In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Throw in the other dude you were responding to who said that extreme metal is "childish"...? In reverse order: I've never heard that argument. Childish how? Because of the vocals I presume? Uh well Go listen to pre-Clayman IF. Those are extreme metal vocals, not far off at all from Jeff Walker or even Chris Barns. The main differentiations comes in pitch and register. So, that notion is completely, well, insane I guess is the best word. Extreme metal is home to the best musicians in the heavy metal genre. So, you're missing out on some great musicianship and music.

You should fully read my posts before replying. I'm not talking about extreme metal or growls. I'm talking about this:

Climbing
Heights unimagined unattained
To drop bodies from the sky
Falling
Alive in mid air moving fast
Heads exploding on the ground
Throwing
Corrupted souls in front of trains
Just to watch the bodies fly
Grinning
At the site of shredded innards
Brains exploded all around.

Do you recognise it?

And I'm talking about doing covers when a corpse eats the pussy from another corpse, that's disgusting and extremily childish.

You know, that's cool when you're 15. Then it's just boring.

Play it too loud. Way too much high-end. It's awful mixing.

After listening to the album twice I can unequivocally state that it is a pile of junk. I even went back and listened to SOAPF for the first time in a while, after Clayman shit his pants and yelled at me in the other thread (I wonder which came first, the pants shitting or the yelling?). SOAPF is still an awful album for a band of In Flames caliber but it is way fucking better than Siren Charms. God Damn this is a horrible record.

I like it when bands stick to their roots. You can still stick to your roots and evolve/progress at the same time. Many bands do/have done it: Nevermore, At The Gates, Threshold, Decapitation, Lunar Aurora, Omnium Gatherum (to name a new from various genres). So the argument that 'bands change and that's that' does not hold. There was a recent interview with Bravewords/ATG and Tompa put it nicely:

BraveWords: So how would you describe this album to fans that are chomping at the bit to hear this!

Anders: “It lands in some kind of familiarity with the old At The Gates, with a fresh costume.”

Tomas: “When Anders says it is a fresh costume, it’s not like it’s nu-metal. There’s no cleaning singing on the album.”

BraveWords: The production is sick. Talk about working with Fredrik Nordström at Studio Fredman (In Flames, Arch Enemy, Dimmu Borgir) and then with Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios (Opeth, Amon Amarth, Kreator)

Tomas: “We were very meticulous. Me and Anders were actually finished with the whole writing process - music and lyrics - in January. It was just details from then on and we went into he studio in June, so you can imagine what kind of detail went on for that long. But I would say for the money grab thing - I’m still holding onto that question - it would be easy to do another Slaughter Of The Soul, but have a little bit more melody on the choruses. That would be a money grab, right? It’s darker, almost more evil. The heavier parts are heavier, the faster parts are faster.

I mean that speaks for itself. Any bands with an ounce of integrity would say the same thing and everyone here knows it.

The interviewer also asked Tompa a great question and one I have been pondering for a while now: he asked whether the band was trying to make an album at least as good as Surgical Steel (which is probably the best extreme metal record of the past 2 or maybe 3 years). And you know what he said? His answer floored me. Here is the exchange:

BraveWords: Of course you are fans of this genre as well, so were you paying attention to the Carcass record? The Black Sabbath record? I can see it in your faces that you knew this had to be as good as the Carcass record. Right? Artistic failure was not an option…

Anders: “Our aim was higher.”

How fucking awesome is that to hear? Bands that still have competitive juices flowing. Can you imagine how hard they must have worked to TOP SS? Even better is the fact that they want to! So much better for everyone when there's competition. Bands progress as musicians and writers (WHILE sticking to their sound) and fans get rewarded with better music.

Yeah we know you do. And that answer floored you? What the fuck? Lol. How that answer floored you is mind-boggling. It's like being floored by a band saying this is their best record so far.

I can agree on one thing, lots of good bands stick to their roots but evolve at the same time. That doesn't mean you have to do that. Both our opinions are as valid, but since you yourself just said you like when bands stick to their roots, then just what are you even doing here?

Lets start. Today I'm gonna talk about In Plain View, as, of course, is the first song of the album. So I'm gonna dissect it.

