In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

The new Slayer is OK, but nothing special for me. Take Control is pretty cool.

The new Five Finger Death Punch sucks. There are a handful of good songs, but the rest is just a good ol' recipe. I mean, the good ones are based on that too, but at least they are catchy (like the riff in Wash It All Away), so there's that. FFDP is a great counter-example for In Flames, if you think about it. These guys are trying to do the same shit over and over again, but it's like they get more and more tired of it, and not even trying now. And tell me, oh tell me, after all of this, why do they need to include 14 songs on the record? It's filled with so many B-side material it's unbelievable. Who knows, maybe the fans are satisfied, but as someone who just simply likes them, it is disappointing, to say the least.

Oh wow, so early! At least if someone was worried if they'd do their next album in a sped up way (like SC), they can be relieved now. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony stayed with them (or them stayed with Sony?), seeing how the record sold OK (not sure about Europe, probably even better), and the tour seemed rather successful, not to mention the live DVD is not even out yet - probably drops during Christmas.

I highly doubt though that the record would drop anytime sooner than next summer, so I wonder when will they start hinting about it in interviews, so we can have some idea which direction they went now. Unless they'll only give us the "this will be our best record" bullshit.

You know I wasn't talking about quality. But here's a question I should've asked a long time ago: what IF record would please you? Answer within the realms of reality, so don't give me some crap like bringing back Jesper and making TJR2.

You know I wasn't talking about quality. But here's a question I should've asked a long time ago: what IF record would please you? Answer within the realms of reality, so don't give me some crap like bringing back Jesper and making TJR2.

You mean me?

I don't think In Flames is going to release anything again that will be near as good as what they've already done...
Can IF even release enjoyable music anymore?

I'm a fan of what they did, you guessed it, in the 90s.

Several songs on Sounds of a Playground Fading are just what should be expected of modern IF. Still high quality music, just different. But still heavy as well as melodic. Great blend.

Siren Charms was just a miss. Songs feel emotionless, effortless. No atmosphere. Feels forced and artificial. Things like guitar riffing with zero uniqueness and random synth electronics thrown into random parts of songs was just a disappointment.

Several songs on Sounds of a Playground Fading are just what should be expected of modern IF. Still high quality music, just different. But still heavy as well as melodic. Great blend.

Siren Charms was just a miss. Songs feel emotionless, effortless. No atmosphere. Feels forced and artificial. Things like guitar riffing with zero uniqueness and random synth electronics thrown into random parts of songs was just a disappointment.

Spot on. The albums are poles apart.

SOAPF sounds like the band trying to prove something, whereas SC sounds like the band is out of ideas and motivation.

Funnily enough, you almost had the exact same dynamic with Come Clarity and ASOP. A great return to form followed by an abysmal effort. Although in ASOP's defence, a combination of Anders' terrible vocals and poor production were the primary issues with that album. Better production and vocals would have made it passable. There's nothing that could improve SC.

Spot on. The albums are poles apart.

SOAPF sounds like the band trying to prove something, whereas SC sounds like the band is out of ideas and motivation.

Funnily enough, you almost had the exact same dynamic with Come Clarity and ASOP. A great return to form followed by an abysmal effort. Although in ASOP's defence, a combination of Anders' terrible vocals and poor production were the primary issues with that album. Better production and vocals would have made it passable. There's nothing that could improve SC.

Nothing can improve SC? I think some varying song structures and better verses can improve it. I don't think SC is that bad. I still prefer it over ASOP actually. But yeah, overall, it does feel very uninspired.

Sleepless Again, Alias, Mirror's Truth and Move Through Me(my fav) all off ASOP I feel are miles ahead of any song on Siren Charms.

As "emo" as Delight and Angers is, I still prefer that song over anything on Siren Charms.

And to be fair, I love more mellow hard rock/metal. I understand the sound IF were going for with Siren Charms, I really do. Just wasn't executed in the best way.

Nothing can improve SC? I think some varying song structures and better verses can improve it. I don't think SC is that bad. I still prefer it over ASOP actually. But yeah, overall, it does feel very uninspired.

You're talking about changing the album itself though. Any piece of music could be improved if you alter the structure itself.

Even with better production or better vocals, SC would still be very bland. The only way to save it would be to change the song structures, and at that point it isn't SC any more.

Wow, I'm really not a big fan of newer Soilwork stuff, but this latest album is absolute beast.

Shame on you IF! SC is countless times inferior in every aspect. This is how you do modern metal music, not that half-baked shitfest called SC.

Oh, and yes, with better production and singer, ASOP would probably rate as a decent album. Tons of cool riffs, melodies and ideas buried under layers of pseudosinging and commercialization. SOAPF is a strong effort but now that I think, elements of catastrophic SC, can already be heard.

As for SC, you couldn't scrape one decent song out of that thing. Pure nothingness, washed out riffs and ideas.

My favourite IF rip off was that Turkish band who ripped off the Cloud Connected video :D I think the song was about asking a girl's mother about something.

You mean me?

I don't think In Flames is going to release anything again that will be near as good as what they've already done...
Can IF even release enjoyable music anymore?

I'm a fan of what they did, you guessed it, in the 90s.
Then, I'm sorry, but why are you here exactly? This question is usually bandwagoned by the knee-jerk answer of "oh, so if someone doesn't like everything the band does, he should go to hell????", which is not what I mean. But even that elitist prick of a guy (forgot his name, only posts here a few times) guy liked R2R, though he might be ashamed of it all these years later, who knows. Anyway, you don't like what they are doing for ~15(!) years now, and you yourself think that the band is not capable of releasing anything new that you MIGHT like.

IF gets tons of shit from most of the people here, but you rarely see R2R, CC or SOAPF bashed into the ground. Hell, I never even read anyone saying anything bad about CC. So, yeah... maybe give those records another go?
That's a critic I can actually get behind. The record is played very safe. There are a few interesting elements, but none of them are expanded upon. There's a random ass When The World Explodes, but it's - imo - too weak to appeal to those who wanted some heavier stuff. It's also annoying how they waste a female vocal for that track.

Then, I'm sorry, but why are you here exactly?
Anyway, you don't like what they are doing for ~15(!) years now, and you yourself think that the band is not capable of releasing anything new that you MIGHT like.

Well, I visit this place because I like what In Flames was "back in the day", that's allowed, right? Basically you're saying that if someone doesn't like certain bands recent material, that person should not visit the bands forum?

Maybe, just maybe, me and some other people come here because their past recordings are good?

I go to Metallica forum too, maybe I shouldn't, because when was the last time they were good, when did they even a release anything interesting?

Well, I visit this place because I like what In Flames was "back in the day", that's allowed, right? Basically you're saying that if someone doesn't like certain bands recent material, that person should not visit the bands forum?
That is exactly what I said I do not mean, which you typed out almost word by word. Everyone can visit whatever the hell they want, but I'M willing to bet that 90% of your posts add nothing the discussion (and the remaining 10% are off, so not even those), because all you say is:
- IF is shit now.
- DAE think IF is shit now?
- IF was better back then.
- IF would be good if they were as good as they were back then.
- Jesper is a good guitar player, yes? Yes.
- What do oyu call IF after 2000? Joke.
- Why does IF exist?

I mean, I'm pretty sure everyone got the message. What else do you expect from these posts? You can read back the earlier pages of this thread, which had quite a few pages filled with pure cancer, but even those arguments had some depth.

Others share your opinion that "old IF" was much better, but you don't see them complaining in almost literally every post why new IF is not old IF.