In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Much better, but still all over the place and with no proper riffs.

And this is going to be on DVD?

Yay! First one was 50% STYE, second one 50% SC/ASOP.

Yes. I had the feeling that either they were going to do something special for the shows, or they would just record two regular shows. They did however bring an extra awesome stage-show with all the lights and other stuff.

But performing When the World Explodes was kinda special for the shows though.

I know you might not be, but I am definitely looking forward to the DVD. The new songs sounded awesome live and they did a great show in general.

Probably why they almost literally had the exact same setlist for the entire Europe tour to learn them perfectly for the DVD recording. They only changed Monsters in the Ballroom with The Quiet Place after a few shows, that's the only change at all in the setlist, I think.

For anyone interested someone taped the entire show at Hovet, pretty good sound. Resin sounds really great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I had the feeling that either they were going to do something special for the shows, or they would just record two regular shows. They did however bring an extra awesome stage-show with all the lights and other stuff.

But performing When the World Explodes was kinda special for the shows though.

I know you might not be, but I am definitely looking forward to the DVD. The new songs sounded awesome live and they did a great show in general.

Probably why they almost literally had the exact same setlist for the entire Europe tour to learn them perfectly for the DVD recording. They only changed Monsters in the Ballroom with The Quiet Place after a few shows, that's the only change at all in the setlist, I think.

For anyone interested someone taped the entire show at Hovet, pretty good sound. Resin sounds really great.

Crowd acts as if they'd been taking sleeping pills. Nearly no movement at all except the front... where it is minimal commotion from what I can tell.

They need to stop playing ropes.

Having seen it 4 times live myself as well as hearing amateur recordings online.. It just doesn't sound good or "bounce" well live. Swap that out for a better song. Preferably a good metal song.

Changing the vocal lines to guitar and better production actually makes Rusted Nail very palatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=livaU1nNlAE

The song actually sounds great here. Especially in the bridges/Choruses you feel the "feel" they were going for with the song.

Too bad the studio version is mixed terribly, as well Anders "choices" on how to sing it. It should've been screamed like Where The Dead Ships Dwell and Fear is The Weakness was. Very powerful but also emotional. The way the studio version is sung just doesn't feel right in my ears. The way this guy is nailing the guitar melodies especially in the chorus just makes me think that Anders should be screaming as well as he can along with it and not "singing" the way he did.

Resin sounds incredible. The bass drum made me inherently move my head to it immediately and Anders was perfect throughout. Such great screams/gutturals.

Trigger was also brutal and aggressive as shit.

Now listening to Only For The Weak and he is screaming/growling really hard in the bridges/choruses as well. Listen to the final chorus of only for the weak in the video, he's growling the whole thing.

I have a feeling he rested his voice with extra effort for these pro-shot shows and focused on screams because he truly knows he excels at that vs. actually singing. And that he knows it sounds much better.

I however wish they swap out "Ropes" with Colony, Clayman or Bullet Ride. Anders screaming/growling the way he was this show on any of those songs would've been amazing. It also would've been sick had they played Moonshield or Gyroscope considering how well Anders was screaming and growling that night.

Just think of Metallica recording DVD with 75% content from Death Magnetic, St. Anger and Reaload. :loco:

"Lars Ulrich said: "Crowd just doesn't move when we play Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning like they do when we blast Slither and Frantic". His colleague Kirk Hammett pointed out that new songs sound much better live as it is impossible to play solos and twin guitar harmonies in live environment. James Hatfield was also very happy with the setlist as he could finally show full potential of his voice by "singing, not just screaming over fast riffs."

:D surprised Jester Slave hasn't exploded with rage and typed a 10 paragraph response to this veiled dig at his heroes. Maybe he's just running through the final draft before posting.

I know you might not be, but I am definitely looking forward to the DVD.

There's a surprise :D

Crowd acts as if they'd been taking sleeping pills. Nearly no movement at all except the front... where it is minimal commotion from what I can tell.

