LONG HAIR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norsemaiden said:
Has anyone found long hair to be a disadvantage in fights?
Can't...resist...posting...

I never visit any other portion of the UMF site because I find threads like this to be lackluster; and I thought about how to turn this thread into something more along a philosophical bent (best I could come up with was sociological)...but in the end, I am willing to see the benefit in this topic as a nice, innocuous, bonding moment for those who frequent The Philosopher.

That said, I have studied martial arts for over twenty years, and long hair is a pain in the ass. I have a lot of hair:

BrianofVulgar.jpg

Before practicing, I have to braid it, fold it over and tie it off. On the few occassions wherein I have gotten into fights while my hair was down, it has been a distinct disadvantage and I find that I fight differently because of it. Luckily, on the few occassions where this has been an issue, the other combatant(s) were not skilled enough for it to really be problematic (either that, or the situation was such that short hair would not have helped me anyway...).

"Never understood why metal guys have long hair"

Because it rocks -_- And as mentioned, headbanging purposes, headbanging with short hair looks like you're having some sort of attack.

And anyway, guess it's mostly just a tradition. I've always had long hair compared to most, got used to it, now I'm to afraid to cut it off :p :D

I'd love to grow long hair, but unfortunately it's just not socially acceptable
when you work in a company/office, unless of course you're the boss. I'd be told to cut it shorter. Do you guys not work or are most of you still at school?

I work at a pharmacy store in the city and one of co-workers asked ne "Why do you have your hair in your face? You ain't no girl" and I told her "Haven't you ever seen guys with long hair?" and she said "Only faggots". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I tried to explain to her that guys that listen to rock tend to grow long hair for head banging purposes, but she didn't understand. :rolleyes:

I prefer girls with long hair because I think it looks better, so why can't guys grow long hair if they think it makes them look better? Why did guys start cutting their hair short anyways? I think long hair makes me look sexier. :heh:

ARC150 said:
Can't...resist...posting...I never visit any other portion of the UMF site because I find threads like this to be lackluster; and I thought about how to turn this thread into something more along a philosophical bent (best I could come up with was sociological)...but in the end, I am willing to see the benefit in this topic as a nice, innocuous, bonding moment for those who frequent The Philosopher.That said, I have studied martial arts for over twenty years, and long hair is a pain in the ass. I have a lot of hair:
BrianofVulgar.jpg

Before practicing, I have to braid it, fold it over and tie it off. On the few occassions wherein I have gotten into fights while my hair was down, it has been a distinct disadvantage and I find that I fight differently because of it. Luckily, on the few occassions where this has been an issue, the other combatant(s) were not skilled enough for it to really be problematic (either that, or the situation was such that short hair would not have helped me anyway...).
in the bible
there's a passage about hair length
it was basically a message to males to keep their hair short enough for succesfull hand-to-hand combat, slaughtering pagans, and for the females to keep their hair long enough to identify them as non-combatants

So does that mean that long hair makes you not have to fight? AWESOME!! I'm too lazy to fight.

Seriously, that actually sounds like a reasonable reason for hair length. If only it wasn't the rule for hair length.

Ptah Khnemu said:
So does that mean that long hair makes you not have to fight? AWESOME!! I'm too lazy to fight.

Seriously, that actually sounds like a reasonable reason for hair length. If only it wasn't the rule for hair length.

:lol:

ARC150 said:
Can't...resist...posting...

I never visit any other portion of the UMF site because I find threads like this to be lackluster; and I thought about how to turn this thread into something more along a philosophical bent (best I could come up with was sociological)...but in the end, I am willing to see the benefit in this topic as a nice, innocuous, bonding moment for those who frequent The Philosopher.

That said, I have studied martial arts for over twenty years, and long hair is a pain in the ass. I have a lot of hair:

BrianofVulgar.jpg

Yes it seems that you have to tie it back if there is a possibility of getting in a fight. Anyone working with machinery should take care that their hair doesn't get trapped. That's the main reason why women started having short hair - during the industrial revolution.
Women save a lot of money by having long hair because that kind of midlength or shorter has to be professionally cut and inevitably requires all sorts of yucky (health harming) products and blowdrying. And men think it looks nicer long, as I argued to my short haired mother. She replied: "but why would you want to look good to men?!" which somewhat baffled me. (One of those: "I can't imagine my parents ever having had sex" moments). But I digress.

hibernal_dream said:
when you work in a company/office, unless of course you're the boss. I'd be told to cut it shorter. Do you guys not work or are most of you still at school?

I also work in an office, and at least 2 guys in our office havwe long hair (=/- 50 persons in our office but our company is the biggest phone company in Canada). Guess you might not be working in the right office for long hairs.

I use to have long hairs but I started losing them in the front for some reasons and when I cut them they stop falling so I keep them short now.

Worry not my viking friend, my eugenic super eyes detected the issue before any real damage was done. So people walking by me don't even notice anything. Only if you scrutinize my forehead will you observe that the left side is actually missing a few hair.

Being of a scientific nature, I tried to understand why the hair actually stop falling when I cut it down. Because reducing the lenght of my hair could not have stop the androgen process if this would have been the cause. I was never an "hairy" guy, at 32 I can't even grow a full beard (My moustache just wont reach down to my pinch leaving close to a inch of hailess skin in between!!). My theory is that my hairs are very thin and "weak" and I always had to tied them up to work (for security reasons) causing a tearing stress on the hair who for some reason stopped growing on the edges. I could be blatantly wrong, but the hair loss did stop! I cut them 10 years ago already, how time runs fast!

It's good that you sorted that problem out Mikobas!:)
I don't know if you have heard of the show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" where you live. That is what inspired my previous post - but if you haven't heard of it then it would be confusing. I have an odd sense of humour anyway.

I do know about that TV show. Actually, here in Canada, we have all the major US channels.

I understood the humour, I just needed the world to know I was not going bald for some reason. Or maybe it was just that I wanted to avoid being prevented from joining the "Norsemaiden Official Fan Club" (I read that in a post somewhere).!! lol!!

Personal Invitation, how nice!! But aren't you concerned about the jealousy this might cause among your minions? lol!!

hibernal_dream said:
When I was younger, I was passed over for certain work because of the long hair. Backed by the force of adolescent idealism/naivete, I decided that any job for which I had to cut my hair was not a job that I wanted.

Now I produce video games on the USA West Coast - so what I am wearing in that on-stage pic was the same thing I was wearing at work earlier that same day.

What is your occupation?

Good evening. My name is ubermensch Johnny, I am a little unsecure about my masculinity and manhood (only subcounscously, offcourse) and I think that what makes me be a man is pretty much in a looking like man suppose to look like according to current fashion in society. I am also afraid to have long hair because girls have long hair, and if I have it, then it makes me almost like a girl too, right? And those guys in scotland, they are even worst, wearing skirts and stuff. I mean, did I said twice that all of you look like girls to me because you have long hair? Yeah, well maybe I should mention that again.
I am homofobic a bit maybe because of my supressed bisexuality, that makes differentiating guys and girls quite a difficult for me, so please don't make it even more difficult for me by growing long hair...

And one more thing: Why are all of you having two legs? It is so strange and confusing, all of girls I know have two legs too, it makes it even more hard to make a difference for me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.