In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

"If I go to a Maiden show then I want to hear the classics. The new ones have to be played as well and hopefully these will be classics as well in a few years."

From the same interview :D

I don't know who's the guy interviewed, but he sounds stupid and contradictory. What he thinks is good for Maiden it's not good for them and viceversa. There are many bands out there who had the capacity of maintaining the old fanbase while recruiting new "generations". But IF seems to only care to keep out of sight their old selfes to the new fans, as if they where ashamed of what they've done in the past.

It's not that they cant, it's that they don't want. It's stupid saying that fans don't know old songs and then playing Resin. What's the point about that song that makes it special or listenable to new fans?

Really, as an old metal fan, I can't imagine someone listening to last Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth or At the Gates and not wanting to hear to the old stuff, nor buying it. In fact, that's the way bands like Iron Maiden survived this long time, because the new fans will always buy their old albums. Yes, I know, cannot compare the "evolution" from the two bands. For sure, when you go to an Iron Maiden show you find there people between 15 and 50. In Flames seems to only want teenagers at their concerts.

Maybe you haven't been to their shows then. At least in Sweden, it's definitely not only teenagers at their show. PLENTY of guys in their 40's and 30's. But like with any band except AC/DC and ZZ Top, there are a majority of younger people since the band hasn't been around for 40+ years.

Yes krofius, he said in the interview exactly that. They are initially trying out the new ones and will see which one will remain. In one hand, we might be the unlucky ones to hear some meh songs live, on the other hand, we'll probably be the last ones who ever seen them live so yeah :D

And the interviewed one is Björn. He talked about At The Gates as well, how they remained the same unlike IF and about the new album.

Maybe you haven't been to their shows then. At least in Sweden, it's definitely not only teenagers at their show. PLENTY of guys in their 40's and 30's. But like with any band except AC/DC and ZZ Top, there are a majority of younger people since the band hasn't been around for 40+ years.

I think I didn't explained myself right. What I meant is that, of course, I see many people on their 30's and 40's, and obviously this people will know their full discography, but they only seem to see people who doesn't know about their old stuff. How can they recognize them? By their age I supose, so this is why I talk about teenagers. Not that I know for sure, it's just a quick conclusion.

Yes krofius, he said in the interview exactly that. They are initially trying out the new ones and will see which one will remain. In one hand, we might be the unlucky ones to hear some meh songs live, on the other hand, we'll probably be the last ones who ever seen them live so yeah :D

And the interviewed one is Björn. He talked about At The Gates as well, how they remained the same unlike IF and about the new album.

Well, Bjorn is the one who once said that Jesper is not that good as a live guitarrist and that Anders is a great singer.

Really, I know that it's not what it looks like, but I don't want to get mad about all the stuff about the new album and the shows, but I read this kind of comments coming from them and its like... like I just can't control my bad temper.

Well, Bjorn is the one who once said that Jesper is not that good as a live guitarrist and that Anders is a great singer.

He pretty much said the same now as well, haha.

He said Anders doesn't practice, have no teacher and his warm-up before shows is a glass of whisky. But he praised his hard-working. He said he sings better than ever.
While it sounds contradictory - well, it is - I think I get where he is coming from. I always got the impression from Anders that he is indeed a hard-wroking individual, it's just sad he never took the time to invest it in a personal coach and whatnot. Corey and the Hammerfall vocalist have said as well how their voice was a wreck after a certain point and without their teacher they might not had been able to sing properly again. Imo Anders is fucking lucky he has a VERY characteristic voice and presence in the songs. If he was truly as shitty as you describe him to be, no one would listen to IF, especially after they switched to vocal-centric songs.

