In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

This doesn't sound like and IF album, more like an Anders/Bjorn side project. Also Anders clean vocals have become so weak and predictable. And the lyrics. Without listening to se whole songs I could guess where the song title is gonna be in almost every song lyrics. I'm starting to feel that this is the first time not buying an IF album (how I miss Jesper now).

You're right, maybe not. Sounded better than the radio rip though.

Also guys don't forget that there's two bonus tracks. I don't remember who but someone said it was 2 of the stronger(strongest?) songs on the album, and that I think Become the Sky had a very good ''melodic death metal'' like riff, we'll see. But I think they were described as two more faster and aggressive songs overall anyway.

Yeah, I think guys from MSF described them as two strongest and most "In Flames" songs of the bunch.

The Chase [5:01] : This track has got a more dynamic range with a great modern Melodeath lead and harsh vocals from the start. Singing then goes more Hard Rock and the choruses are quite soft. Rhythm section is uptight. Then comes a solo which is longer, more melodic and better played than all the previous ones. There’s a one-minute outro on synths and piano.

Become The Sky [4:01] : The grooviest track on the album. It’s much closer to what we might expect from a modern In Flames. Strong rhythm section, powerful riffing and a great dynamic overall. Verses are often drum-driven which gives kind of an explosive tone. As for the vocals it goes from 30 Seconds To Mars-like clean chroruses to the usual scream. The solo is more common but still is smoothier and better written.

They did a good job reviewing Filthered Truth.

Filtered Truth [3:33] : It sounds like Punk Rock in the beginning with clean arrhythmic riffs. Verses are heavier and the pre-chorus is like the one in « Disconnected ». Then the chorus is totally exploding with harsh vocals and catchy melodic lead. Verses are more common. This time the bridge has got a more complex solo (still with Wah-wah) ending in a dual harmonized lead. When it’s time for the chorus to kick again, it is harsher and more powerful. That is the more dynamic and uptempo track on the album. You should keep that in mind for when the single is out.

This doesn't sound like and IF album, more like an Anders/Bjorn side project. Also Anders clean vocals have become so weak and predictable. And the lyrics. Without listening to se whole songs I could guess where the song title is gonna be in almost every song lyrics. I'm starting to feel that this is the first time not buying an IF album (how I miss Jesper now).

I'm absolutely certain I won't be buying this album. Any decent riffs are basically ruined by Anders' god awful singing. Funnily enough that's also the reason I never purchased ASOP - an album which also actually has some decent riffs and melodies, but is often ruined by the vocals (and those lyrics... those fucking emo teenage girl lyrics).

I'm absolutely certain I won't be buying this album. Any decent riffs are basically ruined by Anders' god awful singing. Funnily enough that's also the reason I never purchased ASOP - an album which also actually has some decent riffs and melodies, but is often ruined by the vocals (and those lyrics... those fucking emo teenage girl lyrics).

In fact I like the ASOP album except for Anders weak vocals and lyrics. But I like most of the guitar riffs in there. Also comes to mind the lyrics from Sober And Irrelevant, which I always thought to be the feelings Anders have at the time about his role in the band. Oddly enough, one tag Jesper has on his facebook page is #soberandrelevant.

ASOP was dragged down by bad vocals, bad lyrics and bad production (that guitar sound is so boring and washed out).

Just taken a look at the reaction to Through Oblivion on N'Flamez FB page... heh. They seem to be pissing off their entire fanbase with this shit.

I'd seriously rather Anders put In Flames on hiatus and started a side project if he wanted to do alt-rock music, but he knows as well as anybody that if this music didn't have "In Flames" attached to it nobody would give a fuck. And maybe that's the best way to judge the "new" tracks - if they were released under a totally different name, would anyone be interested? Would the music impose itself on people? Is there something fresh and new here that would give people cause to listen to the entire song or inspire them to buy the album?

ASOP was dragged down by bad vocals, bad lyrics and bad production (that guitar sound is so boring and washed out).

That's truth. But, at least for me, it still sounded like an IF album.

Lets make things clear. These comments on their Facebook page are disgusting and they don't represent what people think of the song. On Youtube, you can see that 1020 people like it and 354 don't.