You must be mistaken. The old songs are the ones that the crowd never move to, new songs are - to quote A88 in my sig - "mayhem, mosh pits everywhere, those true metalheads in the first row, die-hard fans".

The way this guy is nailing the guitar melodies especially in the chorus just makes me think that Anders should be screaming as well as he can along with it and not "singing" the way he did.

Unfortunately Andurrz seems determined to ruin the band with his insistence on singing, even though he himself has admitted he can't fucking sing.

Another idea, and it's crazy I know, would be to actually put the guitar melodies back into the music and stop using bad singing as a substitute. But We all know Anders' ego ain't gonna stand for that.

Another idea, and it's crazy I know, would be to actually put the guitar melodies back into the music and stop using bad singing as a substitute. But We all know Anders' ego ain't gonna stand for that.

Don't be stupid bro. Everybody knows it's impossible to put the so-called "guitar melodies" (yuck!) back into the music.

You can't possibly play that shit live and it is also forbidden by religious canon AND laws of physics. You can play proper riffs and melodies and scream, OR you can sing catchy chorus. Proper riff + melody + singing + chorus = no can do.

Also, why would you re-introduce that God awful distorted dual guitar whining when you can have full 40 minute uber-progressive Pinkfloydesque One Direction meets Sonic Syndicate masterpiece record of vastly superior choir-of-studio-angels Anders vocals?

Plus, doing melody is soooo '90. Spice girls and BSB.

surprised Jester Slave hasn't exploded with rage and typed a 10 paragraph response to this veiled dig at his heroes. Maybe he's just running through the final draft before posting.

Still typin'. :D

Changing the vocal lines to guitar and better production actually makes Rusted Nail very palatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=livaU1nNlAE

- Vocal melody played this way sounds almost oriental.
- Dude just pulled off better solo then any Bjorn played on last 3 records.
- Funny how this song lacks even ONE remotely interesting riff. Same with Through Oblivion. OK we know that already, but when you actually watch someone playing 4 minutes of mind-numbing chugging it's just... Wow.

I'm starting to think that probably Bjorn doesn't know how to do good guitar melodies, aka all the good riffs were Jesper's. I'm also wondering if he is capable of playing the more difficult riffs. I mean, Jesper plays bass and guitar on DZ, whose music is more difficult to play thatn IF's, in the meanwhile, IF leaves apart the hardest songs to play live, as Clay-man says wisely, those from CC, so maybe the problem is that they're too difficult to Bjorn (or that he just doesn't try, as he is a lazy man).

I'm starting to think that probably Bjorn doesn't know how to do good guitar melodies, aka all the good riffs were Jesper's. I'm also wondering if he is capable of playing the more difficult riffs. I mean, Jesper plays bass and guitar on DZ, whose music is more difficult to play thatn IF's, in the meanwhile, IF leaves apart the hardest songs to play live, as Clay-man says wisely, those from CC, so maybe the problem is that they're too difficult to Bjorn (or that he just doesn't try, as he is a lazy man).

So you dont consider the melodies on Ropes, Dead Eyes, A new dawn, Fear is the Weakness, Paralyzed to be good?
Yes Jesper had great riffs/melodies and probably wrote the best in In flame's discography but come on, arent we exaggerating a little here?

Don't be stupid bro. Everybody knows it's impossible to put the so-called "guitar melodies" (yuck!) back into the music.

You can't possibly play that shit live and it is also forbidden by religious canon AND laws of physics. You can play proper riffs and melodies and scream, OR you can sing catchy chorus. Proper riff + melody + singing + chorus = no can do.

Also, why would you re-introduce that God awful distorted dual guitar whining when you can have full 40 minute uber-progressive Pinkfloydesque One Direction meets Sonic Syndicate masterpiece record of vastly superior choir-of-studio-angels Anders vocals?

Plus, doing melody is soooo '90. Spice girls and BSB.

