In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Top notch songwriting in your eyes, boring prog metal objectively speaking. And how is Dead Reckoning counted as their early material? What the fuck? It was released in 2007. Subsurface 2004. None of those are early Threshold. First four albums were released in 1993-1998 so I don't understand why you are counting their latest couple records as earlier material.
Anders should take notes from that guy? Why would anyone even WANT to sound like that guy, that's the real question. From a technical standpoint he's great, but the way it sounds, no thanks.

And Nevermore is/was a progressive metal band. A bit more groovy on the last 2 records but as a whole, progressive metal with other influences and elements. Modern metal? You call them that and you say it's your favorite band? Makes as much sense as to call In Flames melodeath nowadays.

I like how you are starting to argue now. "Boring prog objectively speaking." This is good and makes for much more passionate and interesting discussions. Now on to the facts:

Damian Wilson is one of the best singers in music. You pointed this out above. Just because you don't like the sound of his voice speaks nothing to how he uses it as a tool. Therefore, to use your word 'objective', I'll apply it to his vocal greatness and state it's an objective fact that he is an amazing lead vocalist. You said ao as well ("great" is usually a word reserved for the best). As an instrument, his voice is almost perfect. His peers (you know, other musicians) agree. Now, why is he good? Well, his voice is naturally amazing, of course, but guess what? He also practices. Something Anders, the laziest 'singer' in pop-metal, doesn't do. Damian Wilson's lyrics are also poignant and relevant. Much like early IF, before they started writing pop music (as Jesper alluded to in his recent post). I'm surprised you don't know this by now considering the education I've given you over the past few weeks. Finally, I'll emphatically claim that WD's vocals demand a much higher tolerance/learning curve to appreciate to Damian Wilson. Warrel is one of my favorite vocalists of all time but his voice is much harder to get into than Wilson's. The immediate impact of Wilson is much stronger.

Concerning the "old material", yes it was a comment made in haste and perhaps "older material" was not appropriate. I'm well aware of the release dates of their records. I happen to classify them as pre/post Wilson's return since 5 (almost 6) years went by between DR and MOP, so pre MOP I referred to as "older". Sue me.

Now, concerning topik yang favorit saya di dunia, Nevermore, here is a quote from Jeff Loomis: "Nevermore is really just a modern metal band." LOL. Their own (former) songwriter agrees with me. But even if he had never said that, it's clear. I mean it is true that Nevermore has a small Queensryche vibe at times, and elements of "progression" in their songwriting. But recall that while there are a few different definitions of 'progressive metal' generally speaking every definition agrees that progressive metal blends heavy metal in some form with jazz/fusion and/or classical progressive rock (classical in the construction), which by definition came before progressive metal. There is literally no intentional jazz or jazz fusion influence in Nevermore at all. Not in Loomis's playing or Van's drumming. Anything classical would be limited to Loomis's exceptional solos, classified by some in the stupid "neoclassic shred" sub genre. What about Van's drumming, you may ask? We all know Van is a big Rush fan, and Rush was sort of a progressive rock band thanks to the drumming of NP! But wait...question to Van, "What are your influences as a drummer?" Answer from Van, "Well, as far as listening to it was always...like Rush was always one of my favorite bands. Well, I don’t think I reflect any of that in my playing..." More importantly though, even if Van said "I'm influenced by a lot of prog rock drummers" that would NOT make Nevermore a progressive metal band. This should be obvious and not to know, is not to know. So there you have some facts.

So, there may be some elements of prog in the music here and there, just like there are elements of power and death metal, which I said above, but that doesn't make them a progressive, or power or death metal band even though some people, like you, are still confused. And what you're confusing are two different things, in this case elements of a genre with a genre itself. The closest to accurate sentence I've found on this is on the wiki/prog metal page which explains it, surprisingly, rather nicely though still incorrectly. I'll quote for reference:

"Recently, with a new wave of popularity in shred guitar, the hitherto-unfashionable genre of "technical metal" has become increasingly prevalent and popular in the metal scene to the inclusion within the progressive metal scene of bands that do not necessarily play in its traditional style such as thrash/power metallers Nevermore".

