In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

I think the problem is that Anders is confusing improving with doing clean vocals. If he wants to improve his singing he should take classes, that is what every other singers do when they want to get better.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/in-flames/2014/klub-studio-krakow-poland-1bcf7da8.html

GODDAMMIT NO SIREN CHARMS, FUCK and what is resin? now i have to listen to it, i don't know it by name, i suck!

oh well, i'M hyped for tomorrooow! \o/ no alias either though : (

edit: aaahh, it's a nice song. still disappointed they pick songs like this instead of Colony/Jotun/Embody/Moonshield/Zombie/Ep666/etc but at least it's not like The Hive. I'm really not digging that one.

Don't like WTDSD either but hey, WEWO!!!!

edit 2: wtf no take this life, in fact nothing from CC or STYE. ok, i'll stop editing.

Colony album. Terrible setlist. I hope that, at least, people would have comfortable chairs to listen to the show. Also, I can't believe they're playing resin. What does it have to do with the rest of the songs?

Someone added Take this life. Just when people starts to feel comfortable on their chairs they force them to stand up and start to bang their heads.

I might point: 19 songs, 11 from the last two albums. I hope some day people will start to talk about old IF till ASOP and new IF from SOAPF.

The Chosen Pessimist :D the worst live song ever. In Flames are fucking idiots.

As for Resin... OK. Interesting, but there are plenty of better songs they could play from that period.

Albums covered on that setlist:

LS: 0
TJR: 0
Whoracle: 0
Colony: 1
Clayman: 1
Reroute: 2
STYE: 0
Come Clarity: 1
ASOP: 3
SOAPF: 4
Siren Charms: 7

So yeah, it's up there with the worst setlists they've ever had. I wouldn't be caught dead at a show with that setlist.

Only surprise for me is literally nothing from STYE, not even The Quiet Place or My Sweet Shadow...

And still there might be someone out there saying that they don't alienate their old fans.

I might put here a quote from Corey Taylor, it's about how different can be the aproaching from bands to their fans.

And I think because of that, we were able to come together as a band and as a team again, and really do something cool—not just for ourselves, but for our fans, because the fans have been gagging for this for a long time.

Edit: this setlist doesn't worth 40 €. Also, someone added:

Paralyzed
(with a fan invited to sing 'Dead Eyes' on stage with the band)

Or someone mistook one song for the other or we should add a 8th song from SC.

Omfg the mirror's truth what have i done. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, i won't hear MSS or System because of that? grr

Yeah, as a first timer I don't have much to complain for, it should deliver (somewhat afraid of TCP), but if I had been to numerous IF shows before, it'd be easy to see how it's disappointing.

TCP is an awful live song. I had to suffer through it in 2008 and trust me, it's painful. I can think of no reason to play it live.

It's ironic that they talk about the crowd not moving and having no energy for the older songs, then they play an EIGHT MINUTE song which has no energy and leaves everybody standing around, staring at the stage waiting for something to happen. It smacks of arrogance.

Omfg the mirror's truth what have i done. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, i won't hear MSS or System because of that? grr

Yeah, as a first timer I don't have much to complain for, it should deliver (somewhat afraid of TCP), but if I had been to numerous IF shows before, it'd be easy to see how it's disappointing.

Don't worry. They usually change some songs between shows.

And still there might be someone out there saying that they don't alienate their old fans.

I might put here a quote from Corey Taylor, it's about how different can be the aproaching from bands to their fans.

Edit: this setlist doesn't worth 40 €. Also, someone added:

Or someone mistook one song for the other or we should add a 8th song from SC.
You seem to be at least a year late with this. Checking out some of their latest shows' (2013 I think) setlist, it was already alienating in songs selection. It's the same shit all over again, but instead of the hive now we get resin.

Btw, snippet from a hungarian interview regarding the question why won't they rotate more older songs into the setlist: [VERY rough translation, I really don't have time for a proper one now]: "To be honest, it doesn't really worth for us to play old songs, because those who loved those albums or even recognize those songs and would be happy to hear them are long gone from our shows, they don't care about what we've been doing recently/nowadays [this should mean since R2R]. Most of the attendants are youngsters who don't know our earlier material so they eager to hear the newer ones. Thus it's very hard to make the setlist. Especially if we add that back then we were not composing songs with the live settings in mind [omg does that mean if do care about fans now? no, can't be, they are the devils], we just added a guitar line one after another. This puts us in a tough position in our shows because our goal is to give back the songs in album, or in even better quality. But these older tracks are pretty hard to put into a live setting properly, so this is one of the reasons why we don't really play them. In the current show however we have a couple of songs we have not played since years, so the show might e interesting for those who are interested in older tracks. [i guess he means songs like trigger? not sure, you'll know better]"

It's a really interesting interview, I read many things I haven't heard before . and I checked a lot of interviews recently, but it's long as fuck so sorry (especially if I'd want a not so lazy translation, without "those" appearing 20 times in the same sentence). I'll update you on my live experience, even though I just want to enjoy myself and not going there to find some authentic MDM and inaudible vocals so my review will most probably useless for you :p

It's the same shit they always say. The stuff about translating the old songs into a live setting is utter BS. They managed it just fine in the past, it's nothing but an excuse and if they're so concerned about being able to perform songs live perhaps they shouldn't use instruments that they don't have a live player for (keyboards) or record vocals that can't be replicated in a live setting (basically all the singing).

"To be honest, it doesn't really worth for us to play old songs, because those who loved those albums or even recognize those songs and would be happy to hear them are long gone from our shows, they don't care about what we've been doing recently/nowadays [this should mean since R2R]. Most of the attendants are youngsters who don't know our earlier material so they eager to hear the newer ones.

Blah blah blah, bullshit, blah blah blah. Do they make a survey before playing just to know wich fans are going to their shows? And we gotta believe because they're saying it, alas, we gotta have faith.

Thus it's very hard to make the setlist. Especially if we add that back then we were not composing songs with the live settings in mind [omg does that mean if do care about fans now? no, can't be, they are the devils], we just added a guitar line one after another. This puts us in a tough position in our shows because our goal is to give back the songs in album, or in even better quality. But these older tracks are pretty hard to put into a live setting properly, so this is one of the reasons why we don't really play them. In the current show however we have a couple of songs we have not played since years, so the show might e interesting for those who are interested in older tracks. [i guess he means songs like trigger? not sure, you'll know better]"

Sure, and it's really easy to put live all the keyboards and programming and choruses. It's again bullshit.

Edit: but people seems happy with the setlist, so, maybe I'm wrong and now only new fans go to their concerts. Atill, I think it's a waste of time creating fans that won't be interested in your full, or almost full, discography. When these things happen I think it's time to rethink and rename the band.

It's the same shit they always say. The stuff about translating the old songs into a live setting is utter BS. They managed it just fine in the past, it's nothing but an excuse and if they're so concerned about being able to perform songs live perhaps they shouldn't use instruments that they don't have a live player for (keyboards) or record vocals that can't be replicated in a live setting (basically all the singing).

My thoughts exactly; if they can add pre-recorded vocals for system they can add pre-recorded guitar(-like) effects to older songs as well. The live ones would be the dominant anyway, the pre-recorded ones would just give some color.

And it's stupid we don't want to hear old songs - especially if your reasoning is that we don't know them, wtf Björn!! Play Zombie Inc. - Colony and Jotun and people will be asking others where can they find those songs. Though Zombie Inc. has a pretty shitty chorus, but the solo would hook everyone. I agree that LS and TJR songs would not work at all unless they remake them very heavily (imagine the rage from the old fans!!! I'd do it just for their tears), so I can give them a +1 for not suffering with those ones. But most of the stuff from Whoracle onwards seems to be more than live-friendly.

Also, mash them the fuck up. If you don't want to play the entirety of Zombie Inc. just take the solo and put it somewhere else. easy

Blah blah blah, bullshit, blah blah blah. Do they make a survey before playing just to know wich fans are going to their shows? And we gotta believe because they're saying it, alas, we gotta have faith.

Sure, and it's really easy to put live all the keyboards and programming and choruses. It's again bullshit.

Edit: but people seems happy with the setlist, so, maybe I'm wrong and now only new fans go to their concerts. Atill, I think it's a waste of time creating fans that won't be interested in your full, or almost full, discography. When these things happen I think it's time to rethink and rename the band.
Hearing all these they should rename themselves comments are just as annoying as hearing evolution and musical progress for you. Just saying, it makes no sense. I won't change my name just because I was a non-believer 4 years ago but now I found god, and I'm not spreading such sicknesses I was before. (just a made up example, I'm still playing hide and seek with the old fella)

Sounds like this was really difficult to rearrange live :D fucking jokers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that they cant, it's that they don't want. It's stupid saying that fans don't know old songs and then playing Resin. What's the point about that song that makes it special or listenable to new fans?

Really, as an old metal fan, I can't imagine someone listening to last Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth or At the Gates and not wanting to hear to the old stuff, nor buying it. In fact, that's the way bands like Iron Maiden survived this long time, because the new fans will always buy their old albums. Yes, I know, cannot compare the "evolution" from the two bands. For sure, when you go to an Iron Maiden show you find there people between 15 and 50. In Flames seems to only want teenagers at their concerts.

Hearing all these they should rename themselves comments are just as annoying as hearing evolution and musical progress for you. Just saying, it makes no sense. I won't change my name just because I was a non-believer 4 years ago but now I found god, and I'm not spreading such sicknesses I was before. (just a made up example, I'm still playing hide and seek with the old fella)

I'll try to explain my point. You, as a band, should be proud of all your albums and try to convince the old fans about new songs and to approach the new fans to all your stuff. When you renounce this task, it's time to move on, sever ties and start something new. But that's my opinion about how things should be.

It's not that they cant, it's that they don't want. It's stupid saying that fans don't know old songs and then playing Resin. What's the point about that song that makes it special or listenable to new fans?

Really, as an old metal fan, I can't imagine someone listening to last Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth or At the Gates and not wanting to hear to the old stuff, nor buying it. In fact, that's the way bands like Iron Maiden survived this long time, because the new fans will always buy their old albums. Yes, I know, cannot compare the "evolution" from the two bands. For sure, when you go to an Iron Maiden show you find there people between 15 and 50. In Flames seems to only want teenagers at their concerts.
"If I go to a Maiden show then I want to hear the classics. The new ones have to be played as well and hopefully these will be classics as well in a few years."

From the same interview :D

Well it's only the first show. And I know when they start their tours they play A LOT of songs from the new album to see what works, I think after a couple shows the setlist will change a bit. Hopefully they play something from Whoracle again, maybe they're tired of playing The Hive. But Episode 666 works very good as well and they played it in 2009. I fucking love Resin though, hope they keep it until the Stockholm date.

I like that they play the songs I look most forward too from the new album though, In Plain View & Paralyzed.

Also found this on last fm I don't really understand:
Paralyzed
(with a fan invited to sing 'Dead Eyes' on stage with the band)

Must be a typo that he sang on Paralyzed, or they played Dead Eyes as well after Paralyzed.