But, before starting lets say sometihing. My dearest Clay-Man and ciko_gfb, this is just my personal opinion about the songs, if you start to admit it instead of taking my opinions as if I'm trying to give a master class, then, please, read it with an open mind, if you can't, please don't say bullshit about what I write in here.

-The song starts with some keyboard samples that leads to the guitar intro. My thoughts about this intro (remember it's my own personal opinion), is that they have the main riff but didn't know how to do the intro. So the keyboards came to save the situation.
-Then the main riff of the song, powerful, ends with a double guitar solo that could have been a little longer. I must say at this point that this riff reminds me of two previous songs, Leeches from CC and Move Through Me from ASOP (remember again it's my personal opinion).
-I said the main riff ended. Well I was wrong. What comes next is a palm mute variation of that riff as Anders do his intro with the vocals, for me not good nor very bad (later I will talk about my feelings for Anders vocals trough the album). Then again comes the first part of the main riff with an Anders that seems to be singing a different song from what the band is playing (I really think his vocals here doesn't fit with the music).
-Now comes the brisge of the song, the guitar melody looks like forced to joint the main riff with the chorus, but, surprisingly, I found that the riff it's a variation from what's to come.
-Because the chorus it's a mixture of heavy riffs with a solo guitar that traces the lines to Anders Vocals, and this melody it's that to which I talked before. I don't really like the vocals here, it's some look-I-can-be-agressive from Anders, but It feels like forced (to me). Also, the background music has some reminiscence to the chorus from I'm the Highway.
-Again the variation from the Main riff and the chorus with a formula that's been overused by the band from the past albums.
-Then, where there should be a solo guitar, they do some melodic riff that (I first) can remind me of the CC sounds, but, when listened clamly it's, surprise, another variation from the main riff :(.
-This part ends with a bridge whose only purpose seems to give entry again for Anders and back to the main riff, a repetition from the first structure of the song, since Anders entry to the Chorus, repeated two times and the end of the song.

My opinion, not much effort as for the music composition and structure, lack of originallity, overused patterns and vocals that could be much better.

As for Anders lyrics. They're not bad but doesn't say anything to me. And a pattern that seems to repeat throughout the album. He doesn't seem to care for the metrics or the rhymes, two things that, from my point of view, use to help the vocal melodies.

Yeah we know you do. And that answer floored you? What the fuck? Lol. How that answer floored you is mind-boggling. It's like being floored by a band saying this is their best record so far.

I can agree on one thing, lots of good bands stick to their roots but evolve at the same time. That doesn't mean you have to do that. Both our opinions are as valid, but since you yourself just said you like when bands stick to their roots, then just what are you even doilng here?

I'll cut you some slack on this one. It's the Internet, so you can't hear tone of voice, but I was being facetious. What I'm doing here is talking about In Flamez...?

You should fully read my posts before replying. I'm not talking about extreme metal or growls. I'm talking about this:

Do you recognise it?

And I'm talking about doing covers when a corpse eats the pussy from another corpse, that's disgusting and extremily childish.

You know, that's cool when you're 15. Then it's just boring.

That's from Cannibal Corpse, "High Velocity Impact Spatter", yeah? I'm quite sure of it.

I reviewed the album. It is, without a doubt, the best overall metal album to come out this year.

Guitar work is insane, lyrics are very well pronounced and gives off chills (at least for me). The atmosphere is complete horror. The start of "High Velocity Impact Spatter" is just hauntingly eerie and extremely uncomfortable.

Favorite tracks would have to be Icepick Lobotomy, The Murderer's Pact, Kill or Become, Hollowed Bodies, and lastly, and probably my absolute favorite, Funeral Cremation.

Anders is getting some fucking awesome ink, seems like it will be a cool project.
10712789_716144805106865_5627547758325672814_n.jpg

10352329_716144948440184_9043880159057553127_n.jpg

The heart one is definitely inspired by the "Black Gives Way To Blue" by Alice In Chains artwork.

Anders is getting some fucking awesome ink, seems like it will be a cool project.
10712789_716144805106865_5627547758325672814_n.jpg

10352329_716144948440184_9043880159057553127_n.jpg

The heart one is definitely inspired by the "Black Gives Way To Blue" by Alice In Chains artwork.