So adding bands like Nevermore or death metal bands like Necrophagist into the genre is just a revision of history. Progressive metal bands are bands like the pioneers Queensryche and Fates Warning, along with bands like Dream Theater, Vanden Plas, Pain of Salvation, etc.The new wave of "modern Progressive" would include bands like The Contortionist, Anubis Gate (whose 2014 album is awesome) Teramaze etc. I could go on but...enough education for one day. It's difficult to classify Nevermore but a progressive metal band surely they were not.

No, I just brought you up as an example of shallowness. So basically the opposite of what you just said :lol:

Which in itself is ironic considering how wrong it was...

Exhibing all the symptoms of hurt feelings. Faked indignation, lashing out, failing rational thought... stay chilly bro, you'll get through it. Don't become another HotKnifingHash...

Shallowness is someone who says Ordinary Story and Zombie inc are boring lmfao.

Bullet Ride is not a good live song in your eyes somehow too hahaha that's hilarious.

You're mentally ill, kid
First of all, I said that in my opinion there are better songs for live play from the new catalog than Z Inc. Same with Bullet Ride, so fuck off putting words into my mouth.

But more importantly, you are pathetic, if you call my mentally ill for not liking the songs you do. This is why it's a sad place, and with every lame ass response like this one it becomes quite clear how you managed to alienate the band from yourself.

The pretentiousness in you is mildy amusing. I say SC is a good album or that Anders voice does the job, I'm a fanboy, and here you are sucking pre R2R IF's cock like it's what you were created for, being on a holy war to enlighten us all that yes, Ordinary Story and Bullet Ride are in fact 10/10 live songs, anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid, and if someone happens to have any of these songs not listed as their favourites, than god save us all. :D But in this cave it's perfectly fine. What a joker.

I can see why aren't any newer folks here, it's not really a discussion board, when the (6 men, lol) community created user agreement says "you have to accept that pre-2002 IF is our Lord and Savior". Though I'd encourage everyone to try it out, closest thing to time travel.

Oh, and look, guess what song they added to the setlist last night? Ordinary Story? Bullet Ride? Nope, Colony. What a surprise! Maan, it's like IF understands they can't do 50 songs long setlist, so they have to choose from the very best of old material which also clicks with the newer fans who outnumber the guys in Colony sweaters. Just unreal. And what if they would add one more older song? Would it be Bullet Ride? Zombie Inc.? Ordinary Story? No, it would be Pinball Map, you heard it here first.
But I don't want to ruin anyone's dream setlist, so you keep waiting for those, I'll keep checking out if they sneaked Dawn Of A New Day in. :D

Which in itself is ironic considering how wrong it was...

Exhibing all the symptoms of hurt feelings. Faked indignation, lashing out, failing rational thought... stay chilly bro, you'll get through it. Don't become another HotKnifingHash...
You are exhibiting the symptons of someone you provoked, so don't act surprised and don't give "advices". Keep this stupid shit going or ignore it, but don't be the pussy who holds his hands up like he did nothing. That would be disappointing.

Oh, and look, guess what song they added to the setlist last night? Ordinary Story? Bullet Ride? Nope, Colony. What a surprise! Maan, it's like IF understands they can't do 50 songs long setlist, so they have to choose from the very best of old material which also clicks with the newer fans who outnumber the guys in Colony sweaters. Just unreal. And what if they would add one more older song? Would it be Bullet Ride? Zombie Inc.? Ordinary Story? No, it would be Pinball Map, you heard it here first.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/in-flames/2014/grosse-freiheit-36-hamburg-germany-33cf6855.html

Meh, still not even that. I was really grinding my gears on what would be the next oldie they bring out after that, but back to step 1 with waiting for Colony then.

If they keep the setlist this rigid it has to be a live shooting. MSS, Colony, Pinball Map or TQP are all upsets for not being here, but they have something in common: already appeared in a live disc (or two). It would explain why the focus on SOAPF and ASOP after SC, when there are so many things left out from CC and STYE.

Also, STYE having 0 tracks representing, but it is the record which have a live version for every song.

But fuck me if they keep MITB till the possible shooting.:err:

edit: nevermind, CC would need more songs as well, so I'm not so sure.

You are exhibiting the symptons of someone you provoked, so don't act surprised and don't give "advices". Keep this stupid shit going or ignore it, but don't be the pussy who holds his hands up like he did nothing. That would be disappointing.

I can imagine the tears in your eyes as you were typing this, one spilling down your cheek as you hit post and have to get away from the computer for five minutes to compose yourself. Apologies bro, I didn’t mean to upset you this much. Even Krofius, a forum warrior for many years, is feeling the strain. I think it’s time for the pro-Anders crew to take a step back and stop pushing that huge boulder up an impossibly steep hill.

On an N’Flaymz related topic, it seems like there isn’t much love in the band for STYE. No songs at all for this tour and even on previous tours they dropped MSS. You rarely hear anything other than TQP or MSS from STYE on an In Flames tour.

I can imagine the tears in your eyes as you were typing this, one spilling down your cheek as you hit post and have to get away from the computer for five minutes to compose yourself. Apologies bro, I didn’t mean to upset you this much. Even Krofius, a forum warrior for many years, is feeling the strain. I think it’s time for the pro-Anders crew to take a step back and stop pushing that huge boulder up an impossibly steep hill.
I like it how you invest yourself in describing how you think I invest myself into this. :D Keep at it, bro!

LONG ASS TEXT
Relax. I was just trolling around. I have only listened to 1 Threshold song in my life, wasn't my cup of tea. I have listened quite a bit to the last 2 Nevermore records though.

You see how retarded my posts were? I was just imitating you. Now you know how stupid you look when you post.

On an N’Flaymz related topic, it seems like there isn’t much love in the band for STYE. No songs at all for this tour and even on previous tours they dropped MSS. You rarely hear anything other than TQP or MSS from STYE on an In Flames tour.
I wasn't specifically talking about him, more about everyone. I mean, fucking religion/science discussions on the IF forum? And mindless 10-year old back and forth banter? No thanks.

Also a pretty good 2min video of Monsters in the Ballroom, I think Anders did a great fucking job in the chorus which I thought would be one of the hardest ones for him. And I disagree with Jester Slave about this song sucking live, that looked fucking awesome. Then again, it is one of my favorite tracks on the album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G939oABCK8w
And here's an AWESOME quality video of In Plain View
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epvswx_8J2o

I wasn't specifically talking about him, more about everyone. I mean, fucking religion/science discussions on the IF forum? And mindless 10-year old back and forth banter? No thanks.

Nothing wrong with a bit of variety my good man. If left up to you, PlainVanilla and Jester Slave the forum would just be a repeating loop of posts promoting the greatness and beauty of Anders followed by endless postings of links to live performances :D debate and mindless banter doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

Nothing wrong with a bit of variety my good man. If left up to you, PlainVanilla and Jester Slave the forum would just be a repeating loop of posts promoting the greatness and beauty of Anders followed by endless postings of links to live performances :D debate and mindless banter doesn't seem so bad in comparison.
Switch up the names and it's all the same, with the exception of Uneasy Conscience. He's the lone member of his own third group.

Hey man, I'm trying to provoke some reaction but, if you won't debate about some questions there's nothing I can do.

Relax. I was just trolling around. I have only listened to 1 Threshold song in my life, wasn't my cup of tea. I have listened quite a bit to the last 2 Nevermore records though.

You see how retarded my posts were? I was just imitating you. Now you know how stupid you look when you post.

Well fuck man that's no fun. We were just getting into it. One song, really? :erk:

And the last two Nevermore records? TOC isn't nearly as good as early material. Go listen to The Politics of Ecstasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave him be. Jester Slave is, as you pointed out I believe, simply a fan boy. An empty shell. His dream set list had one song from Colony?:lol:
Actually, if I were to make a dream setlist of 20 songs, the only one that could make the list pre-Clayman is Everlost pt.2. 'Sup?!:heh:

On the other hand, if I had to make a collection of 20 IF songs to listen to at home, it would be quite different.

I don't expect you to understand this, but what can I say, I'm a nice guy, helping out lost souls like yourself, even if you refuse to uncover your eyes.

I hope someone will shoot me if I ever keep jerking off on a message board about a band I can't stand for 12 years though. :> It's some next level sadness righ there.

I think the problem is when you apreciate songs by vocals and think of the music as mere accompaniment. It's imposible to apreciate music by itself if your main concern is wether if the guy is singing or if his screaming something you can't take the melodies. It's easy for metal fans, or for people used to listen to metal more than any other genre. But, if you come from some king of music genre on wich vocal melodies are important, then it's all confusing.

