyssey, i would actually settle for it to be re-recorded with an actual orchestra.
Majestic.

Did the "big nuclear blast announcement" ever happen this week? I suppose there's still tomorrow, but if not, I guess it wasn't about Symphony X.