I don't see your point with Alice In Chains. It's just how a human heart looks. I see inspiration from the "Come Clarity" artwork and from Satellites and Astronauts.

I don't see your point with Alice In Chains. It's just how a human heart looks. I see inspiration from the "Come Clarity" artwork and from Satellites and Astronauts.

Anders loves Alice in Chains. The tattoo heart is nearly identical to the one on their artwork, with some stuff just added on top of it. CC heart looks nowhere the same.

Other than Claypants shitting himself in his posts, and Vanilla syrup promoting another atrocious band in Soilwork, this has to be one of the dumbest posts I've read in this topic...all 70+ pages. Throw in the other dude you were responding to who said that extreme metal is "childish"...? In reverse order: I've never heard that argument. Childish how? Because of the vocals I presume? Uh well Go listen to pre-Clayman IF. Those are extreme metal vocals, not far off at all from Jeff Walker or even Chris Barns. The main differentiations comes in pitch and register. So, that notion is completely, well, insane I guess is the best word. Extreme metal is home to the best musicians in the heavy metal genre. So, you're missing out on some great musicianship and music.

Next, to the above quoted. How in the world does it make sense to enjoy a band in the live setting and say you won't go listen to their studio output? Again, I've never heard someone express that concept. You like them, but you won't listen to them? Very weird. In case you didn't know, Carcass absolutely destroys In Flames in every way possible. Better guitarists, drumming, songwriting, oh and...more integrity. I mean seriously, just see for yourself. Play the two songs back to back. One is objectively better than the other. Go on, play them...

You're still an autist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than Claypants shitting himself in his posts, and Vanilla syrup promoting another atrocious band in Soilwork, this has to be one of the dumbest posts I've read in this topic...all 70+ pages. Throw in the other dude you were responding to who said that extreme metal is "childish"...? In reverse order: I've never heard that argument. Childish how? Because of the vocals I presume? Uh well Go listen to pre-Clayman IF. Those are extreme metal vocals, not far off at all from Jeff Walker or even Chris Barns. The main differentiations comes in pitch and register. So, that notion is completely, well, insane I guess is the best word. Extreme metal is home to the best musicians in the heavy metal genre. So, you're missing out on some great musicianship and music.

Next, to the above quoted. How in the world does it make sense to enjoy a band in the live setting and say you won't go listen to their studio output? Again, I've never heard someone express that concept. You like them, but you won't listen to them? Very weird. In case you didn't know, Carcass absolutely destroys In Flames in every way possible. Better guitarists, drumming, songwriting, oh and...more integrity. I mean seriously, just see for yourself. Play the two songs back to back. One is objectively better than the other. Go on, play them...

Yeah you should totally write this down on paper and shove it down your ass. That would really help. Thank you.

So basically, US first week sales...

Come Clarity: 24,000
ASOP: 20,000
SOAPF: 14,000
SC: 9,000

:D the Americans are not impressed with N'Flaymz maturity by the looks of things. In Flames seemed to have released their album at the right time though, as only 9,000 sales has got them spot 26 on the chart, whereas 24,000 sales got them only to 58.
You are comparing album sales in 2006 with 2014, which is just stupid, really. Everyone knows that the industry is dying in that regards, there are extremely few bands/artists who can maintain or even increase album sales, and even that means their previous work sucked. Usually.

Lady Gaga:
The Fame (2008) - 4,5 million the in US
Artpop (2013) - 725k in the US

Linkin Park:
M2M (2007): 3M in the US
Living Things (2012): 750k in the US

Cannibal Corpse (fucking relevant!)
Kill (2006): 6000+ in the US
Torture (2012): 9000+ in the US

Obviously these are final sales, but they show two things:
1. It's all about the downloads and tours these days, you can't judge shit from sales. You might as well said "SC is no. 27, so it performed better than the previous records!", because that's the other side of the coin.
2. CC >>>>>>> everything else

We will know how IF performed with SC from the reactions of Sony, which will take some tours. Sony will ditch them asap if they won't live up to the expectations.

Edit: can we get itunes and other download site stats? I knew they were no.1, but I'm interested in some more relevant stats.