In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

And I still see Everything's gone as a new metal song. Above all the post chorus part (the "everything's gone" line). It feels like taken from a "how to make new metal" tutorial.

Oh, and I wonder where did reviewers find melodic death metal on this album? Maybe they were listening to something else.

Come Clarity was arguably In Flames' last proper "metal" album. They drifted into a rock-metal fusion for the next two albums and are apparently firmly in the pop-rock camp now.

I don't think they've been passionate about creating genuine metal since 2006, so it's maybe not a surprise that their attempts at making metal songs sound so uninspired. It's just a shame their pop-rock stuff is equally shit.

I will have to wait another 5h until i can listen to the album. And you dont have to worry about me de4life ;) And a88 your ratings compared to your reviews dont add up lol. You're rating them way to high compared to your descriptions of the songs :p

Come Clarity was arguably In Flames' last proper "metal" album. They drifted into a rock-metal fusion for the next two albums and are apparently firmly in the pop-rock camp now.

I don't think they've been passionate about creating genuine metal since 2006, so it's maybe not a surprise that their attempts at making metal songs sound so uninspired. It's just a shame their pop-rock stuff is equally shit.

Well it is obvious that two most influential persons in the band are not into metal anymore.

Right way to go was doing solo projects. Anders could do Dep.Mode clone with his producer, Bjorn could do hard rock band with his producer and wah pedal. And the rest of the guys... well they aren't that imporant. If Jesper was there, he could go and do his tr00 metal HC stuff also.

Now we have Anders band, with Bjorn doing music with his influences, 3 guys playing their instruments, two producers having big impact on overall sound and record label and fan expectations for a moderately heavy but short and catchy tunes. All that under "IN FLAMES" name.

Result: SC - half baked electro rock album with strong pop and metal moments. Confused little piece of modern radio friendly music.

Electronic driven album from a band that has no keyboard player or DJ or whatever. Album with minimal guitar content from a band that has two (metal) guitar players.

Album dominated by vocals from a band with terrible singer, especially out of studio. Album with best part done by a producer, electronics guy and an female opera singer - all of which are not part of the band.

Can't wait to hear how terrible and empty will all of this sound live. Or "live" (as it will be heavy dependent on using prerecorded tracks).

I will have to wait another 5h until i can listen to the album. And you dont have to worry about me de4life ;) And a88 your ratings compared to your reviews dont add up lol. You're rating them way to high compared to your descriptions of the songs :p

Bro, 5/10 is not high. Five is average and forgettable as it gets. Or in case of some songs middle ground between good and awful parts of the song.

Now we have Anders band, with Bjorn doing music with his influences, 3 guys playing their instruments, two producers having big impact on overall sound and record label and fan expectations for a moderately heavy but short and catchy tunes. All that under "IN FLAMES" name.

Pretty much sums up modern In Flames.

I like how they use the excuse of there being "too many guitar tracks" on the older songs to play live, yet plough a shit load of electronic elements into their songs despite not even having a fucking keyboard player. If you can pipe prerecorded keys into the live set why could you not do the same with guitar tracks? All this bullshit about "we write it to play live" and they purposefully include an instrument that no band member plays :D dickheads.

Where?

My God, the gayness of Dead Eyes chorus... It's like something former Backstreet boys member gone pop/rock would have done.

Everything's Gone. Sounds like a Pestilence song to me.

I like how they use the excuse of there being "too many guitar tracks" on the older songs to play live, yet plough a shit load of electronic elements into their songs despite not even having a fucking keyboard player. If you can pipe prerecorded keys into the live set why could you not do the same with guitar tracks? All this bullshit about "we write it to play live" and they purposefully include an instrument that no band member plays :D dickheads.

:D

This. So it's terrible sin to omit one or two harmonies per song, but it is perfectly OK to have bunch of keyboards and fill all the vocals and choruses with effects.

They should have hired a keyboard player instead of Engelin.

Oh, and they never seem to play complicated songs. Like, did you ever head live Suburban Me or A New Dawn? Nope...

Everything's Gone. Sounds like a Pestilence song to me.

No man, I've said EG has some death metal riffs (it does) and it has some nu metal riffs.

And I wouldn't compare it to Pestilence, really.

Well it is obvious that two most influential persons in the band are not into metal anymore.

Right way to go was doing solo projects. Anders could do Dep.Mode clone with his producer, Bjorn could do hard rock band with his producer and wah pedal. And the rest of the guys... well they aren't that imporant. If Jesper was there, he could go and do his tr00 metal HC stuff also.

Result: SC - half baked electro rock album with strong pop and metal moments. Confused little piece of modern radio friendly music.

Electronic driven album from a band that has no keyboard player or DJ or whatever. Album with minimal guitar content from a band that has two (metal) guitar players.

Album dominated by vocals from a band with terrible singer, especially out of studio. Album with best part done by a producer, electronics guy and an female opera singer - all of which are not part of the band.

Can't wait to hear how terrible and empty will all of this sound live. Or "live" (as it will be heavy dependent on using prerecorded tracks).

Bro, 5/10 is not high. Five is average and forgettable as it gets. Or in case of some songs middle ground between good and awful parts of the song.

You stole my thoughts.

Yes, some similarity.

Basically I think EG has two DM riffs. Fast intro riff and the verse riff. But the overall feeling is closer to Slipknot than to Pestilence, or Obituary, or whatever...

Yes, some similarity.

Basically I think EG has two DM riffs. Fast intro riff and the verse riff. But the overall feeling is closer to Slipknot than to Pestilence, or Obituary, or whatever...

I would say that, actually, some Slipknot songs are closer to death metal (being more precise, have riffs closer to death metal) than EG.

Yes, some similarity.

Slipknot is more alternative and groove metal than nu metal now.

I would say that, actually, some Slipknot songs are closer to death metal (being more precise, have riffs closer to death metal) than EG.

That intro riff to their song Sulfer reminds me of early At The Gates so much for some reason.

Slipknot is more alternative and groove metal than nu metal now.

That intro riff to their song Sulfer reminds me of early At The Gates so much for some reason.

Right. But I was thinking of the album title track All Hope Is Gone.

Been lurking around here for a while, voyeuristically reading your posts.

Just had to jump in and note how terribly disappointing this album is.
ASOP, which I've considered their worst effort this far (due to Anders, mainly), is honestly a masterpiece in comparison.
I can actually remember a damn chorus or riff from that effort.

Apart from parts of Filtered Truth, chorus in When the World Explodes, and a piece here or there, there is absolutely nothing memorable on this release. It's all a meandering, whining wall of nothing.
They note that they want to convey emotion; well -- they've completely and utterly failed.

There's a few good parts here and there (in particular the mid-end melodic section of Dead Eyes), but they're incredibly rare.
The worst part of it is that there is some genuinely decently composed music (albeit nothing special) on some of the songs; but it's just massacred by Anders.

Terrible.

Excellent first post :D

I should be able to listen to this abomination in about an hour. Not looking forward to it.