On Facebook, on all released songs literally it's like 80% negative comments lol. Same with Rusted Nail at first, but look at the video now, now it's only around 10% dislikes which is standard for everything almost.

It's just that the people with negative opinions is the most vocal people. Which is understandable in a way. And it's not like Through Oblivion is a new song either it's over 1month old

Just taken a look at the reaction to Through Oblivion on N'Flamez FB page... heh. They seem to be pissing off their entire fanbase with this shit.

Well, I honestly think this will iritate even N'Flamez-fuk-yea! crew, and most of the old fanbase will lose interest completely. Until next album. Still, I think the majority of the fanbase will swallow even this. We have countless examples like this in history of music. Metallica failed to release half-decent album for 20+ years, and they are still going strong. Truth be told, unlike IF, they are not running away from basing setlists on older stuff.

SOAPF was step in right direction, SC is just... Bunch of old dudes doing Anders solo project. Pop version of Passenger with slight hard rock influences (Bjorn, I guess).

I'd seriously rather Anders put In Flames on hiatus and started a side project if he wanted to do alt-rock music, but he knows as well as anybody that if this music didn't have "In Flames" attached to it nobody would give a fuck. And maybe that's the best way to judge the "new" tracks - if they were released under a totally different name, would anyone be interested? Would the music impose itself on people? Is there something fresh and new here that would give people cause to listen to the entire song or inspire them to buy the album?

Bravo, my friend! 101% truth.

How many people would go out and buy ticket for Anders' electropop/altrock band live show?

90 minutes of "Myyyy destinatiooon, myyyy missioooon..."

This is pretty entertaining. Personally, I liked the samples and I like Filtered Truth. I think if most bands that I listen to strayed this far different with each album, I wouldn't like them as much. Somehow I always like an In Flames album (except for ASOP really) though. I used to think when Linkin Park changed after Meteora they should have changed their name since it was completely different, but now I don't see it that way. It's the same band, just making whatever music they like. I can easily see why a lot of people won't like this album, but then again I can see why someone might not like any one of IF's albums because they are always different. Would I prefer more albums closer to the older ones or even Come Clarity? Hell yeah, I prefer when In Flames is heavy for most of an album and when Anders screams his face off. But I do still like almost everything they've put out quite a bit. I'll end this with saying that even if lyrically the album ends up being close to ASOP, at least Anders is using a wider range of vocals on this one. I think he really used just the one scream on ASOP the whole time.

Just noticed this: I guess most people will argue that Clayman to Reroute is the biggest difference between consecutive albums. Now it sounds like SOAPF to Siren Charms will be another huge difference. My point is just that this makes a pattern that they put out 5 albums that differ a good amount, and then on the 6th album it is extremely different.

Damn Filtered Truth is so awesome. Slowly but surely getting used to the somewhat weird first verse now also, I'm really digging the track. Definitely an 8-8.5/10 at the moment.

It all comes down to the following: People like different kinds of music. Some want hard songs like ''Take This Life''. Some want slow songs like ''Alias''. In Flames should create the kind of music that THEY feel like. With THEY, I mean In Flames, not the record label. While most In Flames fans expect heavy stuff, it may not be what the In Flamers had in mind for every single track on the album. Again, it comes down to what In Flames wanted, and what you want. If In Flames had done what you had wanted, then you should define which one of all of the YOU in the world that would be. - If you don't like it, don't listen. Express your opinions and dislike in whatever adult manner you like (from calling them homos to whatever else, because clearly that is the adult thing to do), then get over it.

This doesn't mean that I like what I hear. I still find Rusted Nail an almost complete atrocious piece(s) of... "music". The chorus is great, but it is very badly produced and I dislike it a great bit. Know what I will do about that?
I will not listen to it.

Good for you. In the meantime, the rest of us will continue to express our opinions however we see fit.

It says:

Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > In Flames > In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

So this is a good place for vivisection of the whole album, band and every individual song, me thinks.

Bunch of guys discussing In Flames and SC. If I wanted to keep my impressions for myself, I wouldn't be a member of this forum.

So, back on topic. Been listening Filtered Truth more, and the song kind of grew on me. I still dislike all that punk-rock-HIM vibe and verse whining by my favorite vocalist, but it's a decent song, especially compared to the rest of the stuff we heard so far.

When THAT riff kicks in... they've done a good job.