MACHINE HEAD

tubescreamer -> sansamp bdi can get you ridiculously close to that bass tone

I wish I kept the exact settings. I tried to copy this tone with that setup. I got to what was really close to my ears, then put my tone against that exact intro you're talking about with voxengo curve eq, to match it. And I swear the curve it came back with to 'match' the original was basically flat with the tiniest little notch.

Edit: still have the file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4924305/bennyh-0D808_Sansamp-TMTCtone.mp3
It was a cort bass with mighty mite pick ups

wow that bass sounded sick man! :headbang: i try to play with those tips,thanx a lot!

Does anyone happen to know the type of tubes loaded in Bubba? (not that I'd run out and buy them or anything :saint:)
:kickass:

@Andy: you recorded those rhythm guitars on the rhythm channel? why not the lead channel? Did you use a TS to boost the rhythm channel?

@the other 5150 users here: do you guys use the rhythm or lead channel fpr heavy rhythm guitars in the style of MH?

Hey Mattayus!
Thanks for the answer! Well, that's the way i do it too. I boost the red channel and use the rhythm for "cleans".
I tried boosting the rhythm channel but it still was too dry IMO. But perhaps that's a cool way to do it in recording situations, when recording 2 or 4 guitar tracks.

You can make the two sound almost identical if using the "bright" and "crunch" settings on the rhythm channel. It's just less saturated and duller by default, so by wetting and brightening it up it almost becomes a lead channel anyway, just with a slightly different voicing.

Hello everybody, stupidly asked: any Idea with which Superior 2.0 or ezDrummer (Metal Machine etc.) Soundset I'm able to get a similar Bassdrum-Sound like on THE MORE THINGS CHANGE? Thanks in advance for any Hint ...

Hello everybody, stupidly asked: any Idea with which Superior 2.0 or ezDrummer (Metal Machine etc.) Soundset I'm able to get a similar Bassdrum-Sound like on THE MORE THINGS CHANGE? Thanks in advance for any Hint ...

I'm not familiar with superior drummer whatsoever, but the kick is half(?) blended with the pantera kick from far beyond driven :)

If you don't have the sample, you can make it yourself with five minutes alone quite easily :)

Thanks!!! - Oh my gosh, so you want to say that he really used the first Kick (not even multisamples then) in "5 Minutes alone" and blended it with the real Bassdrum? If so, any Info on which acoustic Bassdrum was used for "The More Things Change"? (There are tons of models in the packs from Superior and ez, would be nice to know the real one).

You can have 500 different samples of the same bass drum, size, brand, wood etc and ALL of them will sound COMPLETELY different. I have a Mapex Saturn kick drum sample...does it sound like Chris Adler's bass drum? No.

Dave has used Ddrum, Tama and Pearl drums in the past.

PS: I personally don't think there is any natural bass drum in that sound.

Thanks!!! - Oh my gosh, so you want to say that he really used the first Kick (not even multisamples then) in "5 Minutes alone" and blended it with the real Bassdrum? If so, any Info on which acoustic Bassdrum was used for "The More Things Change"? (There are tons of models in the packs from Superior and ez, would be nice to know the real one).

He definitely used more than just the first kick, but if you're on a budget, cut the intro from 5 minutes alone and you'll get a one shot pantera sample, that's what I meant :p

The kit he used on the more things change was more than likely pearl or tama. He ditched ddrum for yamaha in 2007.

Like jaymz says though, You can have a million samples that'll all sound different, and after giving the album a spin again, it doesn't sound like there's very much, if any at all, of the natural kick.