In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

I have to agree a bit about the pop-rockish vibe I'm getting off this album. There's good poppy rock stuff, but I'm getting sounds of the bad side of pop rock. It feels like a confusing blend of that, metal, and electronica/industrial.

I really loved the experimental side of a lot of the songs, but I feel like a lot of it is trying too hard to be catchy, and ending up not being catchy ironically.

Those really quiet clean verses in some songs like Siren Charms are fucking awesome, but some of choruses are kinda weak. I don't know what to really say about this.
The choruses remind me of Come Clarity but those were more well executed and catchy than this.

I'll give it another listen when I'm not tired as shit. It definitely isn't as hard hitting and doesn't stick like songs on SOAPF. SOAPF was "softer" but it was constructed and executed so fucking well.

Yeah, scores are high, but most of these songs are not terrible (like 2,3/10, believe me I've heard worse) they are just average and boring.

Anders did ruin album, both with his influence and vocals. But even when you take out his vocals, album is not that great. ASOP had bunch or riffs and stuff, SC doesn't. When a guitar riff or real melody kicks in it's a surprise. They are that rare.

I must admit this is a new experience for me. New IF album is out. I gave it a few spins and I don't want to listen to it any more. Not even individual songs (damn, every song has some fucked up parts).

Even with ASOP that wasn't the case (it was good for a few months). When SOAPF was out, it was on my speakers all day long.

From recollection I also had ASOP playing for a few months before I realised it was diabolical. Buried in that awful production and under the horrendous vocals is some good music I guess. I kind of figured from listening to the leaked tracks (Rusted Fail, Through Oblivion, Filtered Truth, Everything's Gone, When the World Explodes) that this was going to be a very uninspired album, but with a band like In Flames you always hold out hope that they'll surprise you. I expected SOAPF to be a fucking failure after ASOP and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

Sounds like this is many steps backwards, and I fear it's only going to get worse from here.

The choruses remind me of Come Clarity but those were more well executed and catchy than this.

You're a sinner and an apostathe. CC is ten thousand times better than this... I have no more words to describe this thing.

In Plain View 7/10 - Nice riffs and best chorus of the album. Along with Filtered truth, only song I enjoy.

Everything's gone 3/10 - Mindless wannabe heavy garbage. Reminds me of songs like F(r)iend or In search for I from StYE, but this is much worse.

Paralyzed 5/10 - Decent song in core, chorus is nice. But Anders completely ruins it.

Through Oblivion 6/10 - decent semi-balad. Verse is boring, but the chorus is pretty atmospheric and has nice electronics.

With Eyes Wide Open 1/10 - Worst shit on the album. Liberation-like track but it's nowhere near its predecessor. It's so boring it's unbelievable, I've been listening to it like 5 minutes ago and I can't think of a single melody from it.

When the world Explodes 3/10 - Generic riff, terrible Anders, boring chorus.

Siren Charms 5/10 - I actually skipped this song and started writing about When the world explodes :lol:. Yep, that's how forgettable this song is. Not a complete shit like some other songs, just boring and forgettable

Rusted Nail 6/10 - Same case as title track. Just the chorus is better.

Dead Eyes 5/10 - similar as With Eyes wide open, but not so awful. Some nice riffs, mainly the solo-ish one in middle of the song.

Monsters in the ballroom 4/10 - Another fucking boring and forgettable song, it's boring even writing about it...

Filtered Truth 7/10 - like I said, along with the opener, best song of the album. Fast, catchy - is it that hard to compose a song like this?

Average gives me 4.7/10. That's too much, I would give it hardly 3.5/10. Vocals are awful, but that was said million times already, plus it doesn't feel like an album, just a collection of some 11 random songs.

Worst IF album by far, even worse that RtR and ASoP. And I say that as a person, who likes StYE and SoaPF a lot.

btw. I agree, it's almost like some heavier pop-rock, just with some metal riffs. I don't see what are they thinking. No, you'll never break outside the metal world, guys, just deal with it!

I'm curious to see Krofius' reaction to this... sounds like he's going to need all of his fanboy powers to sugar-coat this steaming turd.

In Plain View - Awesome intro, average verses, random chorus (it could be better). 6.5/10
Everything Is Gone - One of my favorites. Nice riffs, good chorus, average solo. 7/10
Paralyzed - I didnt like this one. Boring intro,riffs,chorus. Nice solo but not good song. 4/10
Through Oblivion - One of my favorites. Verses are good, chorus is so catchy. 7.5/10
With Eyes Wide Open - Nice intro, but cant really hear the guitars after that (Maybe its because song quality). Anders using weird cleans on verses but they're awesome on this one. Chorus is massive. Song have little guitar break and chorus after that, I really enjoyed. One of my favorites. 9/10
Siren Charms - Starts with nice guitar intro. Common Anders cleans on verses. Awesome chorus. Second verse sounds good than the first. Nice solo. 7/10
When The World Explodes - It was really weird when I first listened it. I didnt like the chorus but now it's seems pretty good. I like Anders growls on verses. It would be good to hear this one live. 7.5/10
Rusted Nail - SOAPF alike intro. Wah solo is average. First verse on the song is really really bad. If you can continue listen after that bad verse, the song becomes better. Chorus is pretty good. After one chorus the song becomes better i think. At the last chorus you can see yourself screaming the chorus haha (That's what happened to me) 5.5/10
Dead Eyes - Really digging guitars on this song, pretty good. Verses are average. Chorus a little bit confusing. First it seems bad but you get used to it. Solo is awesome. I guess its a synth playing at the solo, which I loved it. 7.5/10
Monsters In The Ballroom - Agreed with A88 on this. The songs intro is like it's taken from STYE. Average song, weak solo. 6/10
Filtered Truth - One of my favorites on the album. Intro and verses are pretty good. One of my favorites chorus on the album. 8.5/10

Well this was my first listening and I think it was pretty good. My overall is 7.

I like how A88 called death metal riffs nu metal riffs. Pretty insulting.

Where?

My God, the gayness of Dead Eyes chorus... It's like something former Backstreet boys member gone pop/rock would have done.

Well, some proof is needed.

Otherwise. I wonder what Anders have been listening at for the past few years. You know. There's this interview in wivh they're asked about. And Bjorn is like: "I like the new Mastodon". And Anders like "Yeah, I heard a song". While he's probably thinking "I like new Beyoncé. I wonder if I can move my hips like her for the next video".

Svářeč;10896922 said:
Listen to random Nickelback song -> listen to Dead Eyes chorus. Same pop-rock, just with distorted guitars.

I must say that I first thought of Audioslave and 30 Seconds to Mars. NOt that they sound alike, but it came to mind. Sorry if someone takes offence.