In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Fuck me that sounds like a great song.

Sounds extremely in the vain of something off The Chainheart Machine

I love how unpredictable this album is. It just cannot cease to split and break and the pace is ever changing.

It's like a regular Soilwork album but cut thin and shuffled. There are blastbeats in almost every song but still both cleans and growls in every song.

It's not one fast paced song, one calm song, one brutal song, etc. It's 45 seconds of brutal, then 30 seconds of calm, then another brutal 45 seconds, then fast paced for a minute, etc... And even a mix of calm and brutal with lyric clean vocals on blastbeats. It's such a perfect mess.

If you take All Along Echoing Paths for instance. You have old school death metal riffs, tons of blastbeats, a very modern melodic pre-chorus with guitar melodies in it, a very catchy double chorus with tons of melancholic cleans, etc. All that shit only in a single fucking song. And I love how the chorus hits your face without prior notice.

There are things that are not supposed to fit but that fit surprisingly well, like this weird totally pop-ish bridge in the begining of The Phantom. That very modern pop-ish bridge is surrounded by old school melodeath riffing and it somehow fits perfectly. There are quite a lot of good surprises in this album and after a lot of listens, I still just can't choose which songs I would like to see live because I'd like to see all of them. I still just can't chose a favorite.

It looks like they really found a new recipe that works and they not only redefined themselves, they defined a brand new kind of melodeath. I mean, just wait for the army of American wannabes playing death metal with clean vocals on blastbeats. Amongst the bunch of old school players (At The Gates, In Flames Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork), these guys are by far the ones that sound the best right now. Dark Tranquillity somehow managed to get incredibly boring and unsurprising, there is a lot of In Flames bashing and they are not in their top shape right now. With Soilwork, it's quite different. They definitely never been better than now, since The Living Infinite, the Live in the Heart of Helsinki and now The Ride Majestic. I'm really looking forward to where they are in, let's say, three albums from now, but I bet it's gonna be very interesting.

Agree and

Amongst the bunch of old school players (At The Gates, In Flames Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork), these guys are by far the ones that sound the best right now. Dark Tranquillity somehow managed to get incredibly boring and unsurprising, there is a lot of In Flames bashing and they are not in their top shape right now. With Soilwork, it's quite different. They definitely never been better than now, since The Living Infinite, the Live in the Heart of Helsinki and now The Ride Majestic. I'm really looking forward to where they are in, let's say, three albums from now, but I bet it's gonna be very interesting.

Totally agree.

And if there is someone here who still didn't check "Skyline Whispers" by The Night Flight Orchestra, do it right now. David and Björn not only write most of Soilwork stuff, they also write most of Night Flight stuff and they excel at classic rock just as they do in metal. Björn and David entered the studio for Soilwork right after leaving the studio for Night Flight, and the two albums they just released this year are mindblowing jewels. They are aliens, really.

And if there is someone here who still didn't check "Skyline Whispers" by The Night Flight Orchestra, do it right now. David and Björn not only write most of Soilwork stuff, they also write most of Night Flight stuff and they excel at classic rock just as they do in metal. Björn and David entered the studio for Soilwork right after leaving the studio for Night Flight, and the two albums they just released this year are mindblowing jewels. They are aliens, really.

Couldn't have asked for a better songwriting duo. The fact that many of these new songs harken back to the olden days is also an effect of Björn writing so many of the Chainheart songs.

Add in Sylvain, Dirk and Sven writing a sizeable number of songs -- you end up with an amazing team. Dirk even mentioned that he has been writing a lot recently (they didn't make it for The Ride Majestic) -- but we should probably expect a big contribution from him moving forwards.

Very exciting! Now just another 2y wait. :)

Amorphis' new album is also incredible. Wonderful blend of melody, sick riffing and great mix of gutturals & clean singing.

Thx for the hookup Plain. One more day until it comes out and I can't wait a day longer for this masterpiece after preordering it what feels like so long ago.

http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/fmSZSjjg/file.html

^Tell me if you guys like the main riff that kicks off the song "Bad Blood" as much as I do. So headbang-worthy.

The entire album is just another great melod(eath)ic metal album. A bit more prog but so unique as well. Their guitar melodies are always awesome and both of the vocalist's growls & singing are beautifully insane.

Now listening to "Under the Red Cloud" and it sounds good. The only problem I find is that, sometimes, they remind me of Dark Tranquillity, and I'm not a fan of Dark Tranquillity.

Deff see where you could hear some DT in there. Amorphis isn't exactly melodeath but they have many qualities of a melodic (death) metal band of these days as well as their unique folk and progressive touch. Still a lot of good guitar riffs and melodies.

Damn, The Ride Majestic might be better than Stabbing The Drama. Wooo! Petrichor by Sulphur and Shining Lights are extremeeeeeely neat.

A long time ago, when Jester Slave was young and innocent, his longest kept MSN profile picture was the album cover for Stabbing The Drama. I listened the shit out of Nerve and the title song, but Weapon Of Vanity and Observation Slave are exceptional as well.

I'm actually out of the loop on the Soilwork-hate thing, so I have no idea which of their albums are "TJR-Whoracle" and which are "STYE-ASOP", but they always sounded rather consistent to me. Sworn to a Great Divide is probably the odd one, at least for me.

A long time ago, when Jester Slave was young and innocent, his longest kept MSN profile picture was the album cover for Stabbing The Drama. I listened the shit out of Nerve and the title song, but Weapon Of Vanity and Observation Slave are exceptional as well.

I'm actually out of the loop on the Soilwork-hate thing, so I have no idea which of their albums are "TJR-Whoracle" and which are "STYE-ASOP", but they always sounded rather consistent to me. Sworn to a Great Divide is probably the odd one, at least for me.

So, the history starts with you. If you want to know, then do a little research.

Steelbath Suicide -> A Predator's Portrait (TJR - Clayman. Amazing albums, the classics)

Natural Born Chaos & Figure Number Five (Good, but different and freefalling, think Reroute to Remain. NBC better than #5)

Stabbing the Drama & Sworn to a Great Divide (Rock bottom, accessible and formulaic. Still fun and decently good though, some great songs)

The Panic Broadcast -> The Ride Majestic (Rebirth and skyrocketing excellence)

It's been ages since I last listened to anything from The Panic Broadcast, but what I remember is that it was quite heavy, and not nearly as melodic as The Ride Majestic for example.