Well, I happen to like the Spice Girls and the BSB, so the 90's works for me :D bring Steps, S Club 7, N'Sync, Five, Blue and Take That back too :kickass:

To be fair to Bjorn, SOAPF had some great melodies on it. I do wonder whether he had a point to prove on that album with Jesper leaving, and now he's back to being a lazy fuck.

Jesper was on STYE and ASOP... look what happened there :D I love the guy but the modern In Flames stuff he was a part of + The Resistance suggests he isn't especially interested in great melodies either right now.

So you dont consider the melodies on Ropes, Dead Eyes, A new dawn, Fear is the Weakness, Paralyzed to be good?
Yes Jesper had great riffs/melodies and probably wrote the best in In flame's discography but come on, arent we exaggerating a little here?

I'm talking about difficulty to play, no how nice they are. Also, Dead Eyes and Paralyzed? Please, I'm being serious. Those songs could've been written by a newbie. And Fear is the Weakness has nothing special, though I agree with A New Dawn, it's a shame that he lost all his inspiration after writing that song.

To be fair to Bjorn, SOAPF had some great melodies on it. I do wonder whether he had a point to prove on that album with Jesper leaving, and now he's back to being a lazy fuck.

Jesper was on STYE and ASOP... look what happened there :D I love the guy but the modern In Flames stuff he was a part of + The Resistance suggests he isn't especially interested in great melodies either right now.

I agree with both of your comments but, I'm talking about how hard to play are the songs that Bjorn wrote compared to those of Jesper. If I talk about SC, a child can play those songs with no effort.

Well, I'm not too bothered about how technical a song is to play. As long as the instruments are played competently and the melody is catchy that's usually enough for me :D

Lack of technicality is not the reason I hate SC. It's more the slow, ponderous speed of the songs, bad vocals (and vocal melodies which don't work with the instruments), repetitive song structures and lack of inspiration. I don't think Jesper or Bjorn are amazing technical guitar players, but both have a good ear for melody and it's a shame neither of them are using that ability at the moment.

Well, I'm not too bothered about how technical a song is to play. As long as the instruments are played competently and the melody is catchy that's usually enough for me :D

Lack of technicality is not the reason I hate SC. It's more the slow, ponderous speed of the songs, bad vocals (and vocal melodies which don't work with the instruments), repetitive song structures and lack of inspiration. I don't think Jesper or Bjorn are amazing technical guitar players, but both have a good ear for melody and it's a shame neither of them are using that ability at the moment.

Yeah, I love OFTW (favourite song ever) but, my point is that might be the reason why there are no more songs from CC, because they might hard to play to Bjorn (unless they add CC or YBSISE to the setlist so that weak people like Jesterslave can take a breath).:heh:

Trust me it was not no movement. But yes, like always, the back half of the floor is not moshing around and moving around as much (except for on OFTW), it's mostly middle-aged people that are on the back half. But I've never seen a concert where the whole floor is going crazy all the time, it's too many people. And not all songs of the set are really ''lets go crazy'' songs. Some of them are more headbang/nod sing along parts. And not everyone likes to move and run around (Me included mostly), I prefer just watching and headbanging, not like a maniac more like a natural reaction toe music and singing along. But of course on songs like OFTW, Take This Life, Trigger & The Mirror's Truth, it's pretty crazy moshing. I was just outside the moshing fronts, like the first 10 rows or something. You can't really see the movements that good on the video I linked. But I was there so I know :p You'll see on the DVD later ^^

The In Flames/Sepultura show I went to in London in 2006 was back to front people going crazy... awesome show :D not a Chosen Pessimist, Disconnected or Through Oblivion in sight.

Trust me it was not no movement. But yes, like always, the back half of the floor is not moshing around and moving around as much (except for on OFTW), it's mostly middle-aged people that are on the back half. But I've never seen a concert where the whole floor is going crazy all the time, it's too many people.

Middle age people? Are you sure it was IF?

And not all songs of the set are really ''lets go crazy'' songs.

Are you sure about this?:heh: