Katatonia: Overrated in the underground community?

Katatonia: Overrated in the underground community?

• Yes.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No.

Votes: 34 59.6%

• Total voters
I just listened to LFDGD and didn't consider one track to be an abortion, aberration, aborigine, or any other "A" word. To each their own I suppose. I'll have to listen to Viva La Emptiness again. But as it stands now, the Great Cold Distance may be their best modern day recording to date imo. Hey you heard it here first. :err:

Reign in Acai said:
Music that has any depth to it at all, requires multiple listens. Your "ostrich head in the sand" knowledge when it comes to music is apparent from your responses in the March Madness thread. Honestly, how much music do you experiment with on a yearly basis? 5-6 new albums? This shows me that metal and music in general is nothing more than a leisurely activity for you. Your a person who goes out and buys the top 3 ranked albums buy Terrorizer, then calls it a year. Fuck mate, put some effort in to this art will ye? Not everything is going to grab you by the balls like the New In Flames...Just a word of advice is all. :cool:

Wow, just wow. Let's see. I listen to probably 100-200 new albums each year, if not more. Back when Audiogalaxy was big, it was probably more in the range of 500. Beyond that, there's so much wrong with your post I don't even know where to begin. I've never liked In Flames, never read even a single review in Terrorizer, and hadn't listened to a lot of March Madness bands because they were primarily black metal, which IMO is the least musically-interesting sub-genre of metal besides European Power Metal.

jimbobhickville said:
Wow, just wow. Let's see. I listen to probably 100-200 new albums each year, if not more. Back when Audiogalaxy was big, it was probably more in the range of 500. Beyond that, there's so much wrong with your post I don't even know where to begin. I've never liked In Flames, never read even a single review in Terrorizer, and hadn't listened to a lot of March Madness bands because they were primarily black metal, which IMO is the least musically-interesting sub-genre of metal besides European Power Metal.

Eh Who cares? The moment has passed.

I see. You make an ass of yourself, and when called on it, you just pretend like you didn't care.

Just FYI, I listen to everything I download at least twice before writing it off. I think I listened to that Katatonia probably 4 or 5 times, trying to figure out why people raved about them so much. Then I deleted it.

with Dick here. I enjoy DoDS and love BMD, but I cannot get into the "alternative" albums. Jonas is way too monotome

JayKeeley said:
Maybe so, but even then I didn't realize Moonspell were even that popular. Nevertheless, what seems certain is that Moonspell will take to the stage after Katatonia.

EDIT: Maybe the Kat-boys like to get an early night. :loco:

I'm certainly hoping that it's a co-headlining deal, I know Moonspell have their fans and have been around just as long, but they are not deserving of top billing over Katatonia IMO. And I cannot stand Fernando's vocals.
As for the comment about Last Fair Deal being loathed, on their forum it got more votes in a poll than Tonight's Decision, so that may not be the case. The only tracks I dislike on there are We Must Bury You and Don't Tell A Soul (sorry Pyrus), a few others are average but not offensive. And Future Of Speech is in my top ten tracks by them.

Moonspell has owned for a very long time, but people are gay like that.

Brave Murder Day is pretty brilliant, but I haven't heard anything else from them. Haven't even seen much fanboyism around here, but alright.

jimbobhickville said:
I see. You make an ass of yourself, and when called on it, you just pretend like you didn't care.

Just FYI, I listen to everything I download at least twice before writing it off. I think I listened to that Katatonia probably 4 or 5 times, trying to figure out why people raved about them so much. Then I deleted it.

Downloaded? Wtf, Die.

I really don't care to the point of making a 9 page issue of the ordeal. Just pointing out that you came off as a fucking cunt by slagging a band you heard 1 fucking time in a year long forgotten.

Well, I hardly slagged them. I said the album I heard was boring and that they're overrated IMFO. Then you decided to be a cunt and started the whole mess. Anyhoo, yes I downloaded it because a) I don't know anyone locally who listens to metal, let alone Katatonia, and b) I had a list of about 50 albums I knew I wanted to buy before I'd get around to blind buying a goth rock album I had never heard.

After the amazing turnaround of The Great Cold Distance, I'd never call this band overrated. I'm going back and relistening to Tonight's Decision and LFDGD now and having trouble appreciating them as much by comparison to the new one! It makes Viva Emptiness look so fucking weak by comparison in every way... songwriting, recording, musicianship, variety, atmosphere. Their best album in a long time.

Demilich said:
After the amazing turnaround of The Great Cold Distance, I'd never call this band overrated. I'm going back and relistening to Tonight's Decision and LFDGD now and having trouble appreciating them as much by comparison to the new one! It makes Viva Emptiness look so fucking weak by comparison in every way... songwriting, recording, musicianship, variety, atmosphere. Their best album in a long time.
Wow, I completely disagree

Then again I haven't actually listened to the new one as much as it deserves, but VE kills it IMO

Don't get me wrong Erik, I love VE, but it sounds a bit stale and monotonous, especially in the middle. This new one, each of the first six tracks at least (haven't paid as much attention to the rest, but July and In the White are up there too) are fucking quality, very distinct songs with an atmosphere to them that VE doesn't even approach. Many of them remind me of 'Evidence' off of VE, but taken to a new level.

I'd keep trying with this one. It isn't just me who thinks this either. I was reading some thread on the Katatonia board and it seems Jesse among others are pretty much 100% in agreement.

I think Evidence is one of the more boring songs on VE so yeah that might be part of it

"Will I Arrive", "Wealth", "Walking by a Wire", "Complicity" and "Burn the Rememberance" are probably my favs

I really do have to go back and relisten, must've listened to it once or twice in the past year

pretty sure evidence/omerta/inside the city of glass were my favourite bit

As with most Katatonia albums, VE has one song I think is significantly weaker than the rest, and that would be Wealth, one of the few cases where I feel the contrast between the melodic and dissonant sections simply doesn't work. Best song there would have to be Burn The Remembrance by a small margin, but the three song punch ending with Evidence is hard to beat. Overall, I'd have to say I like TGCD a bit more, probably because it flows better as an album IMO.

Reign in Acai said:
Downloaded? Wtf, Die.

I really don't care to the point of making a 9 page issue of the ordeal. Just pointing out that you came off as a fucking cunt by slagging a band you heard 1 fucking time in a year long forgotten.

Papa Josh said:
But yeah, I would say that Katatonia has its share of fanboys, some even on the Opethian level...

greenchainsaw.gif

I like the Jhva Elohim Meth EP a lot, Brave Murder Day and Discouraged Ones as full albums, but after that, I only like certain songs. The later albums on a whole don't hold me for long.