LIVING SACRIFICE

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Please post all questions, comments & anything related to this artist here.

Conceived In Fire

living_conceived.jpg

Yeah, good thing it was the BAD guitarist...Rocky Grey though was the man. He totally helped that band turn into the LS that I love the most! Check out "The Hammering Process" and of course "Conceived in Fire."

I will say...I wish the mix was better, but I'm sure the amps they were using weren't the best either...Still one of my favs of theirs.

It's also funny how Rocky ended up drumming for Evenescience. I like the first album, it had a total slayer meets old sepultura vibe. Nonexist has the weirdest vocals ever, sounds like the singer is just moaning thru every song. I'll have to check out the last 2 albums though, my collection stopped after Reborn.

Yeah, Living Sac are my boys! Reborn, Hammering Process, Conceived in Fire, are all MUST OWN albums! Good to see Rocky out in the mainstream. Also check out Rocky and Lance's other band "SOUL EMBRACED"!!!!!! The second track on the Soul Embraced album "My Blood" has one of the coolest "fade out" riffs I've ever heard!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Yeah, Living Sac are my boys! Reborn, Hammering Process, Conceived in Fire, are all MUST OWN albums! Good to see Rocky out in the mainstream. Also check out Rocky and Lance's other band "SOUL EMBRACED"!!!!!! The second track on the Soul Embraced album "My Blood" has one of the coolest "fade out" riffs I've ever heard!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

i've only heard 2 soul embraced songs, and they were heavy as hell. Lance is a killer drummer.

I agree...the hammering process not only had a better set of songs, but the songs weren't so muddy = X

Sorry andy...

I do think Lance Garvin totally stole the use of the China for parts that make you want to groove lol...I can't help but think of him when I hear a china in another bands song.

Conceived in Fire is one of my favorite albums. I have nothing bad to say about this band... but yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the mix myself. Still rock that album now and then though.

Was just listening to "Conceived in Fire" today in the car, and I must say the room sound on the percussion is awesome. Its adds a different vide to the songs. Plus the aggression and emotion in Living Sacrifice songs is something all together. I really miss this band. But a good last album to go out on. :headbang:

RemoWilliams said:
I must say the room sound on the percussion is awesome. Its adds a different vibe to the songs

I've always thought the same thing. Those drums pounding in the background for the first 20 seconds or so of "Symbiotic" sound really powerful, like some Lord of the Rings army marching or something...awesome.

GuitarGodgt said:
What albums did andy do work on? If it was Concieved in Fire well then good, but Hammering Process was better.

What in the world? I can hear that the overall master on "The Hammering Process" is slightly brighter, but the guitars, drums...everything sounds so much better on "Conceived In Fire". The drums on "The Hammering Process" aren't so great sounding, and especially the snare, seriously sounds like it was recorded in a bedroom, without any processing done to it whatsoever. Andy's mix on the latter album is tremedously better.

I've always thought the same thing. Those drums pounding in the background for the first 20 seconds or so of "Symbiotic" sound really powerful, like some Lord of the Rings army marching or something...awesome.

What in the world? I can hear that the overall master on "The Hammering Process" is slightly brighter, but the guitars, drums...everything sounds so much better on "Conceived In Fire". The drums on "The Hammering Process" aren't so great sounding, and especially the snare, seriously sounds like it was recorded in a bedroom, without any processing done to it whatsoever. Andy's mix on the latter album is tremedously better.

No dude I am saying that not only is the sound of Hammering better, the songs are.

Was just listening to "Conceived in Fire" today in the car, and I must say the room sound on the percussion is awesome. Its adds a different vide to the songs. Plus the aggression and emotion in Living Sacrifice songs is something all together. I really miss this band. But a good last album to go out on. :headbang:

Yeah, they have a percussion guy playing live, along with Lance. I don't know if Lance tracked all the extra toms or the second drummer, but yeah a lot of toms going on.

wouldnt be any different, all I had was POD tracks from what I remember. Y'know it always makes me laugh to read comments like these on here. What is becoming more and more noticable on this forum is some of you have no idea the kind of fixing and sorting out of poorly recorded sessions that professional mixers like myself and colin have to do. Living Sacrifice wasn't terrible, just wasn't great, especially gtrs. But I like the album, good band, shame they broke up.

... What is becoming more and more noticable on this forum is some of you have no idea the kind of fixing and sorting out of poorly recorded sessions that professional mixers like myself and colin have to do. ....

sorry to disagree, but i think engineers like me that are not as sought after as Colin and you have way more jobs that are nothing but fixing things and "make shit fly" speaking for me it's about 60-80% of my job to fix poorly recorded rehearsalroom-demos etc. just because we're doing the bands that don't have any money/label, so they're trying to save at any possible corner, that means either recording themselves in their practice-room or booking too little studio-time etc.
just speaking for me (but i think it's similar with many others here that are just starting their business) fixing things is the main part of the job, and i know pretty well how unsatisfying it is to be blamed for a "not so perfect sound" even though it's not your fault and you deserve to be honored for making candy out of crap...
noone knows how it sounded before, so you're judged for the result...even though it might be a fucking miracle compared to the tracks we/you got.

sorry if i sound to bitchy or got you wrong or so, but i just felt weird to read stuff like
... What is becoming more and more noticable on this forum is some of you have no idea the kind of fixing and sorting out of poorly recorded sessions that professional mixers like myself and colin have to do. ....
when that's 80% of your dayjob and you struggle with problems like that all the time just to make a living......
i think most of us here know pretty much what a bitch fixing poorly recorded stuff can be.....what i really don't know is how it is to record a band that's well prepared, has got enough money to book let's say 2 weeks for tracking and another 2 for mixing sweetening etc...

sorry for disagreeing, but perhaps i just misunderstood you ;)

I haven't listened to that Living Sacrifice Cd, yet.....
might have to give it a try though..
btw, none did really criticize your work on it ;)

"Some of you" didn't apply to everybody of course, but it's true that while some people here know what they're talking about, a big majority is still learning and here to learn (which is good) and never recorded or mixed anything else than a POD and Drumkit From Hell.

wouldnt be any different, all I had was POD tracks from what I remember. Y'know it always makes me laugh to read comments like these on here. What is becoming more and more noticable on this forum is some of you have no idea the kind of fixing and sorting out of poorly recorded sessions that professional mixers like myself and colin have to do. Living Sacrifice wasn't terrible, just wasn't great, especially gtrs. But I like the album, good band, shame they broke up.

Nevertheless, you did an amazing job on this album! You know I have this album in my posession since it was released but just like 4 months ago I discovered andy mixed it. I always thought it sounded awesome but I never check to whom actually mixed it! :zombie:

I digress, I am a moron. If all you had were POD tracks then holly shit that record sounds amazing for what you had.

I admit I am not a know it all by any means, I was just going off of what I liked aurally.

"Some of you" didn't apply to everybody of course, but it's true that while some people here know what they're talking about, a big majority is still learning and here to learn (which is good) and never recorded or mixed anything else than a POD and Drumkit From Hell.

k, you're right....
I should read and write a little bit more careful.
I'm just so pissed with the same thing, having to fix other peoples mistakes and getting the blame for it not sounding like slipknot ;)