LONG HAIR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this thread philosophy related? This is not what this forum is for, this topic belongs in the Opeth forum.

Someone close this thread please...

Come on Justin, you've been coming to this forum as long as I have. This discussion is pathetic, immature & directionless and doesnt belong in this forum imo.

Im a newbie and even I agree with the hubster. I only even took part in this particular thread because I did a google search for long hair websites and believe it or not this thread link was located in the top results. So I saw this thread before seeing the forum it was in posted in. (yes thats right I did a google search for long hair websites because I love long hair!)

No this isn't philosophical at all, just chat. "Every idea counts as philosophy" does it Justin S? :lol: You'll have to learn to differentiate between philosophy and idle chat some day.

I have long hair and a beard. And yes, it does make me look the way I like myself looking (except for my ex-gf for some reason :erk:).

I think long hair thing in metal is an attempt to be 'easily recognisable'. Its like a bald roof of a buddhist monk.. like a signature of your 'metal'ness, as idiotic as it may sound. People who gave birth to metal (the likes of led zeppelin and sabbath) were considered 'satanic music' back in the late 60s and early 70s.. they were 'freaks' to the cultured-folk. They HAD to do something different to stand up from the crowd.

Has anyone found long hair to be a disadvantage in fights? I suppose it couuld well be, but then again it is supposed to intimidate other men. It has been said that if a man has good long hair it causes jealousy in other men and they say they don't like it for this reason. It can be a display like a peacock's tail feathers.

This is a brief summary of what short hair on men is all about:

"For much of human history, both men and women had long hair, and men usually had long beards as well. In the 4th century BC Alexander the Great of Macedonia had his soldiers wear short hair and shave off their beards, so that their ememies couldn't grab their hair or beards in battle. The Romans were the first culture where all the men generally wore their hair short and shaved their beards, again for military reasons. After Rome conquered most of Europe and the Mediterranean, short hair came to be associated with what Rome stood for: civilization, "law and order", loyalty to the state, conservatism, military discipline, etc. Long hair was associated with barbarians, women, "effeminate" greek philosophers and wimpy romantics. The Roman senate took a dim view of emperors like Hadrian who "went Greek" by wearing a beard and longer hair.

When the germanic "barbarian" tribes overran the West in the 5th century AD, many of them were already partly Romanized -- i.e. they had converted to Christianity, served in the Roman army and learned to appreciate Roman culture. Although many continued to wear their hair long, the idea of men's short hair standing for civilization, law and discipline was preserved, and has continued to the present day."

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/30673

Spartan soldiers, between and before battles, would spend significant amounts of time washing and grooming their hair. It was considered a mark of their pride.

And now for my worst, but yet, most right on the dot post:

shitthread.gif

musicalorgasms said:
if someone is going to grow their hair long because they want to rebel against pop trends then what difference does it make if your growing your hair long because you are for or against short hair trends? Either way you are doing it because of popular trends and I think that is an ultra lame motivation to do, anything.

I agree 100%.
Most metal-heads who attempt to "look metal" are simply following the herd (albeit a much smaller herd than the popularly accepted one). There's no way to deny this.

Status
Not open for further replies.