He talked about Jesper too, he sounded really bitter, but it's the same I sensation I felt from Anders' interviews as well. No one dared to say it, but it was so obvious they were thinking "thank god this asshole is gone now". Björn said they were friends but when Jespers' sickness started to kick in, resulting in all kinds of bad things, their relationship suffered it greatly. He also praised the new guitarist, saying sth along the lines he is a true guitarist, he's always with his guitars, jamming something, while Jesper dropped it immidietly after a show or recording session and went on his own ways, implying he was not in love with the instrument.

edit: "If you hear an IF song, you recognize it immidietly. And that's what matters. After these years, after so many albums and songs, In Flames is still in our music. More or less the same guys write and play the songs, but from time to time, you must refresh it a bit." - translated it, so you can reach your final form :p

edit 2: after reading it some more, it seems that Engelin enjoys what he does while it was a chore for Jesper which was just not fun to play along with for anyone. But Björn says it's really fun now and they are enjoying it, they have a good relationship.

edit 3: one last thing to clear it up; he doesn't shit all over Jesper. He gives him lot of credit and calls him as "once best friend", so chill before one of you misinterpret it. As a personal opinion of mine, it's damn sad to see what addiction can do to people. It might be worse than dying a legend...

He pretty much said the same now as well, haha.
He talked about Jesper too, he sounded really bitter, but it's the same I sensation I felt from Anders' interviews as well. No one dared to say it, but it was so obvious they were thinking "thank god this asshole is gone now". Björn said they were friends but when Jespers' sickness started to kick in, resulting in all kinds of bad things, their relationship suffered it greatly. He also praised the new guitarist, saying sth along the lines he is a true guitarist, he's always with his guitars, jamming something, while Jesper dropped it immidietly after a show or recording session and went on his own ways, implying he was not in love with the instrument.

edit: "If you hear an IF song, you recognize it immidietly. And that's what matters. After these years, after so many albums and songs, In Flames is still in our music. More or less the same guys write and play the songs, but from time to time, you must refresh it a bit." - translated it, so you can reach your final form :p

So he talks about Jesper as a guitarrist the same way he talks about himself. Good for him. Maybe he should leave the band and let Niclas do the work.

As for the second part, maybe he truly thinks what he's saying but I know of many people who would disagree. And the "In Flames is still in our music" says more than what he's able to admit about who they are now as a band.

Edit: I think there's more than addiction into Jesper's departure. By the time they Started the composition from SOAPF Jesper was recovered but he never expresed an intend to rejoin the band. Anyway, always referring to Jesper's addiction seems unfair to him and an excuse for them. Seeing the musical direction they're taking now, it's clear Jesper wouldn't fit on it, so break should be inevitable, but Jesper's departure left the doors open for the rest of them to maintain the label and do whatever they want with it.

What interview are you talking about Jester Slave?

And it's obvious it didn't work the last years in the band and it probably was a big relief with everything that came with Jesper when he quit the band. And then to get Niclas who is super energetic and loves to jam around with Björn as well, something Jesper didn't really want to do before shows according to Björn.

But everyone seems much happier now and they are all on good terms although they aren't working together anymore.

Edit: I think there's more than addiction into Jesper's departure. By the time they Started the composition from SOAPF Jesper was recovered but he never expresed an intend to rejoin the band. Anyway, always referring to Jesper's addiction seems unfair to him and an excuse for them. Seeing the musical direction they're taking now, it's clear Jesper wouldn't fit on it, so break should be inevitable, but Jesper's departure left the doors open for the rest of them to maintain the label and do whatever they want with it.

Mmm he did say they (Jesper and Björn) started alienating from each other years before the addiction stuff blown out. Did not mention anything specific though.

I'm pretty sure Jesper just got tired. The rest of the band had genuine fun doing what they were and still doing, but for whatever reason, the flame in Jesper, which initially made him create this band, just disappeared. Howewer money was still floating in and in some ways it was his band, so he hanged around.

I also not see how it is an excuse when the guy had to miss out entire leg of tours, lol. It's pretty huge, and if he weren't the "one and only" he would've been kicked long ago.

So much boring bullshit and time-wasters when they could play many, many more energetic and stand-out songs to give the set different flavors and please everyone. To be fair however, I guess most of these especially from SC were played to get a feel for how well each are played and what kind of response they'll get.