Also, before you punish me Plain Vanilla, if your used to classical music, is more "natural" for you to apreciate the music behind the vocals, so pretend to be ofended by something not related to you.

Just a simple question, is there anyone who does not apreciate IF instrumental songs as they do with those with vocals? I'm gonna risk giving an answer, Jester Slave.

Edit: an example. If I say Enbody the Invisible, what comes to your minds? Exactly, no Anders verses but guitar introduction by Jesper (I remember well being him the guy with the solo guitar or I'm a little confused?).

Also, before you punish me Plain Vanilla, if your used to classical music, is more "natural" for you to apreciate the music behind the vocals, so pretend to be ofended by something not related to you.

I love everything from Lunar Strain to Siren Charms and I dig things like Obscura so... Well... :heh:

Man, you make bold statements just like me, the only exceptions you believe you are right, while I believe I'm right. Like "more people like more songs from the first 5 albums than the last 6"... really now? Maybe if we would count those who don'T give a rat's ass about IF for a long time, like our soulmate UC here, but that's cheating. And I suppose this is the point where I have to come up with a witty mockery word, to express that I am right and you are wrong, but lunatic is one of my favorite English words, so I stand no chance here. Eat poo! Or something like that.

I love how you erase newer (let's count it from R2R, to not make it complicated) fans' own thoughts, and replace it what you'd like them to think. No one ever mentioned here in this debate (well, I tried it once) that there are songs from the new era which are either underplayed or never have been performed live. You watch the current setlist and say "this and that could be replaced with old stuff", but I say "this and that could be replaced with other newer stuff". But no, fuck that, right?

Why they don't play Colony is beyond me, but they showed the finger to STYE as well on this tour so far, so it's not like they only "provoked" the ones who like older material.

I don't look down on anything (okay, LS is shit), I'm just saying the newer songs work better live and they already have a sick competition between themselves to begin with. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening the old stuff at home, nor that I would go crazy if they dared to play more pre-2002 songs. I don't agree completely with their setlist for this tour (though I give them a break, since its a fucking promotional tour, so they have to play the shit out of SC), but I don't agree with your song selection either. Tell to 2000 people who just arrived to a show, that you were asked by IF which extra song should they play that night and you convinced them to do Ordinary Story. I hope your trust in your guarantee is strong, because you just thre ouw MSS/TQP/CC/System/Pinball Map/Alias/Leeches/the list goes on, but you are pretty much dead anyway after people realizing you picked it over MSS, the rest is icing on the cake.

Or who knows, maybe you are right, and they would go crazy, and after the show they would approach you with the a favor to convince them to throw garbage like Deliver Us and Ropes out for some more pre-2000 stuff. I highly doubt it though.

And don't forget, partially why IF made this decision because they spent hundreds of shows watching you and you and you on their shows, and they could see the different vibe from the crowd when they played Ordinary Story and when they did My Sweet Shadow. Now to top that, right now MSS is struggling to get love, but we are arguing whether Ordinary Story should be played or not. I dunno, different strokes I guess.

Btw, this is what this whole debate reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEiGgaHiDJw&list=UUsvn_Po0SmunchJYOWpOxMg replace pokemons with IF songs and there we are.

Just a simple question, is there anyone who does not apreciate IF instrumental songs as they do with those with vocals? I'm gonna risk giving an answer, Jester Slave.
What does it have to do with songs being performed live? I love a lot of (instrumental) OSTs, but I don't want to listen to any of them live.

The very best thing of pre-2000 IF are the solos and the acoustic parts/songs. The only exception is the Stand Ablaze EP, I can enjoy that singer's growls. Someone should've stopped Anders to growl after Skyworld, but luckily from Whoracle onwards it's not as annoying, or even enjoyable on some songs.

Anyway, vocals are important to me, purely instrumental tracks can't hold my attention for too long. I want to get behind the song; I was never amazed by 2-3 minutes long solos from rock bands live, but I can very much appreciate instrumental tracks or parts.

Edit: but now that I think about it, the important thing is to have melody at least if I don't understand what you'r singing. I like Cradle Of Filth for example, and I can enjoy Dani Filth screaming the shit out of himself without me understanding much more than Anders' on TJR for example.