IMO, I seriously don't see why (and plenty of video proof over the last decade shows that they can no problem) they can't honor and still kill it live playing songs like:

Moonshield & Artifacts of The Black Rain - A bit more technical to play live with dual harmonies/solos to be fair, but still doable with just 2 guitars)
Jotun
Episode 666 - (Krofius :headbang:)
Gyroscope
Embody the Invisible - Yes I know they have been, keep it up.
Ordinary Story
Zombie Inc
Colony - Probably their most well known song by USA metal fans besides Cloud Connected and Take This life, everyone here knows that organ synth and main guitar riffs)
Bullet Ride
Pinball Map
Square Nothing
Clayman

^All of these songs can be played with 2 guitars no problem. You can find videos of them playing every one of them online without difficulty. "The older songs are too complex to play live without taking away from the songs themselves." ...Horse shit.

I don't know where they're coming up with this shit... There is NO way people are yelling for fucking "MIRROR'S TRUTH" more than douchebags that yell JESTER RACE or just regular IF fans (like 16-20 year olds) at my local venues who yell out "WHORACLE!" or "COLONY!!!" whenever they come here. It just doesn't happen. People want to hear their best shit more than anything off ASOP or SOAPF and now especially SC. And it's been that way for 10+ years. They're lying.

I just don't see why they can't just play their older stuff people love and balance it in with the new stuff...
Why not just be badass dudes on stage killing it with your greatest shit while also playing the best songs of your newer stuff TOO?

If they didn't have such disdain for their best material, they'd have the most epic shows out of any metal band.

Metallica and other powerhouse/high-level metal bands all play their best shit live constantly while still incorporating the new stuff as a nice-size slice of the pie too no problem.

Balance... Is the key to happiness.

Guys, once again, stop being so perplexed by what is patently obvious. Just use Occam's razor. The band is just lazy. They don't care about their old fans, their old material, any longer. They want to do numetal/hard rock/modern rock anthems with just enough heaviness to make the crowd jump up n' down on its way to the merchandise area. I read some of the excuses... Crowd not into the old songs? The crowds used to be plenty into the old material. But when you release an album or succession of albums in a totally different style (vocal melodies) you attract a new type of fan. So obviously these new fans aren't going to react to the old material because they came to hear the catchy choruses and jump up n down songs. So, in this case the band is actually a victim of its own making and complaining about the crowd not reacting is actually another slap in the face for old fans. And the songs are "too complex" (not sure if this was quoted from another member or in reference to IF but it's probably the latter) to play live? LOL would any serious musician with an ounce of integrity, competency and self respect say that about their own music The band played those songs live for years and years without a problem. So that means either their guitarists are not skilled enough to play them now (horseshit) or, there really is no good reason other than laziness. They don't want to rehearse the old stuff, fine. Let them do fashion shows and drink beer all day. See this is the problem with money interfering in art of any form. Lots of good music out in 2014 boys. No need to spend time any longer trying to like an album that's just atrocious. Check out the new Decapitated it's really good.

You people are pretty dumb. If I was a band who just started touring for an album the thing I'd want to play is stuff from the new record for a while.

Biggest Serbian metal magazine just reviewed ATG At War With Reality and gave the album 9/10. SC got 6/10.

I'll Google translate it. Some parts are a bit fucked up, but you'll get the general idea:

This will not be a classic analysis of poems and parts that are well done, and which are not, that you do not spoil your self to listen to the album which will be released only for one month. Before I try to convey an atmosphere that is coming out in him and the passion with which the At the Gates created. The album is acting a bit darker than the old predecessor, was signed by the fantastic melodies that every dark scream arguments complement, full of quick and clear drums, with typical ATG guitars. Especially the short narration, light and pure musical parts, deep darkness and aggression, nice melodic elements, intelligent guitar solos, variations of rhythms, some examples interesting tonal and section near the end in the form of a dazzling instrumental works, and entirely appropriate ending with a slight slowdown.

Gates before the "altar of the unknown god" is open and there is a safe and mystical voice in my imagination the Spanish priest who has known the secrets of the god whose souls in the form of metaphorical servant coming to get him. Theme recognizable beginning foretells the story of the band in which he holds still safe. The priest says: "First, God does not exist. Secondly, there is a God and he's the villain. Thirdly, there is a god, but he's sleeping," and so on until the number seven with tonal breaks down his philosophy while it gradually sounds occult atmosphere cold of Spanish horror surrounding and channeled his voice and his presence all the more clear in the first riff song "Death And the Labyrinth". Aggression - here, a great riff - the dirty Lindberg's scream - here, everything is about to start! The song, though aggressive, slowing the pace of middle exactly where to be and additionally real atmosphere that awakens in you a positive induced aggression unpopular opinions and thousands of ideas that you are going through your head.

Initial pulses that indicate the title track, which all had the opportunity to hear a few days ago, comes another classic song ATG. In it we have these days immediately able to see the consequences of so many study withdrawal in mind the negative comments that were in the beginning, based on one song, highlight the album as mediocre and too cautious step that nothing "waves" too. In such a hearing must enter with a touch of respect for the band, complete with a piece of caution, but why just spit on the fact that the song is based on fossilized and outdated standards melodic death's? Of course it is based, and thus ATG sounds, here are fit and so naturally and continue on. The problem is that during these 20 years melodic death metal became supersaturated with mediocre bands that have made the genre of "already played", but these are the pioneers of the genre whose minds are still hears the voice of progressiveness.

Of course, people will be in this album divided into "old" ATG from the very beginning and the one with the last album "Slaughter Of The Soul" (1995), who chewed through all kinds of quarrels, squabbles and musical debate. Guitars and riffs will, although they sound great, would probably be the largest under fire because "they sound too much like ATG." Okay, I am a supporter of experimentation and implementation of innovative ideas, but somehow fundamentally it still needs to be what it originally was, and pointed out this band relative to the other. If you create something great, why do you step into the potential abyss if people like what you do not become bored? Is not it enough bright and fresh news that At the Gates released a new album?

All riffs were written by brothers Björler, a thematic album is conceptual nature, inspired by the magic realism interweaving fantasy and everyday reality, which is another thing which makes this release different from the previous four. Great production work was done by Frederik Nordström, who has worked with them on the previous two albums, while the task that it all got Jens Bogren izmiksuje, one of the most famous names in today's metal world. How much effort and deliberation are invested in this album shows his visual aspect which ensured artist Costin Chiorean and illustrated each song separately. These, his works will be issued in the brochure along with the album, and showing his grim, but not depressing atmosphere.

As the At the Gates every study done by issuing additional step towards what what they aspire to, and whose essence only know five of them, so this album should be seen in a new context, but newer and more experienced for nearly 20 years. "At War With Reality" was aggressive, a shade darker than its predecessor and shows exactly what comes out of the dark corners of consciousness of each of the members.

So it seems I got the right impression from the first song. A bit darker, strong songwriting and tempo, some interesting twists, but basically the same ATG sound without major experimentation.

Really hoping for this one to be good.

There's no way new ATG will be disappointing, at least in my eyes.
Btw, a nice live recording of Trigger from yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud16_WbWz6c
Also Rusted Nail, seems like it's sped up a tiny bit in the live version? Sounds great regardless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud16_WbWz6c

Two times trigger.

But, again, an example of their lies. Rusted Nail intro pre recorded sound. Though, crowd seems to really enjoy new songs live. Also, Anders is terrible in RN.

As for all the Jesper's issue, we have just one version. The band coul've decided to be polite about the departure instead of telling shit, like Jesper who never said anything bad about his ex-comrades.

Resin sounds fucking awesome. Some good death growls as well.
A funny thing with a lyric part is the ''Each day I crawl to the hall of the GIANTS'', while on the studio song he sings SILENCE and not GIANTS. No idea why that is, because I analyzed that part a few years back a lot and it's crystal clear he's saying "silence" and not "giants"